PDA

View Full Version : granose mock duck

herbwormwood
Jan 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I bought a tin of granose mock duck but I don't know what to serve it with never having had it before. I was thinking of having it with stir fry. What do others do who eat mock duck?

Mr Flibble
Jan 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Easiest thing to do is to squeeze the disgusting liquid it comes in out, rinse then roast with oil or fry.

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=maincourses&recipe=thai_crispy_duck

vegcurry
Jan 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I slice it and fry it up with mushrooms and then stuff it into a pitta bread with salad.

harpy
Jan 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I occasionally use that to make mock Peking duck. I use tortillas instead of the little flour pancakes you get in Chinese restaurants, but you could make your own pancakes if you were feeling adventurous.

Quickly stir-fry the sliced seitan with some chopped-up spring onions (and sometimes other vegetables such as green peppers) and then add plum sauce out of a jar (although again you could no doubt make your own). Use this mixture to fill the pancakes/tortillas.

Not exactly a healthy meal but too much health is bad for you ;)

Sluggie
Jan 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I like it best roasted, so the mock-skin goes crispy.

herbwormwood
Jan 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I used it on Saturday. I stir fried it with a sliced carrot then added a bag of co-op frozen oriental style vegetables. Then I added a packet of blue dragon plum sauce and served it all with brown rice.
I was rather hungry at the time I was cooking it so I drank the gravy out of the mock duck tin to stave off the hunger pangs.
I will definitely use it again!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Mr Flibble
Jan 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I drank the gravy out of the mock duck tin to stave off the hunger pangs.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

emmapresley
Jan 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
EW!

this stuff is sheer filth in my opinion..shame on you all :mad:

Hemlock
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
EW!

this stuff is sheer filth in my opinion..shame on you all :mad:

Totally agree, I tried this once and went to A&E to get my stomach pumped (well thought about it anyway):)

Noogle
Jan 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
It's really nice in curry. :D Apart from that, it's horrible!

Sluggie
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I occasionally use that to make mock Peking duck. I use tortillas instead of the little flour pancakes you get in Chinese restaurants, but you could make your own pancakes if you were feeling adventurous.
Sainsburys sell the chinese pancakes and they are vegan as far as I can tell. You will find them in the chiller section (next to the dead ducks unfortunately).

angelamc
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
This sounds very intriguing. I've never heard of it before, do you think it's available in US markets?

Pob
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Sainsburys sell the chinese pancakes and they are vegan as far as I can tell. You will find them in the chiller section (next to the dead ducks unfortunately).
Oooh, I'll have to check in our one. Only place I had found them was ASDA and they haven't had any for a while, or even space on the shelf for them.

Pob
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
This sounds very intriguing. I've never heard of it before, do you think it's available in US markets?
http://vegefoodsandnuts.com/ have it listed as braised gluten - that's about half the price we pay over here. Chinese supermarkets usually sell it too.

Marrers
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I like mock duck but more often have braised tofu in tins which I think is fairly similar but not quite so solidly formed. I think it delicious and love the texture.

I eat it cold out of the tin or just add it to whatever I'm making (pasta sauce, curry or stew) without frying it.

I have also been known to drink the juice! :p