PDA

View Full Version : Cancer and animal products

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

globesetter
Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:47 AM
Posted by Korn Jan 27 2004, 12:28 PM

Hi,

Cancer can have many causes, one of them being diet. Yesterday I used Google to look for some more background info on the connection between cancer and animal products, and since these findings might be of interest for others too, I'll post them below.

Lots of the links are about the most common forms of cancer, since these are the forms that there probably has been the most research on. (Since the known connection between cancer and meat is relatively new, my personal guess is that we will see more cases where animal products also are linked to other forms of cancer and other diseases in the near future.)

If you look at these links, you'll find a lot more info.

"Scientific research shows that ovo-lacto-vegetarians are healthier than meat-eaters, and vegans are the healthiest overall.
A vegetarian diet helps to prevent cancer. Numerous epidemiological and clinical studies have shown that vegetarians are nearly 50 percent less likely to die from cancer than non-vegetarians. Similarly, breast cancer rates are dramatically lower in nations, such as China, that follow plant-based diets. Interestingly, Japanese women who follow Western-style, meat-based diets are eight times more likely to develop breast cancer than women who follow a more traditional plant-based diet.
Vegetarians also have lower rates of colon cancer than meat-eaters. Animal products are usually high in fat and always devoid of fiber. Meat and dairy products contribute to many forms of cancer, including cancer of the colon, breast, and prostate. Colon cancer has been directly linked to meat consumption. High-fat diets also encourage the body's production of estrogens, in particular, estradiol. Increased levels of this sex hormone have been linked to breast cancer. One recent study linked dairy products to an increased risk of ovarian cancer. The process of breaking down the lactose (milk sugar) into galactose evidently damages the ovaries. "
http://www.chennaionline.com/food/healthandnutrition/veg.asp

"Several major medical studies link the consumption of animal products-meat, fish, eggs, and dairy items-to increased risk of prostate enlargement and cancer. Daily meat consumption triples the risk of prostate cancer. Regular milk consumption doubles the risk. Failing to consume vegetables regularly almost quadruples it. "
"...After several years, however, he resumed eating chicken and fish, to see what would happen. The cancer returned viciously "
http://www.cancerproject.org/comms/comm05.html

"Up to 80% of all breast cancers and bowel cancers could be prevented if people improved their eating habits... The British way of nourishment, with its emphasis on meat, processed food like sausages and dearth of fruit and vegetables is causing the nation major health problems."
(The Guardian, 11.12.98, reporting on a new BMJ-published study by John Cummings et al of Dunn Clinical Nutrition Centre, Cambridge University.)
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/vegan/health01.htm

"Virtually every degenerative disease of modern society can be traced back to the consumption of animal products.
Compare this with Benefits of a Vegetarian Diet. (from the PCRM literature Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine)
Preventing cancer: "Numerous epidemiological and clinical studies have shown that vegetarians are nearly 50% less likely to die from cancer than non vegetarians." "
http://www.chrysalisyog.homestead.com/animal.html

"Studies have shown a direct correlation between meat consumption and colon cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and lung cancer. Every 55 seconds another American succumbs to cancer.
Colon cancer: meat and animal products rotting in the intestine release carcinogenic toxins, which cause the cancer.
Breast cancer: high levels of estrogen and dioxin (a pesticide which acts like estrogen in the body) in animal products, overstimulates breast cells and eventually sets off the uncontrolled growth that is cancer.
http://www.yale.edu/ycvs/factsheet.html

"Colon cancer is one of the world's top killers, but if you're a vegetarian, you have reason to breathe a sigh of relief. Meat-eaters, take note. The recent study by the European Prospective Investigation of Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study chillingly confirms what previous smaller studies have shown for years: Consumption of animal products are likely to cause colorectal (colon and rectal) cancer.
The massive EPIC study is the biggest ever into diet and cancer. It involved 406,323 people from nine countries over a period of 15 years. "
http://www.caringconsumer.com/c/39.html

"Happily, eating a healthy, low-fat, vegan diet-free of animal products-has no downside, as it also significantly reduces the chances of getting such serious problems as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, and digestive-tract cancers. "
http://www.cancerproject.org/comms/comm11.html

"The single most important dietary change to lower cancer risk is to become a vegetarian. "
http://nadadventist.org/hm3/7020/gcnc/cancer/cancer.html

"Hardly a month passes without a report of another study linking consumption of animal fat and meat with elevated risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and other killer diseases that cripple and kill 1.3 million Americans and cost $300 billion annually. "
http://www.staugustine.com/stories/080603/opi_kr004951.shtml

"The rate of colon cancer in meat eating cultures is up to ten times the rate of the non-meat eating cultures of Asia and the developing world. Research has shown that in those cultures eating plant-based diets, colon and prostate cancer are virtually nonexistent. The National Cancer Institute now encourages Americans to increase their consumption of common vegetables and fruits to reduce the risk of certain cancers and other diseases. Researchers at the National Cancer Institute have found that both fat and calories increase the risk of breast cancer. The National Cancer Institute is part of the National Institute of Health, which estimates that 35 percent of all cancer deaths are related to diet and two-thirds of all deaths - including those from coronary heart disease, strokes, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and some cancers - are related to lifestyle choices, including what we eat.

All animal products (meat, fish, fowl, eggs, and milk products) are high in cholesterol, protein, calories, and have no fiber. All animal products except fish are also high in saturated fat. In contrast, all plant products (vegetables, fruits, grains) are high in complex carbohydrates, fiber and low in calories with no cholesterol. The only plant products high in saturated fat are tropical oils (coconut oil, palm oil) and hydrogenated oil. People who live on a vegan diet (a diet which excludes all animal products, including milk and eggs) live longer, as studies of Seventh Day Adventists have shown.
http://www.loveenergy.com/deerheart/articl...ealth-meat.html

"The strongest risk factor for prostate cancer mortality was animal products, such as meat and dairy products; the strongest risk reduction factors were onions and other protective vegetable products (cereals/grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables, but excluding alcohol, oils, and added sugar (sweeteners)). "
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/502576/

"Many studies have suggested a link between a high fat diet, rich in animal products, and breast cancer. "
http://www.healthandage.com/PHome/gm=20!gid1=1063

"Meat consumption is more closely associated with colon cancer than any other dietary factor. "
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/VSK1.html

Korn
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:32 PM
From http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/031200pufavorite5.htm
Fish Promotes Breast Cancer

Fish intake is positively associated with breast cancer incidence rate published in the November 2003 issue of the Journal of Nutrition by Connie Stripp found the risk of a woman developing breast cancer increases when she eats more fish.The investigation studied 23,693 postmenopausal women, average age of 57 years.

For each 25 grams (less than an ounce) of lean fish consumed daily there was a 13% increase in risk of breast cancer.
For fatty fish the increase was 11% for each 25 grams. These findings are exactly the opposite of most of those that are found in experiments done in laboratories on animals. This may be because the laboratory experiments testing the link between fish fats (omega-3 fats) and cancer feed only omega-3 fats to the animals studied. A diet that includes only omega-3 fats would never be found in natural living conditions. In the real world where a mixture of fats is consumed, fish fat can be very cancer-promoting. Here are a few possible reasons:

1) Fish and fish fat are known to suppress our cancer-fighting immune system.

2) Fish is contaminated with cancer-causing environmental chemicals (like heavy metals and pesticides).

3) Cooking fish produces powerful carcinogens called heterocyclic amines.

For supporting research and more reasons to avoid fish in your health-supporting diet see my February 2003 Newsletter.

Stripp C, Overvad K, Christensen J, Thomsen BL, Olsen A, Moller S, Tjonneland A. Fish intake is positively associated with breast cancer incidence rate.æ J Nutr. 2003 Nov;133(11):3664-9.

julieruble
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM
So, is it just a positive association, or have they done studies that shown a causal association? I guess it's just a positive association with speculation that it may be causal because of the points you mentioned? Here (http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/133/11/3664) is the abstract.

beforewisdom
Aug 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:05:15 -0000
Subject: NOTMILK - Guest Editorial by Dr. John McDougall
Reply-To: notmilk-owner@yahoogroups.com

High Carb Diet Linked to Breast Cancer – More Deceit

Friday's (August 6, 2004) newspapers worldwide scared some people into
believing there is further reason to follow the low-carb diet craze, with
headlines like,

"High carb diet linked to breast cancer – Study finds Mexican women who ate
lots of carbohydrates twice as likely to get disease" (San Francisco
Chronicle).

According to this newspaper article, these women from Mexico City were
getting their main carbohydrates from tortillas, soft drinks, and bread.
You might think it is time to change your diet – as far away from what
McDougall recommends as possible. Now is not the time for people to make
the switch to Atkins or South Beach to save their breasts, but rather now
is the time to sort out the undeniable truth.

Confusion has been created – and I believe willfully so by reporters and
researchers – by lumping highly processed foods, like sugars and refined
flours, and natural carbohydrates, like starches (corn tortillas),
vegetables and fruits, together. The only excuse for such obviously
irresponsible reporting is that sensational headlines justifying people's
bad habits sell newspapers and flatter the egos of researchers by providing
them a moment in the spotlight.

The truth, as mentioned much later in the article, is that the
cancer-producing diet is one high in sodas and desserts, and lacking in
insoluble fiber from whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

What the Study Actually Says

The study published in the August 2004 issue of the journal Cancer
Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention clearly reported more breast cancer
in women who ate more calories, protein, total carbohydrates, sucrose, and
fructose. (1)

Sucrose is table sugar and fructose is the primary sugar found in soft
drinks (sodas); usually reported as high fructose corn syrup. Eating more
fiber and starch (often referred to as complex carbohydrates), both only
found in plant foods, meant less breast cancer according to the study.

The explanation for carbohydrates increasing breast cancer rates was that
an increase in dietary carbohydrate raises blood sugar and insulin levels.
This results in an elevation of Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1), which
raises the risk of cancer. IGF-1 does play an important role in cancer,
however, research shows this growth-stimulating hormone is increased in our
diets primarily by animal proteins, (2) and especially those derived from
dairy products. (3) My guess is these important facts were overlooked
because this information did not fit into the authors' pet theory.

Regardless, what is clear is that the diet of Hispanics in Mexico and the
USA has progressively deteriorated over the past 50 years, and as a result,
their rates of obesity, type-2 diabetes, heart disease, and cancer of the
breast, colon, and prostate have increased as expected. (4,5)

If you have been to a major city anywhere in Mexico, or Central or South
America, like Mexico City, then you know what I am talking about. There is
a fast-food restaurant on every corner; the supermarket shelves are lined
with greasy corn and potato chips, and other "junk" carbohydrates; and meat
and dairy products are coveted by people wanting to share in the American
dream.

Women Following the Traditional Mexican Diet Have Much Less Breast Cancer

The truth about the diet of women of Mexican ancestry and breast cancer is
summed up in an article from the New York Academy of Science (6):

"...the age-adjusted rate of breast cancer in countries such as Mexico is
among the lowest in the world. In addition, although one of the
fastest-growing minority groups in the United States, Hispanic women living
in this country have been shown to have the lowest incidence of the
mortality rates from this disease across most geographic regions of the
United States. Therefore, one might speculate that dietary factors, which
have been shown to play a role in breast cancer prevention, may account for
this difference. It is well recognized that the traditional Hispanic diet
is rich in protective nutrients such as dietary fiber. It is known that
through complex mechanisms, dietary fiber works to reduce the amount of
estrogens in the body."

The traditional Mexican diet has been one of corn (tortillas), beans,
fruits and vegetables. This kind of eating is associated with very low
rates of breast cancer and all other diseases common to people living in
Western societies. (7)

There are many qualities of traditional plant-based foods that prevent
diseases, qualities that include their dietary starch, fiber, vitamins,
minerals, and other phyto-nutrients. On the other hand, animal-based, and
highly-processed, foods encourage cancer growth because they lack these
plant-food ingredients and are high in cholesterol, fat, protein, and
environmental chemicals. (8)

Breast cancer in Mexico is on the rise, affecting younger women with more
frequency for one obvious reason. The younger generations are targeted by,
and most easily fall prey to, the marketing efforts of the food industries.
Articles like this one that appear in our press serve to confuse people and
further compound our worldwide health problems. Newspaper reporters who
write this nonsense, and researchers that allow this dishonesty to go on
uncorrected, should be ashamed of themselves, and may someday be held
accountable for the human suffering caused by twisting the truth.

References:

1) Isabelle Romieu, Eduardo Lazcano-Ponce, Luisa Maria Sanchez-Zamorano,
Walter Willett, and Mauricio Hernandez-Avila Carbohydrates and the Risk of
Breast Cancer among Mexican Women Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2004 13:
1283-1289.

2) Yu H. Role of the insulin-like growth factor family in cancer
development and progression. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000 Sep
20;92(18):1472-89.

3) Holmes MD. Dietary correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor I and
insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations. Cancer
Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002 Sep;11(9):852-61.

4) Jimenez-Cruz A, Bacardi-Gascon M, Turnbull WH, Rosales-Garay P,
Severino-Lugo I. A flexible, low-glycemic index mexican-style diet in
overweight and obese subjects with type 2 diabetes improves metabolic
parameters during a 6-week treatment period. Diabetes Care. 2003
Jul;26(7):1967-70.

5) Rivera JA, Barquera S, Campirano F, Campos I, Safdie M, Tovar V.
Epidemiological and nutritional transition in Mexico: rapid increase of
non-communicable chronic diseases and obesity. Public Health Nutr. 2002
Feb;5(1A):113-22.

6) Jones LA, Gonzalez R, Pillow PC, Gomez-Garza SA, Foreman CJ, Chilton JA,
Linares A, Yick J, Badrei M, Hajek RA.. Dietary fiber, Hispanics, and
breast cancer risk? Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997 Dec 26;837:524-36.

7) Malin AS, Qi D, Shu XO, Gao YT, Friedmann JM, Jin F, Zheng W. Intake of
fruits, vegetables and selected micronutrients in relation to the risk of
breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 2003 Jun 20; 105(3):413-8.

8) Kushi L, Giovannucci E. Dietary fat and cancer. Am J Med. 2002 Dec
30;113 Suppl 9B:63S-70S. Review.

9) Romieu I, Hernandez-Avila M, Lazcano-Ponce E, Weber JP, Dewailly E.
Breast cancer, lactation history, and serum organochlorines. Am J
Epidemiol. 2000 Aug 15;152(4):363-70.
__________________________________________________ __________
Thanks to Dr. McDougall for the passion it took to
research and write this article!

Please visit Dr. John McDougall's website for
multiple doses of magnificent medical advice:

http://drmcdougall.com (http://drmcdougall.com/)

Robert Cohen
http://www.notmilk.com (http://www.notmilk.com/)

Andie
Nov 8th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Tonight the local American Cancer Society will be kicking off its annual fundraiser with a dinner. The event is catered by Fatz, an American casual restaurant. All these cancer events center around meat and dairy foods. I want to scream, "People, this diet is one of the main reasons many of you have cancer." Then I want to suggest they spend their energy going vegan and lobbying against pollution in the environment.

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I went to the hospital to work with an ill friend who is HIV Positive, has cirrhosis of the liver and a kidney & lung infection.

His dinner while in the hospital? Coffee, Cream of Potato Soup, A white roll with margarine (hydrogentated), broiled fish swimming in margarine, Gelatin, BOILED to death green beans and ice cream.

Okay, dairy= phlegm producing and hard on the kidneys & lungs

White flour & Sugar= phlegm producing & constipating (which forces the liver to work harder)

Fish= hard on the kidneys & liver, no fiber (constipating & high sodium)

Hydrogenated Oil= POISON!

Coffee= acid-forming & dehydrating

It makes me so sad...:(

feline01
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I was sickened that the hospital I gave birth at has a McDonald's in it. So one can eat all their meals there and then just go upstairs for their triple by-pass. Disgusting. Plus, they closed the regular cafetaria early and the McDonald's stayed open late.

Artichoke47
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I will never support the American Cancer Society. They're all about finding the cancer and treating it, when really, we should be focusing on preventing it, i.e., stop eating animals and their secretions and regular exercise (and obviously no tobacco use). Common sense, really. Those bastards take people's donations and don't ever put it to good use. What a waste. Then you have the idiots that trust them because they're supposed to be doing good. Well, I have yet to see the ACS actually educate people.

Artichoke47
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Oh, and I love how they say that doing monthly self breast exams PREVENTS cancer. Last I checked, it may find it, but not prevent it. They are liars and/or misleaders. It makes me sick.

I bet they'll sit there at dinner and talk about how good the flesh is that they're eating.

Would you like me to tell you what I really think? ;)

meatless
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah I always find it ironic when:

1. An animal rescue organization has a BBQ fundraiser. WTF?

2. The heart and stroke foundation has a BBQ fundraiser. Again, WTF? ;)

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah I always find it ironic when:

1. An animal rescue organization has a BBQ fundraiser. WTF?

2. The heart and stroke foundation has a BBQ fundraiser. Again, WTF? ;)

Aye, I used to work for a rescue whose founders were; one meat eating housewife, and one ex-Dairy farmer husband.
Every fundraiser included a BBQ, plus other ill-assorted yukkies to eat/drink.
I lived in a caravan in their garden, they used to introduce me as 'the Vegan, he-he!', as though I was the odd one!!
It really used to upset me, why can't these kind of people see the irony there???? :mad:

Artichoke47
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Oh, geez. It's like the "animal lover" who was so sweet to give pigs' ears to his dog. WTF?

Andie
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Another incidence of health care hypocrisy takes place in my workplace breakroom. The man and woman who own the vending machines stock them with the typical salt and sugar fare. He is also a licensed massage therapist. Was he absent the day they covered nutrition?

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
From what I hear, to be screened for cancer is VERY costly, and I could never afford it. But seeing as I have so much cancer in my family I feel almost like I should be entitled to it! (Just to list a few people, my mother, both grandmothers, one grandfather, Uncle and 1st cousin have all either had cancer or died from it).

Has anybody had a cancer screening and what does it involve? Or does anybody feel like they should be just entitled to it too!!!

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:22 PM
When my mother was in the Peter McCallum CANCER institute, being treated for lung cancer, not only were her meals akin to the one's being mentioned, but lots of the staff would join the patients for a smoke outside. And being in the lung cancer ward, and having at least one person die every couple of days, you would think that it may be a motivator to quit???? :confused:

feline01
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:38 PM
If you mean like a pap smear, I get one every year and am diligent after my gynecologist finding abnormal cells a few years ago. I also get a yearly breast exam and had a mammogram once after my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I never had a total cancer screening if there is such a thing here. I doubt my insurance company would pay for it, they rather wait for me to get cancer and then pay for the treatment :mad:

Mystic
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:38 AM
No I mean whole body screenings

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Scans, right? They are about $500.00-2000.00 here...

tails4wagging
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Tonight the local American Cancer Society will be kicking off its annual fundraiser with a dinner. The event is catered by Fatz, an American casual restaurant. All these cancer events center around meat and dairy foods. I want to scream, "People, this diet is one of the main reasons many of you have cancer." Then I want to suggest they spend their energy going vegan and lobbying against pollution in the environment.

Well Andie, what goes around, comes around.

Andie
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately the environmental issues are also effecting all of us. Even eating organic, we get bad stuff in the air and water ( i haven't bought a filtering system yet) I do feel sorry for folks who have cancer and then have a recurrence. I know ACS tells people to change their diet but it doesn't seem to sink in. One of these days when I learn enough, I'm going to teach a vegan cooking class at the community college.

Gorilla
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:44 PM
When my mother was in the Peter McCallum CANCER institute, being treated for lung cancer, not only were her meals akin to the one's being mentioned, but lots of the staff would join the patients for a smoke outside. And being in the lung cancer ward, and having at least one person die every couple of days, you would think that it may be a motivator to quit????

as far as i know, a lot of healthcare workers smoke, despite being confronted with the consequences of smoking every day in the hospitals and clinics. :(

don't many of the major cancer and heart disease prevention charities (in the UK at least) spend vast amounts of their donated cash on worthless animal testing, and hardly any money promoting ways to avoid these problems, such as avoiding animal produce? :confused:

Kevster
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Gert Vegan'll tell you a little bit about the food at the British Heart Foundation fund raiser we went too, and also about their obsession with animal tests. Though we weren't there to support BHF ;)

cedarblue
Nov 28th, 2004, 02:56 PM
for your information.....click here (http://www.veganoutreach.org/health/gotmilk.html)

Hasha
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Excellent article, Cedar.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM
The 'friend' to whom I previously referred in my 'shaking with anger' post, has Crohns. She is rushed to hospital every few months with heavy bleeding.
In between hospital visits she fills her body with chocolate, cake, biscuits, lots of meat, and drinks copious amounts of Bacardi and Wine. She also smokes cigars!