PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Macaroons

Mila
Dec 15th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I've been dying for a coconut macaroon lately, but have had no luck in finding a decent vegan recipe. (I found one which for some reason had NO wet ingredients. Go figure.) Does anybody have one so that I may sate my craving? :o

tipsy
Dec 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM
i dont know... but im suddenly drooling.

mmmmm macaroons.... :p

Sluggie
Dec 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Traditional macaroons don't have any wet ingredients apart from whipped egg whites. See this recipe:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=223

I guess you just need to find something to replace the egg whites. Maybe a little whipped soycream? Don't know if it would work, but it might be worth experimenting.

Mila
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Huh... Strange. So the cookie should be very dry then? I've found that if I put the Ener-G Egg Replacer with water in my Kitchen Aid mixer and keep the speed on 10 for ~5 minutes, the mixture gets very tall and frothy. Do you think that will work?

Poison Ivy
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
There's a few different egg white free recipes floating around on the web - never tried them but here they are.....

Preheat Oven to 300º

1 Cup Agave (Alternatively for Non-Vegans you can use Honey)
1 Cup Tahini
½ Cup Soy Milk
1 teaspoon Coconut Extract
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ Cup Rolled Oats
1½ Packages Shredded Coconut

Add together the Agave or Honey, Tahini and Soy Milk. Add the Coconut and Vanilla Extracts, Oats and Coconut. Stir until absorbed. Continue to add coconut until the batter will accept no more. Using an ice cream scoop, portion the macaroons on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake at 300º for ten to twelve minutes until the coconut is golden. Remove to a cooling rack.

----------------------------------------------------------------
From No Cholesterol Passover Recipes
Festive Macaroons
(Makes about 20)

These delicious eggless macaroons should be eaten in moderation

2 cups shredded coconut
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend ingredients together. Form pyramids on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------
From No Cholesterol Passover Recipes
Macaroons II
(Makes about 10)

This is a simple eggless macaroon recipe. Eat in moderation.

1 cup shredded coconut
2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients together. Spoon onto oiled baking pan and shape into pyramids. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Sluggie
Dec 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Huh... Strange. So the cookie should be very dry then? I've found that if I put the Ener-G Egg Replacer with water in my Kitchen Aid mixer and keep the speed on 10 for ~5 minutes, the mixture gets very tall and frothy. Do you think that will work?
Might do. Whipped egg white gets quite stiff- you don't want your mixture too watery I would guess. The banana in Poison Ivy's recipes might work better.

tipsy
Dec 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z219/veganjennaanne/IMG_0226.jpg

i modified one of the above recipies to suit my liking.

1/4 c agave
1 c soymilk
1/2 c flour
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
mix these ingredients well and pour over
2 1/2 c shredded coconut

preaheated 300 degree F oven bake 15-20 min till firm up and turn golden brown (they browned on the bottom first, so keep watch!)

& i made them chocolate dipped... so

1/2 cup vegan choco chips melted in a double boiler

dip tops of already baked & cooled cookies in melted chocolate, let cool!

yum!

makes about 2 doz inch round cookies.

although they werent very sweet, i liked that as im not a fan of the too sweet. just add more agave if you want them sweet!

Poison Ivy
Dec 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Ohhhh, they look really good JJ!:)

Mila
Dec 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Those look amazing! I'd never have thought of the chocolate. Do you think almond milk will work just as well?

Mila
Dec 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM
OK, I just tried to make the choco-dipped kind about half an hour ago and it was a complete disaster. The little coconut balls wouldn't form, so I made loose, fragile balls of it. It took 35 minutes for it to even get near firm and when I tried to remove them from the pan, they fell apart. =( Where am I going wrong?

pavotrouge
Dec 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I haven't tried the recipe above but will probably try them tomorrow or so... what temperature did you bake them at?

(maybe the messed up ones could be a topping for a fruit salad or muesli or something?)

Mila
Dec 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I baked them at 300 F... it may have helped if I greased the pan first. I don't really know. =(

tipsy
Dec 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM
oh, i dont know mila! maybe adding more liquid? they worked perfectly for me. and everyone at work loved them...

now i feel bad... :o

Mila
Dec 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately, there was too much liquid and it just sat there at the bottom of the bowl. When I tried to incorporate it, it just ran onto the pan.

Don't feel bad, either. There must be some step I'm missing. It's just some coconut.