PDA

View Full Version : Cancer and animal products

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM
In fact, thinking about it, this woman with Crohns was brought up on her parents' farm - I wonder if that is the link??

Ruby Soho
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Drinking more than one glass of milk a day could double the risk of developing a certain type of ovarian cancer, according to a new study.

Swedish researchers studied over 61,000 women aged 38-76 enrolled in a long term study, whose daily consumption of dairy products during a three year period was assessed.

They found high intakes of lactose in dairy products led to an increased risk of a serious form of ovarian cancer, but not to other subtypes.

Women who drank more than one glass of cow's milk a day, whether full-fat, semi-skimmed or skimmed were twice as likely to have been diagnosed with the disease on follow-up, compared with those who never or seldom drank milk.

But cheese, ice-cream and butter - which have lower levels of lactose - were not linked with the risk of any ovarian cancers, said the researchers from the National Institute of Environmental Medicine in Stockholm

They speculated that lactose may act as a toxin to oocytes, or may induce high concentrations of gonadotropins that stimulate the proliferation of the ovarian surface epithelium, which leads to the development of cancer cells.

taken from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2004) 80: 1353-1357, published in the Nursing Times, 7-13 December 2004

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 7th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I saw this in a newspaper recently and thought it was interesting, especially as a lot of womens magazines have been promoting dairy products lately to 'aid slimming'.

gertvegan
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Alarming ignorance of cancer risk

Wednesday, 12 January, 2005 bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4164131.stm)

There is an alarming ignorance about cancer and how to reduce the risk of the disease, a survey has suggested.
Many of the 4,000 British people questioned were unaware that diet, alcohol and weight were all factors that can influence the risk.

The study was commissioned by Cancer Research UK, which is launching a campaign to promote lifestyle changes which cut the odds of getting cancer.

Research suggests that at least half of all cases of cancer could be prevented.

But Cancer Research UK says that message has not go through to the public. The survey results reveal much confusion about what increases the risk of cancer.

Of the 4,000 people questioned, two-thirds (66%) were unaware that being overweight or obese increases the risk of some cancers.

A similar figure (67%) did not know that a diet low in fruit and vegetables could increase their chance of getting the disease.

Only one-third mentioned drinking less alcohol as a way of reducing risk.

And around 75% were ignorant of the cancer risks posed by taking HRT or having many sexual partners.

Misguided fears

In contrast, almost a quarter (24%) believed living near power lines was a risk. And more than one-third (34%) thought stress was linked to cancer.

There is no strong scientific evidence to support either of these beliefs.

The survey did find that the majority of people are aware that cancer is linked to smoking and over-exposure to the sun.

Professor Alex Markham, chief executive of Cancer Research UK, said: "The fundamental aim of this campaign is to alert everyone to the fact that each one of us can reduce our risk of getting cancer.

"There is no magic pill to prevent us getting the disease but there are many things we can all do in our daily lives to improve our chances of avoiding it."

The Reduce the Risk campaign will target thousands of GP surgeries, health promotion units, hospitals and outpatient departments with leaflets and posters on its key messages.

Information will be distributed to local authority leisure centres, swimming pools and shopping centres.

Jola Gore-Booth, chief executive of the charity Colon Cancer Concern, said: "Making people aware of these factors is a significant challenge when it comes to bowel cancer: people often find it embarrassing to talk about this part of their body.

"Yet when diagnosed in its early stages, bowel cancer is highly treatable - hence raising awareness is so important."

Cancer is diagnosed in more than 270,000 people in Britain each year.

MzNatural
Jan 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM
A similar figure (67%) did not know that a diet low in fruit and vegetables could increase their chance of getting the disease.

Shouldn't that be 'decrease'?
Interesting article, the numbers are similar here in the USA. :(

gertvegan
Jan 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
A similar figure (67%) did not know that a diet low in fruit and vegetables could increase their chance of getting the disease. I had to read it on few times.

MzNatural
Jan 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I had to read it on few times.
Thanks Gert!

I was hoping I was overlooking something. :p :o

foxytina_69
Mar 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM
what are some things or factors that cause cancer? (doesnt matter what type of cancer.) like gertvegan just showed me, soda may cause cancer. what are some other things? id like to make a 'booklet' type thing, with point facts of the things that cause all types of cancer, and id love to get vegan's input.

Mystic
Mar 27th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Smoking - it gave my Mum lung cancer and now she's dead.

eve
Mar 27th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Stress - it gave my youngest son cancer (he was barely 39 yrs old), and he died in 1991.

Roxy
Mar 27th, 2005, 07:55 AM
My brother recently told me that talcum powder can cause cancer. Does anyone have any factual evidence that could help back this up?

Roxy.

eve
Mar 27th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Not exactly factual, but even doctors now say women should avoid powdering genital area, and avoid powder near cuts or grazes. My sister worked for a large company that made talc, and she warned me never to use talc, but she didn't give a reason - she worked in the office but it was from what she heard from the factory scene.

Roxy
Mar 27th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks Eve. Wow.....I would love to know why your sister said what she did.....just as you probably want to know too!

That is serious cause for concern though, considering that a lot of mothers out there, use powder in their baby's nappies to help stop chafe and absorb sweat etc.

foxytina_69
Mar 27th, 2005, 10:30 AM
doesnt cornstarch work the same way that talc would?

Roxy
Mar 28th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure Foxy.

tails4wagging
Mar 28th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I use that mineral rock deodorant as I do not like using any other sort, because of the chemicals in them getting through the skin, I am sure there could be a link with that and breast cancer!

Wasnt there a scare some time ago about carrigean(spelling!!) and a certain fat in veggie/vegan products, can't remember the name, began hydro --.

veganblue
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
My brother recently told me that talcum powder can cause cancer. Does anyone have any factual evidence that could help back this up?

Roxy.

I just read a reference about talc that does *not* contain asbestos in useage around the outside of the lung to prevent pleural oedema (lung space filling with fluid). Maybe at some point the talc sourced contained asbestos which would have lead to asbestosis of the lungs.

kriz
Mar 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM
I use that mineral rock deodorant as I do not like using any other sort, because of the chemicals in them getting through the skin, I am sure there could be a link with that and breast cancer!

Wasnt there a scare some time ago about carrigean(spelling!!) and a certain fat in veggie/vegan products, can't remember the name, began hydro --. Unlike many other natural deodorants, the mineral stick really works. I love it! In US you can find it at chains like Whole Foods or smaller health food markets. The one brand I use is called Crystal Rock Stick, it's purple. I've also heard that there's a link between breast cancer and deodorants which contain chemicals.

veganblue
Mar 28th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Unlike many other natural deodorants, the mineral stick really works. I love it! In US you can find it at chains like Whole Foods or smaller health food markets. The one brand I use is called Crystal Rock Stick, it's purple. I've also heard that there's a link between breast cancer and deodorants which contain chemicals.

I use the rock crystal too! It does work but I have never worn one out - but repeatedly find that they don't bounce on tiles... *sigh*

kriz
Mar 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM
A friend of mine bought tons of them for his family in Portugal as Christmas presents. I love useful gifts.

celtic rose
Mar 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Wasnt there a scare some time ago about carrigean(spelling!!) and a certain fat in veggie/vegan products, can't remember the name, began hydro --.
Are you thinking of hydrogenated vegetable oil, used in lots of processed food, not just veg*n foods.
Haven't heard anything about it being carcinogenic but as a trans fat it is considered to be worse than saturated fat, especially regarding heart disease.

kriz
Mar 29th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Got to try the Crystal Rock Deodorant - it does not cause cancer. ;)

Kiva Dancer
Mar 29th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Yes, deodorant stones are the best!!

Another thing that causes cancer: heating foods hotter than 400*f. It does something that makes carcinigens (sp) form which over time causes cancer.

kriz
Mar 29th, 2005, 03:25 AM
What about microwaves and cellphones?....

eve
Mar 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM
And what about 'zapped' foods, including veges?