PDA

View Full Version : Galette des rois

auntierozzi
Jan 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
12 days after Christmas and then all through January the French eat this puff pastry pie filled with an almond, chocolate or apple filling. There is always a little porcelain figure (the feve) hidden inside and the one who finds this is the king or queen of the day. In order to fairly distribute the pieces, the youngest member of the party has to go under the table and tell the person cutting the galette who is to have each slice. (This is just really so that the adults can arrange for the one under the table to get the feve). The king or queen wears a cardboard crown.

It is usually packed with eggs but here is the recipe I made today:

Heat oven to 220°C 350°F

I was lazy and bought 2 packs of vegan puff pastry.
For the filling mix up the following ingredients:

I used 200g of ground almonds (you can also use any other ground nuts)
150g darkest brown organic sugar
10g corn flour
100g soft margarine
tsp or more of bitter almond extract
I also put in a dash of Amaretto.
a little soya milk if it's too dry.

Put the pastry in 30cm pie dish and prick it with fork then spread the filling on. Cover this with the remaining pastry (after putting in the feve you have one) to make the lid. Do some swirls to decorate and join the edges together well. Make a few holes in the lid for air.

Then bake for 40 mins. until golden.

Bon Appétit!

Haniska
Jan 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
oh man that sounds awesome. I avoid processed corn, any suggestions for a replacement?

Aurore
Jan 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM
rice flour ?

at home we double the filling, yum ! ;)

Haniska
Jan 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
That REALLY sounds like a bear claw:D

Haniska
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I made this filling last night and stuffed it into my short bread cookies with a dash of cinnamon. My fiance, who has eaten maybe .5% of what I have ever made in our entire relationship was all like "What ya got cookin???"

Kitteh
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Auntierozzi, this sounds delish!! Will deffo be making this soon. My Grandmère has told me about this and would love it if I made one.