PDA

View Full Version : Chilli - what's your secret ingredient?

Aradia
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I saw a TV programme recently where a big chilli cook-off competition happened in Northern America (Washington I think).

Anyway, they were asking the participants what their secret ingredients where. Amoung them were bourbon, peanut butter and cumin.

So I tried the cumin. What a transformation! It made a huge difference to my usual pot of chilli. I'll never make chilli again without cumin.

So it got me wondering .... do any of you lot have an unusual secret ingredient which makes your chilli special.

Pickled Jhon
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Beer! One of the vegan society recipes advised you to soak the tvp in beer before you use it! Then put some soya milk in right at the end... some people also use chocolate! :)

herbwormwood
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
carob powder

rantipole
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I put in about half a bottle of beer in a pot of chili. It really makes a difference. Also, most of the time I add nutritional yeast for some cheeseyness.

Cheers,
rant

bryzee86
Jan 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
cinnamon works really well as well

twinkle
Jan 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I always put some cocoa powder in among the spices. I also (and I realise some people will sneer at this) like to add small-chopped celery (maybe a couple of sticks worth) - to me it isn't the real thing without celery.

Glossgirl
Jan 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I also use cocoa powder or dark chocolate mmmm chilli

RubyDuby
Jan 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
well then it wouldn't be a secret ;)

i'm using these ideas for sure!

herbwormwood
Jan 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I also put pickled jalopeno peppers, marigold boillion powder, quinoa, sweetcorn and hemp flour.