PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brazil nuts

dreamqueen
Dec 1st, 2007, 02:51 AM
I just got this awesome new book called Ani's Raw Kitchen. The recipes look amazing, but quite a few call for brazil nuts, which I can only eat if I feel like dying from aniphylaxis.

Is there any other nut that's somewhat close in flavour to brazil nuts? I want to try these recipes as near to the original as possible.

Thanks!

twinkle
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
I think macadamias are quite close in texture, and the flavour is probably not far off.

harpy
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Or maybe try walnuts - I know they look completely different but I think the consistency is fairly similar.

I guess a combination of nuts might be best so you may have to experiment a bit. Brazil nuts are the only ones you have a problem with are they?

dreamqueen
Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
Or maybe try walnuts - I know they look completely different but I think the consistency is fairly similar.

I guess a combination of nuts might be best so you may have to experiment a bit. Brazil nuts are the only ones you have a problem with are they?

Yes, thankfully, only brazil nuts cause me problems. I'll try both the walnuts and the macadamias. Thanks!

cedarblue
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
my daughter suffers from this also and she has to avoid brazil, walnuts, almonds - in fact she doesn't eat any nuts any more, the risk totally freaks her out.

i agree that macadamia nuts are probably closest in texture and taste.

i'm going to order that ani book from amazon later today as a present for myself from someone else for christmas. have you watched ani's video's on youtube dreamqueen?

dreamqueen
Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
have you watched ani's video's on youtube dreamqueen?

No, I didn't even know one existed! Maybe you can post it here?

cedarblue
Dec 5th, 2007, 09:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/aniphyo

here's a link for you dreamq. :)