PDA

View Full Version : West Cornwall Pasty Company

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Spud Addict
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Just thought anyone who likes pasties might like to know that the West Cornwall Pasty Company are changing their recipes.

I got the following email from them -

Until very recently all of our pasties were finished with an egg-free glaze which contains a small amount of milk proteins. We estimate that the amount of milk proteins present after baking is less than 1 gram. Very recently we have switched to a glaze free from both milk and egg by the end of this year – we have already started this process but it is possible that the West Cornwall Pasty Co may have the some of the original glaze in their freezers for a few months still.

The pastry in all varieties contains the following ingredients:
Wheat Flour, Vegetable Fats (vegetable oil, water, salt, lemon juice), Water, Salt, Glaze (water, cornflour, salt, sugar, natural colour: carotene)

The Wholemeal Vegetable Pasty contains the following ingredients:
Vegetables 53% (Potato (preservative: sodium metabisulphite), Swede, Onion, Carrots), Basil, Parsley, Cornflour, Salt, Pepper

If the above ingredients are not likely to cause you problems, I am pleased to confirm that the recipes for the following varieties do not contain any other ingredients or additives derived from eggs or cow’s milk in the recipe:

Wholemeal Vegetable Pasty
Apple & raspberry Pasty

Please be aware that the products are made and baked in an area where dairy ingredients/products are present, so we can not guarantee that accidental crossover does not occur in the factory or in the shop. Please feel free to contact me if you require further clarification.

Regards

So I reckon by the start of next year anyone stuck for something out will be able to buy a nice wholemeal veggie pasty from this place. :)

harpy
Sep 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Thank you - worth knowing for emergencies as they seem to be all over the place!

Gorilla
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:07 PM
yes, thanks for the info. :)

Cumin
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
That's fantastic news. I LOVE pasties !

twinkle
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Mm, apple and raspberry sounds good

scarlett
Sep 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
gaaaah, now I can't just walk past them :rolleyes: :D I love pasties, my waistline does not !

Mr Flibble
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Their map shows Clapham Junction as being in Cambridgeshire

There's one at the station I pass through when working in London, however I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy from them. Whilst the ingredients may be vegan, I'm not convinced about the cross contamination friendliness, especially if they are all cooked on the same slab.

Cumin
Dec 20th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I heard from someone on here a while back (can't find the thread now) that this company were going to change their glaze and make their otherwise vegan pasties properly vegan.
Yesterday I visited their shop in Hereford and spoke to the area manager who confirmed that this has now been done, and the glaze had all traces of egg, milk etc removed from the recipe. They have also removed any artificial additives to make them 'natural' (their words).
So they now have 2 pasties - the vegetable and wholemeal vegetable which are of totally vegan ingredients. I have tried both and they are great - proper cornish pasties with lots of onions, potato, black pepper, carrots etc.:D
This is good news, but the only thing perhaps to watch for is where they cook them. In the Hereford shop, I saw them cook all sorts of pasties in their large oven, and I believe that the vegetable ones were on a tray all of their own - but this may not always be the case. Perhaps ask if you visit one. Also check that the shop is using the new stock with the yellow "New Glaze" sticker on the box.

Cumin
Dec 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
quick update - just spoke to the shop. They always cook all the vegetarian pasties on separate trays to the meat ones.

Spud Addict
Dec 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Cumin. (it was me before) :)
Also got confirmation that potato wedges from the pasty shop are ok, so have pasty from West Cornwall with wedges from Pasty Shop. :D

vegcurry
Dec 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
And if you're in Falmouth check out the Cornish Miner pasty shop, near to Customs House Quay as they do a few that are suitable for vegans.

aubergine
Dec 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
This thread is why I love cornwall. That and the people, the landscape... :)

Cumin
Dec 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
All lovely .. unless you want a job that pays more than the min wage.

Corum
Dec 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I had one of their pasties recently! It was rather nice! :D I'm not sure about the blokes selling the pasties... I somehow don't think they had any cornish in'em! :D

flying plum
Dec 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
sweet! that's handy to know :) and i have a min. wage job in london...i reckon i could live a lot better off the same money in cornwall :D

amanda

sponge
Dec 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Oh my gosh, I've been thinking of pasties lately! Where I live, no one even knows what a pasty is. I should have known you all would. ;)

I make an easier vegan version I call a pasty pie as I'm too lazy to deal with more than 2 circles of dough. Now, I feel a craving coming on.

Spud Addict
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Best one of gets a ready made one in the post to you then, sponge! :)

alisont
Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Wishes there was a branch near me or Birmingham or Worcester:rolleyes: would like to try a vegan cornish pastie!

Stu
Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
This is super news. If I'm not mistaken, there's a West Cornwall Pasty Company shop in King's Cross station in London. Handy for me!

Troutina
Dec 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Went in at the weekend and was told the glaze had milk protein in it :confused::(

Cumin
Dec 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Troutina,
They must still be using old supplies of pasties then, as the new box has a big yellow label saying "No milk or egg" in the new glaze.

Troutina
Dec 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Troutina,
They must still be using old supplies of pasties then, as the new box has a big yellow label saying "No milk or egg" in the new glaze.

Cool, thanks for the tip :)
Glad we asked, I would have just ordered one, but thought it better to check first!
My boyfriend is MEGA excited about having a pastie!
Though you can get far better ones in Brighton, they are top banana.

rainbowcarousel
Dec 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for this post, I just had a scrummy wholemeal vegetable pasty for lunch. I noticed the label said "suitable for vegetarians" on the wholemeal and regular vegetable pasty but not on the cheese-based veg pasties, which was refreshing!

Ginger
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Fantastic! There is a branch near me in Horsham. I often go in there with a (veggie) friend of mine and I get so jealous when she gets a pasty to take home. I feel a shopping trip comming on :D

Melanie
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
oOo I think there's one of these near me. :D