Jan 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
hi everyone

easy recipe for my first post here,

umeboshi/ red kidney

1 cup kidney beans
4 cups water
1 piece of kombu, (the size of a postage stamp) or 1 pinch of sea salt

1 cup red onion minced
2 Tbs olive oil (or 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil and 1 Tbs olive oil)
3 Tbs ume vinegar

additional option - add 2 Tbs umeboshi paste or 2 chopped umeboshi plums

Preparing the beans:
- sort, wash and strain the kidney beans, place in glass bowl, add water and 1/2" piece of kombu, soak overnight (8 to 12 hours)
- the next day, discard soaking water, put kidney beans in large pot, add 6 cups of water
- bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and boil for ten minutes, skim off foam
- once the foaming process has settled down, cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 45 mn.

- mix oil, vinegar and red onions together in a bowl, (if using umeboshi paste or plums, also add now)
- add kidney beans to the dressing while warm, this allows the beans to absorb the flavor faster
- this recipe can be served immediately but if you give it time to marinate it is even tastier!

you will love it....

Patrick

www.the7thelement.com

RubyDuby
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
i saw the word "umeboshi" then "ume vinegar", "umboshi paste" and wondered where is this person from? I've never heard of these things... then I see you're down the road from me. :rolleyes: I'm sheltered.

makropat
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
sorry about that

umeboshi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi

Widely use in asia, umeboshi is an immune system booster, antiseptic/antibiotic properties, great for stomach ache (just suck on a pit)
, it's a great help to fight cold symptoms and , nevertheless, it's delicious

patrick