PDA

View Full Version : the best pumpkin soup on earth!!

Jody
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well, it's my ultimate Pumpkin-y soup recipe anyway! :)

1 Onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 Pumpkin (Jap or Butternup)
1 sweet potato
1 potato
1 red capsicum (skinned)
1 stock cube (optional)

Directions:

- Fry onion, garlic in pot with some olive oil
- Add pumpkin, sweet potato, potato and capsicum, continue to stir in
- Dissolve stock cube in boiling water then add in
- Add boiling water (measurement dependent on how thick you like your soup!)
- Simmer and serve!

YUM!

emmapresley
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:28 AM
sounds good :)

is skinning the pepper compulsory to the success of the recipe?
lazy cooks like myself need to know such detail

Jody
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Haha no! I do it *sometimes because it ensures no floaty bits of hard capsicum skin in the perfectly pureed soup! haha

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM
that sounds delicious. i also have a pumpkin soup recipe that i'd like to share. it's nothing like this one, but it's very good. farro is available in italian markets or health food stores and is sometimes labeled spelt. butternut or calabaza squash can be substituted for the pumpkin if necessary.

PUMPKIN SOUP WITH ESCAROLE AND FARRO

5T olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, sliced or bruised
1 onion, chopped
9 1" long leafy fresh sage sprigs, or 1t dried
1c farro
3/4lb piece pumpkin peeled, seeded, and diced (about 1/2lb when diced)
2 1/2 quarts vegetable broth
6oz escarole (heart and leaves), roughly chopped
sea salt
fresh pepper

in a soup pot, warm together the oil and garlic over medium-low heat until the garlic is fragrant and wilted but not colored, bout 2 minutes. add the onion and fresh or dried sage and saute gently, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened but not deeply colored, 8 to 10 minutes. stir in the farro and saute for about 1 minute to coat with the oil. add the pumpkin and continue to saute until it begins to sweat, about 10 minutes.
pour in the broth, stirring to mix, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin and the farro are cooked, about 45 minutes. the hulls of the farro grains ensure their chewiness, even after cooking, but the center should be tender. if fresh sage has been used remove and discard. stir in the escarole and simmer until it is tender but not falling apart, about 5 minutes longer. season with salt and pepper.