PDA

View Full Version : Second-hand soya milk maker anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

Gorilla
Nov 12th, 2004, 10:43 AM
i bought a soya milk making machine at the last London vegan festival, and the company i bought it from (Soya Fresh) are offering an upgrade to a new model which i like the look of. i don't know what to do with my old machine though, as i've only had it a couple of months and it's in perfect working order. Soya Fresh aren't doing any part-exchanges for the old models.

so i was wondering if there was anybody here who would like it, perhaps if we meet at an upcoming fayre, or i could post it but i'd prefer to only post it in the UK as it's quite heavy. for this reason also i would warn anyone who might like me to bring it to the next fayre, we carried it back from London when we bought it and it was pretty bulky and a bit awkward.

unfortunately the old model isn't on the Soya Fresh website anymore so i have no description/photos at the moment. you can see the new model at www.soyafresh.co.uk the main differences on the old model are that you have to soak the soya beans before making the milk, it doesn't have a raw milk pre-setting, it doesn't have a digital display, and the jug is not see-through.

it'll come in the original box and with its instructions, it works perfectly well and i'm only getting rid of it because i'd like the new model and don't want the old one to sit unused in the cupboard.

it cost me £50 new i think, we can negotiate price but i don't want much for it (plus postage if necessary). if anybody is interested please send me a PM

tails4wagging
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM
yes, please. Gorilla!! I will pm you. :)

MzNatural
Nov 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM
They are so convenient! :) I bought the SoyaJoy (http://www.soyajoy.com/). I have not made soymilk but have made various nut and rice milks.

Gorilla
Nov 26th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Tails, if you read this, i have been trying to send you PMs but your inbox is full. please empty it so i can contact you!!! :)

MzNatural, the SoyaJoy milk maker looks really cool. glad you enjoy using it. :)

tails4wagging
Nov 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Ok, PFC!! :)

cedarblue
Dec 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM
like that gorilla, i have an old style milk maker from soyafresh which i would like to sell as im getting a new hemp/nut milk maker for christmas :)

would anyone like to buy mine? i also paid £50 for mine and would like to hear from anyone interested in buying: like gorilla mine is in perfect working order in box and with instructions.

pm me anyone...

cedarblue
Dec 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM
anyone?

cedarblue
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
bump

Mr Flibble
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:36 PM
do you have a link to the model number and how much would it be in the UK with p&p?

cedarblue
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM
its not on a site any more as its been superceeded by newer models but it is an eakar hl-2011, and as i said i got it from soyafresh. works perfectly well, just be obsolete in our house soon.

i will package it up for postage and get it weighed up for uk posting. i guess i was looking at about £20 + p&p...

twinkle
Dec 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
What sort of area do you live in? Maybe interested persons could pick it up to save the faff and expense of posting out, particularly anyone who is travelling across the country to be with their rellys for Christmas. I'm travelling from Leicester to Hemel Hempstead via Luton and St Albans, for example, and if you're anywhere near any of those places I'd be interested.

cedarblue
Dec 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM
bump

Mr Flibble
Dec 26th, 2005, 09:00 PM
heya, did you find out what the price of P&P is? I'm also interested if you're willing to do pickup, I travel around a fair bit. If you don't want to give out your location online thou that's cool

cedarblue
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
bump :)

Tofu Monster
Dec 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM
can you please stop bumping, you're making my computer wobble!

i've also got a soya milk maker i tried out a few times but didn't get on very well with. i am the kiss of death to all culinary matters. to be precise i was trying to make tofu. kept turning out rubbish so i gave up. might try to sell the tofu box thingy and soya milk maker machine thingy together.

ConsciousCuisine
Dec 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I wish I could buy them! I think shipping would be much too expensive though, wouldn't it? I am in the USA.

sophia
Dec 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM
hey tofu monster!

I'm interested in soya maker and tofu set. How much were you thinking of?

Tofu Monster
Dec 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
it's a bulky and heavy bit of kit so i guess it would cost a fair bit to post it to anywhere.

when i get a bit more organised (which might be never) i'll try to find out how much it would cost to post.

DianeVegan
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Tofu, I make my own soy milk and tofu. Perhaps you can tell me what you did and we could figure out how you could make your tofu better? It really is very economical and easy once you get the hang of it. Plus, you can make nut milks, oat and rice milks and combinations.

Gorilla
Dec 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM
just thought this might help give an idea of the postage cost if you still want to sell your soya milk maker - i had to return a faulty one to the company i bought it from and it cost me £7.70 postage (this was within the UK).

Tofu Monster
Dec 31st, 2005, 03:31 PM
Perhaps you can tell me what you did and we could figure out how you could make your tofu better?

i don't think the problem was in making the soya milk itself as that turned out ok, so i think it was either in the curdling process (i use nigari) or the pressing (i've got a proper tofu press). either way, i didn't seem to end up with very much tofu for my 2 litres of soya milk, and it was too fragile to do anything with: when i tried to fry it, it would just break down and go all powdery and nasty. :(

will you come round my flat and do it for me? :D

DianeVegan
Dec 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Oh Tofu, if I lived anywhere near you then you wouldn't be asking this as I would have you shacking up with one of my girlfriends long before now!:D

I too end up with fragile tofu made with the soy maker (unlike when I make it using a blender and a big pot). And the amount is rather small (it will take 4 batches for lasagna this week). I use nigari with the soymilk maker (just because it came with about 20 packs) but have used epsom salts in the past and it formed nicely textured tofu. I'll try that with the soymaker this week and see how it turns out - maybe it's just the coagulant! Stay tuned.........

cedarblue
Mar 1st, 2006, 09:30 AM
*bump*

Maisiepaisie
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM
What does homemade soya milk taste like? I've been thinking of buying a soya milk maker for a while but does the milk taste like the cheap unsweetened brands. I prefer sweetened soya milk and Alpro is my fave. I guess its to much to hope for that homemade tastes as good as Alpro?

Gorilla
Mar 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM
TBH Maisiepaisie if you want to make your own soya milk, don't expect it to be similar to brands like Alpro. it takes a fair bit of getting used to if you've been drinking the carton stuff for a while. home-made can be very bitter and even after adding apple juice (as many cartons use to sweeten) it isn't the same. mine usually comes out thinner than Alpro, it doesn't have such a creamy consistency.

also (i guess you realise this) you have to make sure, if you've been relying on soya milk for calcium and vitamins, that you replace it with another source. i used to add a liquid calcium supplement but i can't find it anymore which is a pain.

i'm not trying to put you off, just sharing my experience.