PDA

View Full Version : Quick Soup Mixes

Darky_
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have a bag of Neal Yards Quick soup mix and the mix includes, Green Split Peas, Whole green Lentils, Yellow split peas, red split lentils, whole grain brown Barley and Barley flakes........

I am wondering where to start with them, I mean, how should i cook them for a Soup? (I plan on putting in the soup, potatoes, Onion, Mixed beans, carrots).

It says on the back, add to soups, stews and carsseroles during cooking.....
I read somewhere it's best to soak them overnight(?), but I do want to use them now, so should i just add them to the soup Mix/water straight away and they cook from there? Boil them for a bit first? orrrrrrr, what?................... :o
I'm sure ya don't have to soak everything. I thought that with dried beans, but they will just cook in a couple of hours I think! :confused:

Help! Thanks!

RubyDuby
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't soak beans before cooking.

sautee minced garlic and onion for a minute in some oil in your soup pot, then add vege stock or water and bullion. Dump in the soup mix, bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook coupla hours til done. :)

Darky_
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
THANK YOU RubyDuby!! :)

RubyDuby
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
no problem :)

I love making soup. So simple yet sooo delicious.

Aradia
Jan 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I always soak my beans first - I don't like veg being cooked for hours, which the beans need to cook. So I cook soak and cook them first and then add veg. That way the veg still has some texture to it.

Darky_
Jan 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hmm, I would soak my beans over night if i definatly knew what i wanted to cook tomorrow......

Sometimes, though, I don't wanna cook something if i won't use it, so i get fussy hehehee....

Anyway I made my soup and it was lovely and quite filling. Perfect thickness and evertything cooked even though I did, throw them right in...apart from the [dried] beans, I cooked them over an hour first then finish them in the soup pan... And i didn't hear anything going "Ouch Ouch...*pop* OUCH!...." lol (Joke)...

RubyDuby
Jan 12th, 2008, 01:01 AM
i'm too impatient to soak :)
If I use vege's I add them when the beans are almost through.

glad it turned out!