PDA

View Full Version : quick question!

brendonnn
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
the soy butter i own has monoglycerides as an ingredient! I called the company but it took like 30 minutes and no one talked to me and I had to go.

it has the circled U meaning pareve on the front of it.

if there is a pareve symbol does that mean that the monoglycerides are vegetable derived?

brendonnn
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
i don't know if this is indicative of anything, but the consistency looks rather runny on top-would animal-derived monoglycerides solidify at room temperature?

Maisiepaisie
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure sorry. I prefer to stick to products that are properly labelled. I check it says vegetarian then check the allergy warning for dairy and eggs. What brand do you have? Perhaps someone will know if its vegan or not.

Mr Flibble
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Pareve has nothing to do with vegetarianism. The only link is that sometimes manufacturers make them vegetarian as a way of making them pareve, but when they do contain parve animal based ingredients you can be assured that they've bled to death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shechita#Animal_welfare_controversies).

Cherry
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hang on a minute...i think you're confusing the slaughtering rules with the other ones. I don't think it's possible to have Pareve meat! I'm fairly ignorant myself though!

To the best of my knowledge, Jewish people are forbidden from eating meat that has not been slaughtered in certain (horrible) ways! However, they are also forbidden from eating meat and dairy together. I thought Pareve meant that it WAS free from meat, dairy etc... so could be eaten with either meat or dairy, like 'neutral'. That would mean that Pareve things were free from meat and dairy, though eggs I think are Pareve so doesn't mean it's vegan.

brendonnn
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Pareve: "Prepared without meat, milk, or their derivatives and therefore permissible to be eaten with both meat and dairy dishes according to dietary laws"

since monoglycerides are derived normally from cows or pigs doesn't this mean that the monoglycerides are not animal derived?

the other ingredients are soy beans, soy bean oil, and salt.

Noogle
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I'd be happy enough with that, but if you're concerned, email the company.