PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your own vegan chocolate chips?

Oliver Oil
Dec 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Strangely, none of my vegan cookbooks contain any info on how to make your own.

Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Enchantress
Dec 9th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Chop up a bar of vegan chocolate?

bryzee86
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM
yeah that's what I do.or you can buy plamil, tropical source (from whole food market), supercook (from any supermarket) ones which are vegan

but it's cheaper and better to just give a choccy bar a bashing.

Oliver Oil
Dec 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM
A sensible suggestion, folks. :D Chop up a vegan choccie bar is what I will do. I'll all for making life simpler. Thank you.

Deadheadsam
Dec 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Aren't most semi-sweet choco chips dairy free anyway?

Cherry
Dec 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yep - chopping up a bar of chocolate is BETTER than chocolate chips as you can make the bits the size you want them.

Some dark chocolate chips are vegan, but it's definitely easier to find vegan (and fair trade) bars.

tipsy
Dec 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Aren't most semi-sweet choco chips dairy free anyway?

not if you concider the sugar.

i LOVE tropical source.

infact i think you all have inspired me to bake today.

thank you.

or i should say my coworker test subjects will thank you... (i feel a muahahaha is needed now... muahahaha!)

:D

Zelah
Feb 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
This is the fun way:
Food Bag, vegan chocolate bar, tea towel and rolling pin
Place chocolate in bag, cover with tea towel than whack it with the rolling pin.

But if you're a perfectionist there's always this way:

melt chocolate, make a piping bag from a piece of greaseproof paper and pipe blobs on to a flat piece of greaseproof paper. Place in fridge to cool and there you go chocolate chips. You can vary the size to your own preference making both buttons or chips. Just be careful with chocolate as its easy to wreck the temper of chocolate by over working it or over heating it. Cocoa butter gives a better refined taste but is easily upset.

Rakey
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Dairy free do some wiked chocolate chips, if you want white ones, bash a bar of geo organics white chocolate. mmmm!