PDA

View Full Version : Pret temporarily removing vegan options

Pages : [1] 2

Zero
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM
When I went into the local Pret the other day I was disapointed to see that they were not carrying the Houmous Salad Sandwich, No Bread Mezze or the Health and Houmous Salad anymore. When I asked the guy in the store, he didn't know when or if they were coming back. :rolleyes:

So the only vegan things left are the Veggie Sushi, fruit, some of the crisps and the a couple of the soups on certain days. (fyi some of their items don't actually say they are vegan in the store but the website does)

I wrote to them to ask about this and outlined that myself and many other vegans appreciate that Pret is normally one of the few places we can go to get quality vegan food on the go and that I hoped they would would bring these options back or create new ones.

They sent me a nice email back letting me know that these menu items have been removed because of the Christmas food they are selling at the moment, and they will return in January.
They said that they would pass my comments on to marketing team and thanked me for my comments.:)

Perhaps if a few more of you that buy food from Pret write explaining that you miss the vegan menu items it might encourage them to rethink removing a number of our options and make them further consider what a large consumer group we are.
They have always been good in the past but this current situation kind of disapoints me.

http://www.pret.com/customer_services/

(Wasn't sure whether to put this under Letter Writing or Food, but I guess it falls into both so I will let admin decide) :)

harpy
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'll write. It's not my favourite place because of the McDonald's connection but they are a useful standby in "emergencies". In fact I was in one the other day and noticed that the veggie sushi was the only thing they had that seemed to be vegan.

ETA when I emailed them I pointed out it was Christmas for vegans too :D

Zero
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah the McDonalds connection bothers me too but it at least proves that the vegan lifestyle is thriving. Lets face it McDonalds are big investers these days they probably have more fingers in more pies than we know about, they seem to be opening less McDonalds stores and focusing on other aspects of their business lately.

I feel it is important that these mainstream vegan items are mantained.

I am glad you are writing to them :).

It's funny, a friend of mine wanted to go into a McDonalds to get a cup of coffee but I told them there was no way I was going to set foot inside one of those places so we went elsewhere lol.

Marrers
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM
How disappointing. Thanks for letting us know Zero. I'll be making my views known (have already had communications with someone there about another issue so will use that email address).
And yes harpy, they could have created a vegan xmas sandwich instead - good point.

flying plum
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM
i noticed this at stansted airport a few weeks ago. that houmous sandwich was a great breakfast when i knew i wasn't going to get anything vegan for some time :(

booooooo, pret! although, i haven't actually bought anything from there for ages...ended up in starbucks at standsted - i think that might be worse!

amanda

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
i don't buy food from Pret really but i'm going to complain anyway.

AnneCE
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I use Pret in emergencies - maybe 6 times a year - and so I've complained.

As an alternative, Boots has a new vegan sandwich - they withdrew their hummus and grated carrot ages ago and there was nothing for months - now they have one which has tofu and chilli jam (sweet chilli sauce I would call it). It's nice enough.

I prefer not to buy from either but sometimes, am stuck and it's better than nothing. Just having a vegan option in their shops makes veganism a bit more visible and possible.

Joeybee
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
That's really annoying, I have realised there is a Pret round the corner from my uni and was planning on going in there at lunch times to get a sandwich! I'm going to have to find somewhere else now!

Zero
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
As an alternative, Boots has a new vegan sandwich - they withdrew their hummus and grated carrot ages ago and there was nothing for months - now they have one which has tofu and chilli jam (sweet chilli sauce I would call it). It's nice enough.

Sounds cool and innovative. I will have to check that out.

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
i haven't bought anything in Boots for a while but they definitely had the Bugsy sandwich in London branches within the last couple of months. is the new tofu one also the Fresh Organics brand?

Sluggie
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM
That's a shame. I love the no-bread mezze. At least it's only temporary (I hope).

Cumin
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
AnneCE, I had a bugsy one only the other day from a Boots, so perhaps this withdrawal you have seen is just a local thing.
I'll also be writing to Pret as I'd noticed the lack of vegan options recently too.

AnneCE
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Has anyone heard from Pret yet? I got a reply last night - it was sent twice and then an e-mail recalling it. This is the text:

Hi Anne,

We've made some significant changes to the way some of our shops operate (we've done
this to a number of our shops). A number of shops are now a 'Local Pret'.
Customers enjoy 'local Pret' in a different way to the 'takeaway' Pret; they chill
out, sit in comfort, chat, gossip and read newspapers.

We refined the menu in order to reduce the amount of food that ends up in the bin at
the end of the day. Our shop teams now concentrate their efforts on making the most
popular sandwiches, salads, wraps and baguettes. As a result of this, the ranges we
can offer have had to change slightly too as all our food is made fresh on site
every day. In addition, it is true that during specific seasons some pre-existing
products will be replaced with the new seasonal alternative.

I hope we haven't upset you too much. We do review our menus regularly and we will
monitor customer feedback on these changes. Thanks again for contacting us about
this.

Regards,

Rose.
Seems like a stock reply, no reference to vegan products at all. I'll wait till Monday to see if I get a proper reply and if not, will contact them again.

alisont
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Pret was on my list of 'places to find vegan option when out with work' but yesterday when out with students i went to baguette de monde - it does alter between branches but one of the 8 or so Birmingham branches (paradise forum) does houmous bagettue with caramalised oninon and grated carrot - they tell me the bread is vegan there, its cheap and cheerful and they do veggie chili in a jacket (i need to email them to find out if its vegan) they also had a juice bar. Much cheaper than Pret too. And they did 10% student discount.

I only used pret on rare occasions, but do feel annoyed about the recent lack of vegan options. I must get round to emailing them.

Marrers
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Seems like a deliberately vague reply AnneCE. I also got a reply but did not post as it was not useful - thought I needed to reply to get more specific response, but now I see what has been said above . . .

Hi Marrers

Thanks for your email.

Which shops do you visit most often and have not been finding anything vegan - either the sandwich or the Mezze?

Some of our menus have changed but if I knew which shops you visited I could probably answer in a more detailed way fo ryou.

Kind Regards
Janet

Looks like our days of being able to rely on Pret wherever you are have gone.

Zero
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:48 AM
This is the reply I got after writing to them, it's a lot different from what they told you (I didn't post it originally because I was at work when I started this thread):

Hello Phil,

Many thanks for your email.

We have changed our menu around for the Christmas Period. We should bring back the missed ones in January.

I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot for giving us feed backs - we really do appreciate them. I will forward them to our Marketing team for their appreciation.

Hope this will help.

Caroline

Zero
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Looks like our days of being able to rely on Pret wherever you are have gone.

Indeed, that could be the case.

harpy
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM
I got the same reply as Anne. I wrote back to say that I wasn't at all upset but just wouldn't be going there much any more :)

Marrers
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
I've replied to say which branches I normally use but also enquired about the general situation. The main benefit for me was knowing I could get something to eat wherever I was in London or elsewhere in the country if there was a Pret.

Mr Flibble
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Not that I've ever been in a situation where I've been unable to survive off the only food I've been able to find (which has probably never been less nutricious than the majority of the world's population has to eat); I think I'd rather starve for 48 hours than eat at mcdonalds personally ;)

Risker
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM
If all their food is made 'fresh on site every day' does that mean you could request in advance that they make you something?

Soyalicious
Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
I know for a fact that their food is not made on site everyday fresh and it's delivered, as I used to work near the High St Kensington branch and see their food being delivered, pre-packed around 5am every morning when I was on a night shift next door.

Cumin
Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
I think it must vary from branch to branch, as the one I used to frequent in Cambridge had a little window in the door at the back through which you could see people with piles of sliced bread, fillings etc making the sandwiches.

harpy
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Ah, but they don't say which site, do they? :D

Marrers
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
While lurking on the street waiting for someone I've seen a bloke wheeling a big cage / trolley of Pret sarnies in central London from one site (which was not open to the public) to one of the shops some doors down. He then took the trolley on, presumably to another nearby shop.
I guess some of the central London stores are small and don't have room to make them all on site. But I have had sandwiches made for me on the spot when they had run out so they must have some kitchen space and some ingredients.