PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout some Pecan Pie?!

Artichoke47
Nov 13th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Yep, you heard that right. Pecans! :)

From Lorna Sass's Complete Vegetarian Kitchen

Oatmeal Pie Pastry
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon or allspice
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 c. canola oil
2 T. maple syrup
2-3 T. apple juice or water

Mix oatmeal, flour, spice, and salt together in a bowl.

In a measuring cup, whisk together the oil, syrup, and juice or water. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir.

With moist hands, press the dough into an oiled 9-inch pie plate or 10-inch tart tin, put in beans or pie weight, and bake for 15 min. in a preheated 375-degree F oven.

Pecan Pie
1 1/2 c. brown rice syrup
1 1/2 c. water
1/4 c. agar flakes
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 T. arrowroot or kuzu
water to cover arrowroot or kuzu
2 c. toasted pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

In a heave saucepan, prepare the filling. Whisk together the rice syrup, water, agar flakes, cinnamon, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat until the agar dissolves completely, stirring occasionally, about 5 min.

In a small bowl (or coffee cup :)), dissolve the arrowroot in water to barely cover and add to the agar-rice syrup mixture. While cooking the mixture at a low simmer, whisk it until the chalky color becomes clear.

Let the mixture cool for 15 min. Stir in the pecans and vanilla and pour into the prepared pie crust, distributing the pecans evenly.

Let the pie cool to room temperature and set, about 2 hours (or refrigerate for 1 hour).

Eat and enjoy! Dear God, this stuff is good. I forgot the vanilla extract, too, and it's still very, very tasty!

Artichoke47
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Hmmm...this is so much better than the other pecan pies I have had in the past. I wonder what omnivore/lacto-ovo pecan pies have in them that makes them not as good as vegan ones. Animal products, maybe? I'm going to have to see, because mine is sooo good compared to those other ones.

Artichoke47
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Oh, gross, check this out: http://southernfood.about.com/od/peachpies/r/bln65.htm

Eggs and sour cream. *bad shiver*