PDA

View Full Version : what do you like to put in hummus?

Aradia
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm making a big batch and want to do a few different flavourings. I'll put roasted red pepper in one lot and roasted garlic in another.

what's your favourite addition?

harpy
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm afraid I haven't been very adventurous adding things to homemade hummus, but I quite like the avocado hummus that you can sometimes buy here. I imagine you just mash it and add it although you might need extra lemon juice to stop it going brown.

Magenta
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
So far, I like my hummus best when it's very simple. So just tahini, garlic, salt, maybe some oil with the chickpeas... but I think bell pepper in there can be very good as well. I'm gonna watch this thread to get ideas too :D

vava
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
you know sometimes you read the title wrong - I thought it said humans:eek:

cedarblue
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
there's always one :rolleyes:

AnneCE
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I've had lime and coriander hummus, chilli hummus, hummus with pesto, hummus with chickpeas, all lovely but the best hummus is the one with the most garlic!

emmy
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I love roast pepper hummus,
Also lemon and coriander. I've never made it but the shop bought stuff is awesome so the homemade stuff has got to be even better!

Sluggie
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Caramelised onions - or -
Harissa - or -
Caraway and poppy seeds with extra lemon juice

sugarmouse
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
All my faves already mentioned!

But I also sometimes put a few chickpeas in olive oil at the bottom of the serving dish I love doing that. Donno why!
Roast tomatos.
Mixed Olives
Sundried tomatos
Rosemary
Black pepper
Differnt beans
Basil
Citrus peel
Roast corn
Or just roast the chcikpeas before making the hummus for adiffernt flavour

jamboxrock
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Oooh, pesto. That's a good idea. I had a spicy cilantro hummus once that I think had jalapenos in it.

tipsy
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:35 AM
i havent been sleeping well latley... so forgive me for thinking its the funniest thing in the world when i just read this thread title as "who do you want to punch in the hummus?"
:p

Enchantress
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:38 AM
When I first saw this thread in new posts it was right next to "Do you trim your pubic hair?". Now there's a pleasant thought...

tipsy
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM
:D:D

Aradia
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
When I first saw this thread in new posts it was right next to "Do you trim your pubic hair?". Now there's a pleasant thought...

Eeewww... nasty picture in my head, nasty picture in my head :eek:

absentmindedfan
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Harissa!

Ruby Rose
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Ohh, you just inspired me to whip up some hummus with the left over sundried tomatoes from Christmas! Yummm. And now I've just seen AMF's post, and I remember I've got harissa hiding away at the back of the fridge. I sense a hummus fiesta coming on!

cedarblue
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM
what i DON'T put in hummus any more is tahini paste, it takes away the chickpea taste and can add a bitterness if overdone

eco
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I had roasted butternut squash houmous (shop bought) yesterday for the first time, it was delicious. I also really like lemon and coriander.

Aradia
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Caramelised onions

Drool!!!! gonna make this tomorrow

Casper
Jan 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Crunchy peanut butter,garlic,lemon jucie w a little zest,chili sauce or red pepper flakes and a few drops of sesame oil or a little tahini.

~*Sarah*~
Jan 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
mmmm i love hummous some gorgeous sounding suggestions on here!!! im afraid i dont have anything original to add.. all my favourites + more have been mentioned!!!

hahaha pube hummous!!! suppose we could serve it up to gordon ramsey... tit for tat and all that...

dreamqueen
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'll often add a generous handful of either spinach or parsley.

My favourite hummus recipe is in Vive Le Vegan! by Dreena Burton - apart from the usual ingredients for a classic hummus, it has toasted sesame oil which takes it to a whole new level of divine.

techkitten
Jan 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I like green olives - this does better with a coarser chopped hummus blend, and I use very little tahini. The green olives gives it flavor, and you get a few green olive chunks that you end up searching for so you can eat them first.

dreamqueen
Jan 14th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I like green olives - this does better with a coarser chopped hummus blend, and I use very little tahini. The green olives gives it flavor, and you get a few green olive chunks that you end up searching for so you can eat them first.

That sounds yummy - I'll have to try it.