PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Rose Recipes

Magenta
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I got this book a while ago and like it even more than I thought I would! ^^ it's inspiring because the recipes don't look so complicated that they frighten me, and it has pretty illustrations and design.
I haven't made that many things from it, mostly relatively simple things from the "Sauces, Salsas and Toppings" section. Here's what I made so far:
Pesto
Lemon Artichoke Pesto
Tapenade
Vegan Parmesan
Indian Green-wa
Simple Cicken-style Seitan

All were very yummy, but I'm really looking forward to making some of the Mexican-style dishes in there too. They look so tasty, and I'm not very familiar with that kind of food so I'd love to try it!

Anyway, has anyone else got this book yet? I'd love to read your reviews of recipes and recommendations of the ones you liked best :)

Yellow Rose Recipes by Joanna Vaught (http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/books.preorder.html)

Poison Ivy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I haven't got it yet, but I have seen lots of pics of the Yellow Rose food over on the PPK forums - and it all looks delish, so it's definitely on my 'to buy' list!:)

lesliesj
Mar 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
This is definitely my new favorite cookbook. The vegan sour cream recipe is delicious, as are the wontons. The book is so pretty and colorful too!

pavotrouge
Mar 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
@Magenta: may I ask you a question then, from one Continental European person to another? What I've seen from that book so far seems very "typical" Amercian to me. What do you think about that?

I don't mean to say American cuisine itself is bad, but it's just not really what I like and I've got plenty of recipes like that in other vegan cookbooks.
Yet, people are raving about the book and it keeps telling me to buy it but I'm not sure...

Magenta
Mar 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I see what you mean, I think. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what exactly is typical American cuisine, though.

There are lots of basic recipes in the book, but they do have Joanna's own twist on them. For example, there's spinach lasagna, tofu scramble, home fries, guacamole, a seitan recipe, etc. So there are some 'standard' things (which are still interesting to try, as they are very good, I love the tofu scramble spice mix), but also lots of more special stuff that are (to me, at least) pretty new. I still haven't gotten around to trying much new things from the book, but the baked goods, mustard crusted seitan, lots of the dips/sauces, penne alfredo are all things that I'd still like to try.

There are a bunch of mexican-ish things that I personally am interested in, because I never cook that kind of dishes, but if you're already familiar with that cuisine I'm guessing it's not that interesting. That's definitely not the only part of the book, though.

I don't think I'm of much help here :o personally, I do like the book, but I can't say whether you would or not. I have to say that I haven't made much from it yet, which is partly because I don't always have all ingredients that are necessary (like silken tofu. I always have trouble finding that). I do like that there are different kinds of dishes in there, so it's definitely not one kind of cuisine, but I guess most things do have a kind of American twist to them...

Ugh, I'm tired and can't think of what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry if I don't make any sense at all!

pavotrouge
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
not at all, thanks for your info. may I ask where exactly in the NL you are? 'coz I live not that far from the border and know some vegans who could help you concerning ingredients.

Magenta
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I think I just need to make more from this book in order to say whether it's really worth buying, but for now I can say that I do enjoy having it very much myself...

Anyway-
I'm in a little village near (under) Rotterdam. I know I can find the silken tofu there, but it's just that I don't go there very often and it's about an hour from here if I travel by public transport. Still, it is possible for me to buy it, just takes a little effort :)