PDA

View Full Version : Soup And The City....

Jeebs
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Hey!
I enjoy making my own soup, I usually opt for a lentil variety.
Hell, I LOVE soup.
However I don't always have time to prepare it. I'm still relatively new to Veganism and was wondering if anyone knew what supermarkets stocked vegan soups?
The Sainsburys in the city centre - everything has milk in it. The larger Tesco on Broad Street has some 'Seeds of Change' I think they're called. Can anyone confirm if their 'spicy lentil' or 'four bean' is vegan???

Or just anywhere in Birmingham city centre that does a good vegan soup??

Thanks for your help!

:D

harpy
Dec 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Do you have a Waitrose? They usually have two or three that seem to be vegan and in some cases may actually be marked vegan. Some are their own brand and some another (organic) brand.

Sorry to be so vague but I will try and remember to check the varieties next time I'm in there. Their own-brand tomato and lentil is one that seems to be stuck in my mind. ETA I'm talking about the fresh/chilled ones - is that what you're after?

The Seeds of Change website has ingredients lists http://www.seedsofchange.co.uk/our_foods/category.aspx?id=soups though it doesn't actually seem to use the v-word.

~*Sarah*~
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
im pretty sure heinz vegetable soup is vegan....

not the healthiest but good as a stand-by as it can be bought at practically any corner shop :)

PaintedXSkyline
Jan 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
.... the titles of this thread amuses me.

i cant help though.. i dont eat soup. sorry. :(

Risker
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:04 AM
im pretty sure heinz vegetable soup is vegan....

Yeah, I had some of that recently, I seem to remember it not being vegan though so maybe they've changed the recipe recently? anyway, it is now.

Baxters label their soups as suitable for vegans.

fondducoeur
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Amy's has a bunch of vegan soups. They are not all vegan, but the ones that are have vegan clearly by the ingredients. I like the thai coconut, the lentil soup, the tuscan bean and rice, and the fire roasted southern vegetable. I dump them over a peeled baked potato sometimes for thickness.
Amy's chili is good too; I like the spicy kind.

Aradia
Jan 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
How about freezing portions of your own soup? Then take them out of the freezer the night before you want them. Or is that too organised for you? It often is for me!

I love soup too. I had a lovely lentil soup that my husband made for me when I wasn't well and it really hit the spot. A lentily gingery affair. I'll post the recipe when I find it.

vava
Jan 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
could also buy tins of beans and just shove veggies and a tin of soup in a pan and boil till the veggies are done - I add marigold bouillon and or miso. for really quick soup why not invest in a pressure cooker - really quick and tasty! Quinoa flakes are really handy to pump up the protein as well as cook quickly and thicken the soup.

twinkle
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
A lot of the Sainsbury's SO (organic) canned soups are vegan - I've got at least 3 varieties in my cupboard. The bean one is nice, I haven't tried the others yet, but one is something like winter veg and barley, and another is leek and potato...