PDA

View Full Version : custard!

jonny_mears
Jan 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
does anyone have any ideas for a pudding with lots of custard? i bought some alpro custard, and i can't really be bothered to make an apple crumble or something time-consuming to have it with, but i could make some kind of quick trifle...

harpy
Jan 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM
You could just slice a banana into it - delicious and not at all time-consuming, though it hardly adds up to a trifle :D Or how about baked apples?

jonny_mears
Jan 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
good plan harpy, i think i'll go for the banana option :)

Enchantress
Jan 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
You could get some Just Wholefoods (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/script/search.html?query=jelly%20crystals)jelly crystals (Holland & Barret sells them), mix them up with boiling water as per the packet instructions, pour it into a bowl, plonk it in the fridge and wait for it to set. Then slosh the Alpro custard on and top with sliced banana, you could add some Soyatoo cream (http://www.veganstore.co.uk/soyatoo_cream.html) too.

Sluggie
Jan 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
How about bread and butter margerine pudding?

twinkle
Jan 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I like that custard with cocoa powder, vanilla essence/rum as basic additions - also good in there as well are crushed cornflakes and/or chocolate spread. Tonight I had one of the small pots with cocoa, vanilla essence and a teaspoon of Plamil chocolate orange spread :D

Alternatively, frozen raspberries are good - add a handful to room temp custard and wait ten minutes then stir. They cool it down and it defrosts them.

Blue moon
Jan 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Coop sell a crumble packet mix - get a tin of fruit like apples or blackberry filling, chuck the packet crumble on top, done!

Or, put it on ice-cream, mixes lovely with cold swedish glace.

Or, that Alpro custard is good if you take 1 dessert spoon, settle on sofa, and tuck in :p

cedarblue
Jan 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
stew a little tart fruit, rhubarb, plums etc then when soft and cool, blend up and mix into custard for a fruit fool

jonny_mears
Jan 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
well.. i went for baked apple with custard first.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22271087@N07/2195204249/

and for my second pudding, i went had hot custard with banana and a bit of whisky thrown in the mix. and then my head exploded with pleasure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22271087@N07/2195993708/

emmy
Jan 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
wow, that looks really nice! and whiskey with bananas and custard - i'm going to have to try that one day!
i tend to rip the carton open and pour it straight into my mouth though! not quite as civilised as blue moon!

Roxy
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I have a carton of Alpro Soy Custard in my cupboard. I want to open it and put it on some pie, but I'm not going to eat the whole carton at once. Will it keep alright in the fridge for a day or 2? I'm worried that it'll separate or go watery or something.

AnneCE
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
My favourite quick pudding - apple sauce from a jar (the sort sold to go with meat dishes) plus Alpro vanilla custard.
I think it says on the packet that it will keep for 5 days in the fridge - never known it to go watery. I usually eat it within 5 minutes days.
I've eaten the chocolate one just out of the carton.

piggy
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
yeah bread pudding is good with custard...slices of white bread, spread with apricot jam and marge, then sprinkled with cinnamon and raisins. layer slices in an ovenproof dish, then pour over soy/rice etc milk, not too much, must all be soaked up. then leave in oven until golden and crispy on top
then serve warm with custard :p

Roxy
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM
My favourite quick pudding - apple sauce from a jar (the sort sold to go with meat dishes) plus Alpro vanilla custard.
I think it says on the packet that it will keep for 5 days in the fridge - never known it to go watery. I usually eat it within 5 minutes days.
I've eaten the chocolate one just out of the carton.

Thank you :) I couldn't wait for anyone to reply....so I just opened it, hoping for the best lol.

O.....M......G.........

This is my first time trying Alpro custard and it is divine! I wish I could eat it every day!!!