PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis

applepie
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
It's the worst timing ever, as I have essays to write and uni work piling up, but I strongly suspect I've got tendonitis de Quervain (I know the symptoms and did the Finkelstein test, which my GP told me about ages ago, as my tendons are my weak point and I've had a couple of operations in the past).
So rest is not an option at the moment, I somehow need to get my work done.
Anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen - but I don't like taking them on a daily basis.
Anything else I can do? It's got pretty bad yesterday, and now it's hurting all the time, not only when I'm doing things, and I can't pick anything up with this hand as it hurts too much.
Is it necessary to see the GP or will it sort itself out?

Sluggie
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Would it be possible to dictate your essays onto a tape and give them to your tutor in that form?

applepie
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I very much doubt it. I need to submit two hard copies plus a disc which is run through uni software to detect plagiarism. No way to do this with a tape.
I'm just wondering what would be the most natural way to alleviate the pain (rather than drugs - maybe arnica? calendula?).

harpy
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Poor you. Personally I would see the doc and get a certificate because that will be helpful if you do need to make special arrangements for your university assessments. I would have thought they ought to let you dictate the essays or submit them some other way, otherwise they would be open to accusations of discriminating against people with disabilities and stuff wouldn't they? Hope you feel better soon.

applepie
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks, Harpy. I don't think they will be able to make any concessions because I have already been given an extension (because of depression). If everything else fails, I'll just have to type with my index finger - will take ages, but never mind. ;)

harpy
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM
When I was at a conventional university it was all a bit "sink or swim" but that was ages ago. In the Open University courses I've done recently they seem to make all sorts of concessions to people who've been ill etc, provided they can produce a dr's certificate.

I wouldn't have thought the fact that you'd already had an extension ought to have any bearing on the question of making allowances now for a completely different illness! Refer them to us if there's any argument about it ;)

bryzee86
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Applepie, I have tendonitis in my wrists (predominately left), and I am going to be making an appointment to see the advice and counselling folks at uni about seeking help. I believe I can get disabled students' allowance for ergonomic equipment, as well as extra time for essays as it is a condition which can seriously impair your ability to study the same as everyone else. Speak to your uni - whether you've had help about something else or not - they can't refuse to help you further.

rantipole
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ani DiFranco, guitarist and singer/songwriter, has tendonitis and says the thing that helped her the most was acupuncture. I would recommend that and massage along with getting ergonomic equipment to prevent further injury.

Good luck!

Cheers,
rant

applepie
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks rant, that's really interesting. I don't suppose the NHS would pay for acupuncture... I'll have to look into it.
Bryzee, sorry to hear about your tendonitis, hope you'll get all the support you need. I have yet to find out whether I'd be able to get any help, but I've been plodding on with the essay anyway so I might as well get it done and then give my poor wrist a break after that.

snivelingchild
Jan 8th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Bromelain helps the inflammation from my tendonitis. Curcumin, licorice root, and papain help with inflammation too. Take it with a calcium/magnesium supplement to help heal and strengthen your tendons. Vitamin C and oil of oregano help with the healing too.

applepie
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks, snivelingchild, that is fantastic advice. Will definitely try it!

sage68
Jan 18th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I have tendonitis in my left wrist (which is great since I am left handed) and the one thing that did help me was wearing a wrist brace. It can hamper typing, etc. but definitely helps keep your wrist in a neutral position. I have been having less pain since doing that. Wearing it at night is definitely helpful, as sometimes you will sleep on it wrong without the brace and then be in worse pain for the next few days.

Roxy
Jan 18th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Ouch! Sounds painful :(