PDA

View Full Version : West Cornwall Pasty Company

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Mr Flibble
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I noticed that. They did used to sell a vegan looking one 5 or 6 years ago

harpy
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
This thead gave me the idea of emailing Waitrose to see if they'd take the Egg Glaze off their Hand Crimped Vegetable Pastie. They've responded with a '...we'll bring it up in the next meeting' response.

Great idea, v6gan, I've just e-mailed them too.

Yes, I'm sure they did do a vegan one before; not sure if it was an own-brand one though.

v6gan
Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Excellent! Lets hope they change it. All this pasty talk means I am going to have to do a mass pasty bake this weekend :smile:

vegcurry
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:59 AM
They're from Cornwall, the maņana principle is alive and well in the tip of the South-West both for good and ill.

Down 'ere it's called Dreckly ... and you're right it has it's good and bad points to it. :D

cornishdreadhead
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Down 'ere it's called Dreckly ... and you're right it has it's good and bad points to it. :D

Ha....cornish men do it dreckly....cornish women want it now!! according to a sticker i saw today :rollseyes_ani::dizzy:

horselesspaul
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I like the fact that is used almost as the opposite of directly (of which it is a derivative), in the sense of having another space time continuum in Cornwall.

vegcurry
Jan 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I like the fact that is used almost as the opposite of directly (of which it is a derivative), in the sense of having another space time continuum in Cornwall.

@ HP
:D
I recall a TV documentary many years back about ancient sites called The Modern Antiquarian featuring Julian Cope - and based on his own book of the same name - in which he theorised that as the Romans didn't get down this way with 'their straight line thinking' time kinda flows differently here ... or summat like that.

I have to admit that since I moved here over 10 years ago I'm getting to understand, and even love it. :o

Cumin
Feb 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
Getting slightly off-topic here guys.....

leedsveg
Feb 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Went into the Leeds WCPC today and STILL no vegan pasties. Some years ago, Leeds centre had two shops, Beanos and Taffs, where you could get a vegan light meal/takeaway during the day but both closed. Leeds might be 'capital of the north' and have some fancy shops but for a vegan wanting a snack eg a pasty, it's rubbish. Give me Manhattan any time.

harpy
Feb 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I tried asking about the WCPC glaze the other week. The person behind the counter gave me a completely blank stare so either they hadn't got the vegan one yet or the staff training isn't what it might be :D

Stu
Feb 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Leeds might be 'capital of the north'...

*cough*
What exactly qualifies Leeds as 'the capital of the North', given that it's not too far from a certain city beginning with 'M' which is the musical and sporting capital of the entire world and has a population of at least three times that of Leeds, and is accepted as being the second city of the whole UK, and to which the BBC and possibly parliament are relocating?

Just asking.

leedsveg
Feb 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hi Stu

I deliberately put capital of the north with inverted commas round it because it's not necessarily my opinion, just that of a lot of people I happen to live amongst. Me, I'm from Sheffield. Many years ago,while living on a kibbutz, I was chatting to my mate Paddy (a Mancunian) and we eventually agreed that the 'real heart of the north of England' was Barnsley. I've now no strong opinion either way (but I am happy to have been born in Yorkshire and to have lived most of my life here).

Cherry
Feb 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM
The capital of the North should surely be in Cumbria? Though I suppose as it's also the
centre of The Universe that might be greedy. The pasties haven't made it that far North yet, though with all the confusion about whether things are vegan or not, I'm not sure I'd want one anyway.

leedsveg
Feb 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
*cough*
What exactly qualifies Leeds as 'the capital of the North', given that it's not too far from a certain city beginning with 'M' which is the musical and sporting capital of the entire world and has a population of at least three times that of Leeds, and is accepted as being the second city of the whole UK, and to which the BBC and possibly parliament are relocating?

Just asking.

Manchester 'has a population of at least three times that of Leeds'? Not according to this link:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/population/cities.htm

Stu
Feb 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Do you actually, really, genuinely, take that seriously? Do you actually believe that Leeds has a population of more than double that of Manchester? No probs if you do, but surely you realise that I could very very very easily demostrate (using web links as you did) that Manchester is several times the size of Leeds? Not to mention it's massive cultural impact on planet Earth (of which Leeds has none).

To be clear: I don't actually care about this (I live in London), but let's not be silly.

bryzee86
Feb 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Manchester 'has a population of at least three times that of Leeds'? Not according to this link:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/population/cities.htm

consider that most people define "Manchester" as meaning Greater Manchester (not the city centre which, until recently, had little population to speak of), and you would realise that Manchester has over 2 million people.

Gorilla
Feb 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
...possibly parliament are relocating

that's never going to happen :satisfied: MPs are trying to stop the BBC moving as well. i think you'll also find Birmingham is widely regarded to be the second city in England after London. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham

nowt to do with pasties though...

Zero
Feb 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
It just depends whether you are talking about Greater Manchester, because the total population for the entire Metropolitan area in 2007 was estimated at: 2,562,200 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester) Whereas the Manchester City Metropolitan area is indeed smaller in population density than that of the Leeds Metropolitan area.

Anyway, back to the thread topic when are they going to make these pasties vegan? :confused: :p

Cumin
Feb 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'm with Gorilla..

Come on guys, take the north Vs north(and left a bit) debate somewhere else. Please.

vegcurry
Feb 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
^ yeah, at least my previous OT resulted in a smaller amount of follow up postings, and actually had something to do with Cornwall :D

leedsveg
Feb 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Anyway, back to WCPC--If their pasties are any good, why don't they sell 'em in Cornwall? Also the staff in the Leeds WCPC do not seem to have English as a first language and I assumed that they were Eastern Europeans. Any chance they could be conversing in Cornish? The website is a bit of a laugh though but quite useless for us, if they don't do vegan pasties.

Zelah
Feb 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Now I'm seriously craving a pasty - mmmmmm Pasties!

cxmnz
Feb 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I'm with Gorilla..

Come on guys, take the north Vs north(and left a bit) debate somewhere else. Please.

After all, east midlands is blatently better than all of it ;)

</joke>

Zero
Mar 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Anyway, back to WCPC--If their pasties are any good, why don't they sell 'em in Cornwall?

There is probably a lot more competition to contend with in the place where the pasty originated, and probably less of a market for a factory mass produced product than there is for made fresh on the premises pasties which I suppose there is a lot of in Cornwall.

leedsveg
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM
When I tried a couple of WCPC pasties around a year ago, they were nothing special but at least they were vegan---except I subsequently found out they weren't. I think a major reason for people buying them is because they are actually made in Cornwall. About as logical as buying 'genuinely made in Yorkshire' Yorkshire puddings.