PDA

View Full Version : watch out for PETA

Pages : 1 [2] 3

veganlovelyme
Dec 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I am new here. I did a lot of PETA protests in London and supported them for several years. But i realized they do put down healthy animals. It is a sad reality. I got an email regarding this and the truth is that some of the animals they put down could have been rehomed or given away to a different shelter. I am an animal rights activist and learn more and more all the time about the good and the bad animal organiations do. Half a year ago, i was still supporting 11 out of my wages (for many years)and was so very happy for doing so. But then as one learns that the same organizations you so very much cherished are in fact letting animals down, one no longer wishes to be part of it. I now focus on small animal organizations run by vegans, full of compassion and respect for our fellow earthlings....
I do not wish to point fingers as i believe to do something is far more than cross arms and sit on the fence.

I see some familiar face here from myspace. My URL in case you wish to look: www.myspace.com/vegancompassionateme (http://www.myspace.com/vegancompassionateme)

Anita

Ymber
Jan 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yes, well my point was originally to just say that you need to watch out before you go all-out for an organization. "Bullshit" was simply what brought my attention to the PETA issue in the first place. I had taken an environmental philosophy class and my teacher was all for PETA.. guess she didn't know all this stuff.

And actually 98% of drugs found to cure illnesses were found using animal testing. It's just that honestly you can't just test something on a human. I love animals and hate what we've done to the world, but c'mon, are you really going to test drugs on people or mice? People or cats? People or monkeys? This is where it gets difficult. So you could say that all these cures were not BECAUSE of animal testing, but would you rather them be because of the help of human testing? It's a rough issue, and believe me, I'm not attacking anyone or their posts because all of your opinions are respectable. But this is just mine. Without animal testing, we'd have to use humans. That's not legal of course, so unfortunately using animals is terrible but must be done. I guess you could argue that we shouldn't even being creating these drugs and defying nature and just understand that people get sick and that's nature's way of keeping our population under control. At almost 7 billion, we're really pushing it. But when are someone or know someone who has cancer, for example, it makes the issue much more difficult. We're overpopulated, killing the earth, and testing on animals.. But I can tell you that my mom survived cancer because of these developments so it's hard for me to argue doing away with testing and defying nature in the first place.

I digress. Anyways, I'm just hoping that these organizations can stay true so that we don't lose faith in things that are important to us.

veganlovelyme
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
To test on Non human Animals for human animal's benefit it is immoral and should be illegal. It is not on a cat interest to have drugs tested on them so humans can survive, so we just do it because they cannot say they wish we would not? That they do not wish to suffer and die so a human can live? That is again, the stronger against the weaker. It is slavery and must be abolished.

Andy
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
Results are often totally meaningless anyway, not only because of how differently animals process different chemicals but also because of the unimaginable stress that the animal is under.

Roxy
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Aren't there other ways to test drugs than on animals - human, or non-human?

Like Andy says, how accurate can testing a human drug on an animal be? Humans are a different species to rats, rabbits, cats etc.

I agree, animal testing should be made illegal. I can't help but think that the only reason that it's not, is because it's the easier and cheaper option.

AnneCE
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
About testing drugs on animals, I've recently heard about this organisation, through a leaflet in Lush - http://www.drhadwentrust.org.uk/ "The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity funding exclusively non-animal techniques to replace animal experiments, benefiting humans and animals." Sounds good to me.

~*Sarah*~
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
i dont particularly like PETA as i think that they waste alot of their money rather than using it efficiently and productively.. and some of their campaigns make a complete joke out of veganism. yeah, i know theyre trying to be funny and different, but they alienate alot of people in doing so.

personally, im not against humane euthanasia. in an ideal world it would be best if all animals were rehomed or re-sheltered happily to live out their days. but if a GENUINE effort has been made to rehome an animal, and the animals life is being made miserable cause of overstretched resources, i think in some cases it can be kinder to have them euthanised. But i say this as a total LAST resort... it should never be a desision made lightly as obviously it cant be undone.

my main issue is with pain and suffering, rather than keeping animals alive at all costs.

Roxy
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
personally, im not against humane euthanasia. in an ideal world it would be best if all animals were rehomed or re-sheltered happily to live out their days. but if a GENUINE effort has been made to rehome an animal, and the animals life is being made miserable cause of overstretched resources, i think in some cases it can be kinder to have them euthanised. But i say this as a total LAST resort... it should never be a desision made lightly as obviously it cant be undone.

I'm not attacking your opinion, but if you replaced the word "animal" with the word "homeless person" in that paragraph, would you still feel that euthanasia was acceptable as a last resort?

I totally understand that there are crowded animal shelters and animals on the streets, and that it's the fault of the human species that this has happened. But still in my head, I just can't allow myself to think that it's ok to euthanise an animal because no one wants to give it a home :o

~*Sarah*~
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'm not attacking your opinion, but if you replaced the word "animal" with the word "homeless person" in that paragraph, would you still feel that euthanasia was acceptable as a last resort?

I totally understand that there are crowded animal shelters and animals on the streets, and that it's the fault of the human species that this has happened. But still in my head, I just can't allow myself to think that it's ok to euthanise an animal because no one wants to give it a home :o

Very good point.. its a bit different though, as the homeless person can express their opinion that they dont want to die, and there are also various ways for them to help themselves such as the Big Issue (dont know if they have it where you are, its a magazine that they buy off a charity for a small amount and then sell on to earn some money). Alot of terminally ill people suffering from wasting disorders fight for the right for voluntary euthanasia and as it is illegal in this country many suffer long horrible deaths when they have expressly insisted that they would rather die assisted when life became unbearable.

Unfortunately the animal is helpless and completely at our mercy and cannot tell us what it wants. We do not know if an animal wants to stay alive at all costs, or be put out of its misery.

I definately dont think it is ok to euthanise an animal cause no one wants to give it a home, but what are the other options? Either leave it to fend for itself or keep it in a shelter. And its all very well and good if the shelter is a happy place, but many are like miserable prisons where they live in filthy cramped conditions and recieve very little comforting contact, and this is not through cruelty of the owners, but the fact that they struggle with little/no funding and are always looking after more animals than they cope with, as they cant exactly say no when an animal is dumped at the gates.

Roxy
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
All good points Sarah. I guess PETA are doing what they think is the right thing to do.

Personally, I can't financially support an organisation that advocates the killing of animals - and it's the main reason that I stopped supporting Greenpeace in 2007.

However, in saying that, I do like a lot of PETA's campaigns and they are the reason that I am a vegan today.

Healthy
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
And what's up with all the naked this and blow-up dolls that?

I'm certainly no prude and a former nude model myself, but I don't understand what that has to do with animal rights (other than the "I'd rather be naked than wear fur ads") ...

It's just getting so downright goofy that everything you read about PETA these days involves nudity and sex.

~*Sarah*~
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
And what's up with all the naked this and blow-up dolls that?

I'm certainly no prude and a former nude model myself, but I don't understand what that has to do with animal rights (other than the "I'd rather be naked than wear fur ads") ...

It's just getting so downright goofy that everything you read about PETA these days involves nudity and sex.

yeah that gets to me as well

its demeaning the cause and making it seem like a big joke

fair enough the original PETA "id rather go naked..." ads were quite original but theyve just gone to far now with naked this and naked that

how is anyone gonna take us seriously when they associate vegans like that

Mahk
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
We all call it "PETA" but in truth I think we should think of it as "Ingrid Newkirk's PETA". There was a documentary on her on HBO recently called "I am an Animal" and although it seemed rather even handed and honest about how it all goes down, I came away from it thinking she seemed rather full of herself and ran the company almost like a dictator. She seemed non-receptive to other employees' suggestions and wanted everything done her way. One of the interviews was of Alex Pecheco (not sure I got that name right) who seems to have co-founded it with her but parted ways from PETA (legal troubles?). He seemed opposed to the shock value type advertising they do but he said her attitude was even negative exposure was good exposure! Several other interviewees had similar comments and agreed that the silly animal outfits and naked running around stuff marginalized the cause and makes the whole movement look stupid and childish. Thing is PETA is actively marketing to kids, as well, so maybe the funny cow and bunny outfits will appeal to them, I don't know.

veganlovelyme
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have done some demos for Peta in London and i had to be naked for kost of them. It had nothing to do with veganism though. Most of them had to do with fur. You can seee some photos on myspace page. www.myspace.com/vegancompassionateme (http://www.myspace.com/vegancompassionateme).
I believe it has a lot to do with calling people's attention, as we all know, naked women still are eye catching. I no longer do peta demos though, for other reasons, but when i did i felt i would do what it takes to call people's attention to the barbaric fur trade.

Mahk
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have done some demos for Peta in London and i had to be naked for kost of them. It had nothing to do with veganism though. Most of them had to do with fur. You can seee some photos on myspace page. www.myspace.com/vegancompassionateme (http://www.myspace.com/vegancompassionateme).
I believe it has a lot to do with calling people's attention, as we all know, naked women still are eye catching. I no long......
*returns after having viewed naked myspace pics*

Um, I'm sorry, did you say something? I was day dreaming.

*wipes drool off of keyboard*

I guess it's true what they say in advertising. Sex sells.

Your pics are actually quite tastful and artistic. Are you also the photographer? Loch Ness is indeed magical.

~*Sarah*~
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
wow your pictures are amazing, beautifully shot and mahk is right, enough to make any man drool!

yet still in no photo do you look anything other than elegant and graceful

:)

veganlovelyme
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
You made me laugh...... I am sure there was no drooling....

I do love photography and i am the photographer as well as the subject.

Thank you for your comments....

Anita

Healthy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I agree with the others, Anita is very beautiful (love the gothic style)

veganlovelyme
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thank you all for your complements. I put my soul into animal rights, my heart, mywhole self. I find it hard to live in a world where animals are seen as inferior and i do struggle to keep a smile on my face. But each day is a gift, and i will make it worthwhile. Much love to you all compassionate, righteous people out there...
Anita

ClawsyWP
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
If I needed a drug to stay alive I would still be against animal testing. I think it its stupid idea to say because someone has to have life saving medication that they shouldn't be anti vivisection or pro animal rights.

I have volunteered for Peta, and they do really good work, the people i have met are all vegan and love animals, and are very dedicated to animal rights.

I also think the person without sin should cast the first stone here, lets see what you personally do to help animal rights before knocking other peoples activism.

Petas advert campaigns get a lot of flack because they use women, however to get the media to cover animal rights is extremely hard, if using women in bikinis manages to get a fur demonstration into a newspaper then i think it is worth it. The media does not care about animal rights, they want celebreties and models etc and so i beleive it is good for Peta to use these people to help animals.

veganlovelyme
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:21 PM
So i did for The animals not for PETA itself. And i had the chance to meet the staff here at Peta Europe and they were all vegans. But because i am against the kill policy i could no longer support them. I support other animal organizations and i am very active to promote animal rights and veganism. animals deserve my respect and total devotion.

veganlovelyme
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Here i am in one of the demos, against Bear fur being used for the guards caps in London
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/veganlovelyme/BearDemoTateModern2.jpg

veganlovelyme
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I am the one with a tattoo on my ankle. It was very cold and raining. The longest 20 minutes of my life. During that time i could only think how animals suffer and that was i was going through was bliss compared with what they bear.

~*Sarah*~
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM
If I needed a drug to stay alive I would still be against animal testing. I think it its stupid idea to say because someone has to have life saving medication that they shouldn't be anti vivisection or pro animal rights.

I have volunteered for Peta, and they do really good work, the people i have met are all vegan and love animals, and are very dedicated to animal rights.

I also think the person without sin should cast the first stone here, lets see what you personally do to help animal rights before knocking other peoples activism.

Petas advert campaigns get a lot of flack because they use women, however to get the media to cover animal rights is extremely hard, if using women in bikinis manages to get a fur demonstration into a newspaper then i think it is worth it. The media does not care about animal rights, they want celebreties and models etc and so i beleive it is good for Peta to use these people to help animals.

thats true... i feel a bit bad now for slating them

sugarmouse
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I m with Clawsy and also Mahk. Sex does sell,nudity works, and anything animal rights related has my favour, considering the majority of the world couldnt care less.