PDA

View Full Version : Smoky flavouring for soup... ideas?

Pages : [1] 2

owen
Jan 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I was just chatting to a friend who's a retired fireman and used to do the cooking in the firehouse.

He gave me a recipe for lentil soup that had ham in it "or anything smoky".

Obviously ain't gonna put that in it but was wondering about vegan foods with smoky flavours... drawing a blank at the moment but really fancy a smoky-flavoured plant-based food to add to me lentil soup.

Anyone got any ideas?

O

Risker
Jan 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM
You can buy a product called liquid smoke, never tried it myself though

twinkle
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:03 AM
In places like Fresh and Wild you can buy Topas smoked seitan slices, which might work.

sponge
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I use liquid smoke a lot in soups or in seitan that you want to taste "barbecue-like" Try it. It's good, but a small amount is all you need.

bryzee86
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
i'd love liquid smoke. seen so many recipes i'd love to try, but you cannot get the damned stuff over here!

ooh maybe a ruby-duby-super-marmitey-swappy.....

RubyDuby
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
ooooh, i sure do have liquid smoke ;)

havent tried it in soup yte though... hmm.

owen
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks!

I'd never heard of liquid smoke but after a bit of googling just ordered 3 bottles on line. £15 (but about half of that was P&P which was a bugger).

Seems to be common in the US. I've never seen it over here... but then again I don't walk down the barbecue aisles in the supermarket :D

O

Sluggie
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM
You could try smoked paprika, but the paprika part of the flavour might be a bit overpowering. Or there's always smoked tofu.

Roxy
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Mmmmm smoked tofu! Or faux bacon might work too. It has a bit of a "smoky" flavour.

auntierozzi
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I love the smoked paprika too.

Pob
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I think smoked paprika should do the trick too. Tastes a bit like smoky bacon to me, actually.

Be careful, though, as some smoked paprika I have bought was more like smoked cayenne! It was really, really hot.

owen
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I've never noticed smoked paprika before. Can you get it in most supermarkets or do you have to get it elsewhere?

Sluggie
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I buy it in Sainsburys. It's usually in the "posh foodie" section rather than with the other spices. It comes in little red tins.

Marrers
Jan 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Those Bacos fake bacon bits are still vegan aren't they? Would they do the trick?

owen
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Sainsbury's for the smoked paprika. Looking forward to trying stuff with that.

As for the heat... I make my lentil soup with chillies... I love really spicy food. :)

Yep fake bacon bits might do it Marrers but tbh it's not quite my thing - I can't remember the last time I had fake meat -- just don't want it. My ex- used to do stuff with Quorn "mince" when I went over there and I think that was the last time I ate it.

O

harpy
Jan 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I think the bacon bits are made from GM soy unfortunately - that's why I stopped buying them although there may be other brands somewhere.

You can sometimes get smoked garlic - that might have done the job but obviously you're sorted now!

ETA interesting that a firefighter would go in for smoky flavours :D

owen
Jan 31st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Just ate a big bowlful of that soup -- really, really nice.

Here we go:

250g lentils (used green this time; usually use red)

saucepan of water with a vegetable stock cube

onion

handful of celery

handful of carrots

2 cloves garlic

4 cloves of er... cloves [this is the flavour I really love in this soup and it goes nice with the smoky flavour too]

3 chillies

splash of liquid smoke

cook for no idea cos my friend Gi phoned and I lost track of time while it was simmering, had to top up the water at one point, bet it was about 40 mins to an hour. Normally do about 30-40 mins with red lentils

Topped off with a bit of fresh coriander sprinkled on the bowlful

YUM!

Thanks all! :D

Harpy, Jack is a retired fireman but he used to cook for the guys in the firehouse (which I guess is an American fire station) and the recipe he gave me was all in non-metric units but would feed about 12 blokes -- seriously!

vegcurry
Jan 31st, 2008, 05:45 PM
i'd love liquid smoke. seen so many recipes i'd love to try, but you cannot get the damned stuff over here!

ooh maybe a ruby-duby-super-marmitey-swappy.....

I think I've seen it in Morrisons.

86onions
Jun 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Chipotle is supposed to work in soups that want the smoky (ham) flavor.

DCouch
Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:36 AM
Chipotle Chilies!
They are smoked chilies in a spicy tomato sauce. they come in a can.

Ruby Rose
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
DP - chipotle has already been suggested - but it's not readily available in the UK

gogs67
Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I just use veggie rashers chopped up into tiny pieces!

Gorilla
Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I think the bacon bits are made from GM soy unfortunately - that's why I stopped buying them although there may be other brands somewhere.

i used to love putting Bacos in pea soup but i stopped buying them because of the GM soya, too. i haven't seen anything else similar :(

cobweb
Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
i still use Bacos - also use the Jack Daniels smoky BBQ sauce which is marked suitable for vegans.

Gorilla
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
oh yes, i've tried the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce - i think it was too bitter and spicy for me :eek: