PDA

View Full Version : Yagga

auntierozzi
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I just read about this new organic vegan food from Italy. I was wondering whether or not anybody has tried it yet and what it's like.

Manzana
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
i think i tried at the vegan fayre in bristol...

My opinion was that it tastes nice but the texture is way too much like meat for my liking (but this might be a good thing for some people)... then again, i might have tried something else and I am confusing both products...

Pob
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I think it was that at the Bristol Vegan Fayre. It reminded me of boil in the bag meat (somewhere between chicken, pork, and beef).

If you are squeamish of foods that are very realistic it might be one to give a miss.

Gorilla
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:42 PM
yes, i have tried some samples of it and found it almost disturbingly meat-like, and i usually enjoy fake meats.

auntierozzi
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your input on this, not sure that it would be worth ordering a big batch in then :-)

animaladvocate
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Curiosity got the better of me so I've just ordered some from here http://www.yagga.co.uk/products/index.html
Watch this space!

animaladvocate
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
The actual link to order if from is here
http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/yagga_vegetarian_steak.html

Mila
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Do they ship to the States? I can't find any information about it on their site.

emzy1985
Dec 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I tried and brought some from the xmas without cruelty fayre. Although not cheap I quite liked it. It's quite healthy compared to other fake meats in the sense that it's low fat, low calorie and has no colesterol. I like it but for some I can see why they wouldn't. It is quite meaty in texture.

Digital Ghost
Dec 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Personally - I have seen the samples at fayres but it looks too realistic and I havent been brave enough. :eek::o:rolleyes:

Redveg993
May 6th, 2008, 02:02 AM
It was quite disconcertingly slimy when I took it out of the packet.

I liked the dense texture but felt that it was quite bland. It would be good with a tasty gravy or sauce but to be frank I would not go out of my way to get it again. Might buy it again if it was on my local supermarket or health food shelf.

harpy
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
They were selling this in Harvest in Bath so I've bought some, but have yet to pluck up the courage to try it. Was searching to see if anyone had any good ideas for using it but perhaps I'll just pretend it's seitan or similar. I don't much mind things resembling meat as long as I'm 100% sure they're not real meat, but the sliminess doesn't sound that appealing :eek:

It's interesting that you don't need to refrigerate it - I suppose that's a good thing.

vegcurry
Jun 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I bought some at the Vegan Fayre and have just finished off a packet of the strips. They were really nice in a stir fry. I'll have to see if I can get some from the shops down here, but I doubt they'll be stocking it yet.

emzy1985
Jun 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I really enjoyed yagga. I'd pluck up the courage hehe!

animaladvocate
Jun 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I am really not a fussy eater and therefore tend to enjoy most foods as long as they are vegan but...

...Yagga tastes repulsive - nauseatingly bland and yet with a nasty chemical-tasting aftertaste that no amount of seasoning, sauces etc could disguise.

Yukky Yagga!

harpy
Jun 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks both - will go for it then!

There don't seem to be that many stockists listed on their website but I don't know how up-to-date that is.

Cumin
Jun 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I tried it (and bought it) at both last years and this years Bristol Fayre. It is extremely meat-like, and has a mild flavour of it's own, but I think it would be good for stir-fry, or with a sauce to up the protein in your meal. It's a bit of variety anyway!
I bought the roast slices this year, and I'm going to try a few different things with them to see how they cope.

Frosty
Jun 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I had some at the East Mids Fayre, and quite liked it at first, but found it rather sickly after more than a few mouthfulls. The man had loads left when he was leaving, so the few of us there scoffed :o Might give it a whirl again though, quite like the idea of a stir fry.

cobweb
Jun 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM
just the pictures on the box make me feel icky!

Redveg993
Jun 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
They were selling this in Harvest in Bath so I've bought some, but have yet to pluck up the courage to try it. Was searching to see if anyone had any good ideas for using it but perhaps I'll just pretend it's seitan or similar. I don't much mind things resembling meat as long as I'm 100% sure they're not real meat, but the sliminess doesn't sound that appealing :eek:

It's interesting that you don't need to refrigerate it - I suppose that's a good thing.

Maybe my previous reference to Yagga's sliminess was a bit far fetched, Harpy. To be fair, I suppose that I was just not expecting to encounter the tactile sensation of copious vegejel on opening the bag inside the packet which contained the product. I would say that it most resembled something like aloe vera jelly. which I have used as a skin cream. However, this can be washed off under the tap. It can then be used, maybe in a casserole with a good tasty stock, e.g. miso and your favourite veggies.

It is interesting that you mention pretending that it is seitan or similar, in fact this is precisely what it is. If you read the blurb on the pack and in the publicity it is gluten from a special type of wheat from Italy and is called 'musculo de grano', which I think roughly translates as 'grain meat' .i.e. seitan.:)

harpy
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Oh well - I won't have to pretend very hard then ;) ! Think it may be adulterated with something else, perhaps lentil flour?... Yes, but only a soupçon it seems..

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=031

Wonder if they're selling any in Italy; I can only see UK websites.

harpy
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I finally used my packet of Yagga in a stir-fry. I did fry it on its own first as advised on the packet.

I thought it was OK and I would probably buy it again occasionally if it was readily available. In a stir-fry, "mock duck" seitan would probably be just as good (and it's easier to get round here, though perhaps a bit saltier). Yagga might have the advantage over mock duck in a western dish as it doesn't seem to have the oriental seasoning.