PDA

View Full Version : Cooking disasters!

Hemlock
Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Oh dear, I thought I would make seitan today.
I mistakenly thought vital wheat gluten = strong bread flour.
I appear to have made Satan instead:D
There are large lumps of what looks like floating turds in the saucepan of stock! I'm not sure if what i made is edible - we shall find out in an hour or so.
What is vital wheat gluten and can we get it here in the UK?

sugarmouse
Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Aww I hope it turns out ok!!! Not sure about Wheat gluten?!

bryzee86
Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
you can get it from www.flourbin.co.uk (but they have a min. order value of £10, with postage on top of that of £6.95 - works out at about £5 per kilo if you meet min.order)

I got mine (just one bag to try it out) directly from Claybrooke mill's on Ebay. Was about £8.68 for just under a kilo. damn expensive stuff over here.

Hemlock
Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Surprisingly the "turds' taste pretty good!!! I let them dry out on a rack after an hours boiling and then put them in the fridge over night and chopped them up into bite size chunks. They taste like a cross between dumplings and fake meat. I'll do them in a thai curry sauce later, they'll taste lovely!Trouble is we keep snacking on the chunks so they may not last long - the texture is lovely!

applepie
Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
You don't have to buy wheat gluten, you can make seitan out of ordinary flour. It's a bit more of an effort, but way cheaper.

pavotrouge
Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
it's such a lot of an effort and you can't really bake or steam seitan that you've made from flour.

my advice (again... I think I posted this a hundred time ^^) is to go to a good, old-fashioned bakery and ask for some Gluten flour.
Good bakery= one that does not use premade mixes.

That way, I got 2 kg for just a Euro or two last year.

sponge
Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Surprisingly the "turds' taste pretty good!!!

:D