PDA

View Full Version : dry milk substitute

sage68
Jan 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Does anyone know of a good substitute for dry milk in bread maker recipes? I am wanting to start using my bread maker again but practically every recipe in my recipe books requires dry milk. Help!

Kristi

harpy
Jan 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I gather most people just leave the dried milk out - that's certainly what I did/do (although my current breadmaker doesn't have dried milk in most of its recipes anyway, unlike the older one I borrowed which had them in virtually all the recipes that came with it :confused:). You may end up with a less shiny crust or something like that, but otherwise it probably won't make any difference.

I believe some people substitute powdered soy milk, if you can get that where you are.

Marrers
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
We discussed it a bit in this thread sage68:-
http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13672

sage68
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Thank you so much! That was quite helpful. I looked for a similar thread before I posted mine but didn't see one. I will definitely try making my bread without it, since so many people seem to have good results with it and I am having trouble finding powdered soy milk.

Marrers
Jan 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
There is a Search function on the top of the page but sometimes it can be a long slog to check properly. (I knew it was there and what words to search since I had posted in it!)