i made these yesterday.

ani phyo book.

1 cup almonds
1 1/2 cup dates
1 vanilla bean
1 tablespoon sea salt
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1 cup dessicated coconut

nb: i didn't use the vanilla, just one cup of dates (running low), small pinch salt and because i only had 1/2 cup coconut i used some dried cranberries too instead. i also soaked the dates in cold water for a couple of hours first.

chop the almonds into quite small pieces in blender.
sprinkle some nut powder over the base of a 9" or thereabouts, square dish.
(i lined mine with parchment paper)
in a bowl, mix together with hands (squeezing about) the rest of the ingredients and press into dish.
chill in fridge for a couple of hours will firm then cut into squares.
will keep in the fridge for 6 days.

you could probably also roll them into mini balls too! again store in fridge.
my husband liked these too! :D

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/coconutlemonslice.jpg

eco
Jan 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM
They look good! I love anything that contains lemon and coconut. Do you think you could get away with using vanilla essence instead of the bean?

Poison Ivy
Jan 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Ooh, my copy of the book has arrived today and I've just been looking at the Lemon Coconut bars - they look yummy Cedar!!:D

cedarblue
Jan 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM
i guess you can eco, as i say i forgot it completely. although of course it wouldnt be completely raw with the essence - but who's looking? :D

vava
Jan 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
OOOh I have just ordered this book from the book depository and I am getting excited about the changes you could make to the lemon bars recipe. You could have hazelnuts or any other sort of nuts or seeds surely and there are loads of flavourings you could have as well. And you could have an orange or a lime instead of the lemon.......... This will be my first delve into raw and it looks like something I am going to really take to. Thank you Cedar for posting the recipe!:D

Edit - I am always stunned by the amount of salt there is in American cookery.