PDA

View Full Version : Bento (Japanese style) packed, vegan meals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

cobweb
Apr 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
i want a laptop lunch!

so do i, but i want vegcurry to pack it every day :D

cobweb
Apr 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Not really, but then again I don't bother going out or anything social like that so my food bills don't really matter too much. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

we're the same, and food is important to us, but i am trying to get my food bill down, it nears £100 per week at the moment for the 3 of us + 1 dog :eek:. I'd love a bento but am afraid it would lead me further astray.

bryzee86
Apr 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
we're the same, and food is important to us, but i am trying to get my food bill down, it nears £100 per week at the moment for the 3 of us + 1 dog :eek:. I'd love a bento but am afraid it would lead me further astray.

blimey! Do you eat gold?

cobweb
Apr 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
well that's our entire shopping bill, food, loo paper, washing-up stuff, etc but it does seem a lot, doesn't it?.
all 4 of us (including dog) do eat a lot.

Animosity
Apr 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM
well that's our entire shopping bill, food, loo paper, washing-up stuff, etc but it does seem a lot, doesn't it?.
all 4 of us (including dog) do eat a lot.

That's not bad, It's $200 a week just from the health food markets for me. I have 4 canines that eat canned food from there (about $5 a day) and my Grandfather drinks about $10 of soy milk:eek:, My Grandmother goes through 2 gallons of orange juice :eek::eek::eek:, We always find some kind of uneeded pricey goody (coffee for me :p) and of course the fruits and veggies for the guinea and I, Plus non animal tested products are pricey and "faux" products aren't cheap. Organics are trendy so they cost a bunch now. Groceries are just pricey all together nowadays. I mean unless you buy cheap artificial foods you're going to end up paying a good deal for a whole famliy.

Roxy
Apr 7th, 2008, 06:52 AM

You know cobweb, I find the bento helps me save money. Firstly I'm taking a yummy lunch every day and not buying lunches instead. Plus I'm using up leftovers or single pieces of fruit and stuff that would ordinarly be thrown out if I wasn't putting them into my laptop.

Anyway, just something for you to think about. A bento might actually work in the opposite way than you think it will :)

vegcurry
Apr 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You know cobweb, I find the bento helps me save money. Firstly I'm taking a yummy lunch every day and not buying lunches instead. Plus I'm using up leftovers or single pieces of fruit and stuff that would ordinarly be thrown out if I wasn't putting them into my laptop.

That's what I do. I like my leftovers and salad bits :)

scarlett
Apr 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I never have any leftovers living with my husband and dog !!! :D

cobweb - our food bill is about that each week also - 3 of us and a dog - I've tried and tried to get it down, but it doesn't work ! We don't have any luxuries or anything :confused:

Anyway, in my bento today:
Veggie tart, carrot sticks, plum tomato, green olives, few prunes.

cobweb
Apr 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
good, scarlett, it's not just us then!. We don't drink or have fancy stuff, just ice-cream sometimes and some 'fake meats'.

i obviously don't go out to work but i fancy a bento because i hate making lunch and thought i could just get this ready the day before and then not have to stop what i'm doing the next day. However, i will have to speak to the other half because unless he wants to have one himself, or make his own lunch then it'll be a bit pointless.

cedarblue
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
i fancy a bento because i hate making lunch and thought i could just get this ready the day before and then not have to stop what i'm doing the next day. However, i will have to speak to the other half because unless he wants to have one himself, or make his own lunch then it'll be a bit pointless.

couldn't you get yourself one and then 'conveniently take the dog for a walk at lunchtime' and picnic with your box on a hill somewhere?

!!
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I'd so do that if I worked from home :D

emmapresley
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
all my bento goodies (new box and a stack of twee cutsie stuffs) i ordered for on 29th march haven't arrived yet :(
am i being impatient?! :p

pavotrouge
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
depends on where you ordered them from... stuff from the US can take loads of time to get to Europe. Whereas bento goods I order from Japan always arrive within a week. Strange, innit?

missbettie
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
sometimes if I call when an online order is taking to long they resend the order and I get a double shipment...like an extra pressie! I normally call and ask if they want me to ship it back, but most of the time its just cheaper for them if I keep it.

emmapresley
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
they're coming from hong kong. so..i'm thinking if they're not here by say, thursday then i'll start getting in touch.
this has happened with other stuff i've ordered over the net..i think there's a corrupt postie on the loose round here nabbing all my goodies?! :confused:

oh! they were shipped on the 2nd..so really it's only been 5 days? huh..maybe i am impatient :o

pavotrouge
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
did you choose priority mail? If you didn't, 10-18 days are pretty normal.

emmapresley
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
priority whaaaa' you say?! :eek:

10-18 days it is then :(

vegcurry
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
TUESDAY 8-4-2008 - clockwise from top left:
[1] Spinach [homegrown :)] & chick pea & aubergine curry and basmati rice, with pickled jalapeno chillies.
[2] Two mini samosas with hummous.
[3] Banana with lemon juice, and mango chutney (in the green pot).
[4] Yellow pepper, dried apricot, marinated olives, radish, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, baby leaf lettuce.
& pancake (recipe from Vegan With A Vengeance) ... it's on the plate so as not to obscure all the other stuff.
& chilli powder as a condiment (in the sachet).

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/vegcurry/Bento/Bento_011_08042008.jpg

Sluggie
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
That is a work of art Vegcurry. :)

vegcurry
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
@ sluggie
thank you. :)

cobweb
Apr 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
couldn't you get yourself one and then 'conveniently take the dog for a walk at lunchtime' and picnic with your box on a hill somewhere?

ooh cedar you are naughty! :eek:
actually this might not be a great idea because the dog would probably eat all my food, she's awful greedy these days and goes mad for vegan snacks! :D.

I think i'm going to buy 2 bentos - a his 'n' hers set! ;).

jamboxrock
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Today: Amy's non-dairy pot pie, broccoli florets w/ goddess dressing, baked beans, prunes & dried mango

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/jamboxrock/lunches/4-7-08.jpg

Tomorrow: twice baked potatoes, carrot sticks, hummus, dried apples, cranberry almond dark chocolate

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/jamboxrock/lunches/4-8-08.jpg

Roxy
Apr 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Once again - beautiful looking lunch there Vegcurry!

Jambox - those potatoes look lovely!!

Here's what I had today:

Jasmine rice with organic veg (red chard, broccoli, celery) stir fried in garlic & lime juice. Organic carrots with hummus, Sheese pieces, crackers, dried fruit (banana, kiwi, papaya) and the lovely chocolately thing is a Whistler's Own Bakery Skookum Bar.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/2397105473_14104ecfda.jpg

emmapresley
Apr 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
your rice looks really nice there roxy :)
everyones boxes look great!

after complaining impatiently yesterday my bento stuff came today. i bought a 3 tiered box, which is actually smaller than the other one i had (which i gave to anna).

it's like the size of a loo roll or something :confused: :D

bryzee86
Apr 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
wtf?! These bento people need to get their acts together and produce a decent sized bento!