PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get more fit

Jody
Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:32 AM
..and toned! In the past I've joined several gym's and just always stopped going after a month or 2. I've finally realized it's not going to happen so I'm thinking of alternative ways to get fit and strong.

I recently started doing free weights for my arms and also bought a power tower to work on my stomach muscles, arms, back, legs etc. (probably one of the cheapest pieces of gym equipment you can get)

I'm still really unfit, but I want to start running, so I'm gonna get into it by first power walking and jogging a little. Any tips?
I think baby steps is a good way to exercise in general so if anyone has any other advice for me or anybody else who wants the same thing, please contribute!

:)

Marrers
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
There is lots of advice and inspiration on some threads here. I don't run but was almost inspired to start by some people on here! :D

The Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together! thread is here and contains stuff about running. http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8027&page=85

Look out for posts by amf as they are really helpful about starting off very slowly - really important to begin in a way that doesn't make you feel disheartened and wanting to give up!

I'm glad I'm inspiring people because it keeps me motivated :)
To anyone who is thinking of taking up running and thinks even my paltry 20-25 miles a week schedule is impossible, last June I could barely run around the block which isn't even half a mile. I took it slowly, built up my mileage by no more than 1-2 miles a week, and only ran every other day until recently to allow my body to recover and now there's no stopping me.
So if you want to, just begin small and work up slowly. If you need any advice PM me :)

Now...today I ran 4 miles of fartleks in 40 mins. Not brilliant, but I'm getting heavy legs in the first 20mins of my runs lately which is hindering my speed. I also did some sit-ups and weights.

(You may find your thread gets merged with another relevant thread by the moderators.)

Kevin2
Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Only do exercise programs that you enjoy. At least these are the only ones I can continue on with for any significant measure of time.

If you're walking, have you decided if you're going to use a mp3 player or not? I find that music or shows can help to pass the time away quite nicely while I'm walking. Then again, other days I enjoy listening to the sounds of the birds and so on... and on particularly nice days I'll bring along a camera to try to get some images of the local animal kingdom.

I definitely agree with taking things slowly. I look on these things more as being lifestyle changes rather than exercise... and I'm sure not going to, figuratively, kill myself every day.

So yeah... do what interests you. It's the only way. ;-D

AnneCE
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Kevin2 is right - if you don't enjoy it, it won't work for you. I saw a personal trainer who told me to quit the exercise bike and the cross-trainer for the time being as they bored me senseless. Since then, I have enjoyed going to the gym a lot more!

And it's about making it part of my life, and I've built to current activity slowly.

What helps me is:

A mix of activities - gym, an exercise class, swimming.
Committing to an activity for a block of 6 or 8 weeks - to avoid feeling like I have to go for ever and ever and ever...
Trying new things - never thought I'd enjoy a class but I gave it a go and I loved it! Will be doing something mindful like qigong in January.
Go back to things I haven't liked in the past to see if anything has changed - not done this yet, but I think as I get fitter, the cross-trainer might be less boring. I might even try running!:eek:
Reading about different activities - online or at the library - it helps educate me about my body, fitness, nutrition.
Walking briskly, using the stairs more, etc. etc. The small things but they can help a lot.
Rest days - I have Wednesdays and Sundays when I don't do anything officially exercise but just walk more and do my stretches.I'm going to invest in a few things to have at home to encourage me to exercise when I can't get to the gym - I sometimes feel too depressed or irritable to be at the gym/around other people who don't wipe down equipment etc. Exercise ball, exercise bands etc.

Good luck!