PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Syrian Pumpkin Patties.

Roxy
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
I want to make this (http://www.recipezaar.com/42567) recipe later this week. Can you guys please have a look at it, and tell me if I really need a food processor? I don't have one. I do have a blender, though I don't think that will work. Perhaps I could just hand mix the stuff together?

Any input would be great - thanks :)

applepie
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:38 AM
In my opinion, you should be fine with just mixing everything thoroughly. The only difference I can see is that the texture will be slightly different, as the bulgur doesn't get ground, but then that could be quite nice - adds a bit of crunch. Possibly you might need a bit more flour to bind the mixture together this way, but I can't see why it wouldn't work without a food processor.
Let us know how they taste, sounds like an interesting recipe.

Roxy
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks Applepie! I hope they work out, and if they look nice I'll take a photo and post a pic :)

Roxy
Dec 6th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Well, not that anyone probably cares....but with some small adjustments to the recipe, the patties turned out really well.

Without the food processor, I just blended everything together, but had to add extra flour. Even when I'd made the patties, the were really sticky, so I coated them in even more extra flour. Then I put them in the fridge for about an hour (to help them stay together) before frying.

Anyway, here's how they turned out:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/2089884161_b3402fe56c.jpg

And with a nice organic side salad:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2089884495_c2fc8cc20a.jpg

applepie
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Yummy, they look nice! Thanks for sharing this with us Roxy, and for the alterations to the recipe. I will definitely give them a go, had a butternut squash in my vegetable box yesterday which is way too big for just one meal, so I'll be having a feast over the weekend! ;)

cedarblue
Dec 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM
hmmm, how come i missed this thread?

they look yummy, i will give this a go next week think, with butternut squash too.

RubyDuby
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
are they like vege burgers?
or sweet?

i could really use a good vege burger recipe. they looked like they held together really well.

Roxy
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Applepie! I used a tin of pumpkin - but the recipe tells you the alterations to make if using fresh pumpkin/squash. Let me know how they turn out, if you give them a go :)

Thanks Cedar - they're really yummy! I tried them with some soy sour cream on the side as well.

Hi Ruby - I guess you could say they're "slightly" sweet, but they're definately more of a savoury item. I didn't make them big enough for burger patties - but you could definately do them that way too.

applepie
Dec 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ok, so I made them for dinner tonight and they were really good! Looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow, should be nice cold as well.
I did process the whole lot, and I then didn't need to add any additional flour, but I also left them in the fridge for an hour before frying them.
I think they could be jazzed up a bit by playing with the seasoning, but on the whole they are really good.

Roxy
Dec 9th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Glad you gave them a go applepie! They're really nice cold :) I wonder what they'd be like with either some ginger, or some cinnamon in them?

applepie
Dec 9th, 2007, 06:39 AM
That's exactly what I thought, both spices go really well with pumpkin. Will give it a go next time, I think I'll make them again.