PDA

View Full Version : What's vegan for chicken soup?

AnneCE
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I'm feeling poorly, got a virus, and wonder what to eat/drink? Can't have chicken soup, so what would people recommend?
Anne

bryzee86
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
vegetable soup! cabbages and their ilk have been used for centuries to cure colds. oh, and plenty of water!

harpy
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Miso soup is quite good and has the advantage of being available from a packet :o Garlic and ginger broth, if you can be bothered to make it, is thought by some people to be lethal to bugs, but can also have a rather drastic effect on the innards I find.

Hope you feel better soon, anyway.

Cherry
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Lentil soup :)

aubergine
Feb 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
When I'm feeling poorly I like chunky veg soups. Lots of vitamins and minerals and little spice to upset my fragile constitution.

xrodolfox
Feb 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have a vegetable broth soup; nice and salty, and I add alphabet style pasta pieces, and some tiny chunks of TVP and I let it simmer for a while until everything in the soup is tender.

It's kinda like "chicken" soup. Salty, water, simple carbs and some protein. I think it even tastes better than what I remember Campbell's chicken soup to taste.

AnneCE
Feb 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I had instant miso soup - I had it handy, and it was easier than making soup from scratch. Tomorrow, I think I will combine some ideas you have give me - a vegetable broth - with some pasta and TVP garlic and cabbage and a bit of chilli rather than ginger - I think spicy food is good when I need a boost.

bryzee86
Feb 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
yay. good old cabbage.

Cup'O'Tea
Feb 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yes, I was going to say miso as well. Like yogurt, sauerkraut, tempeh, pickled veg, etc - miso has active bacterial culture which will promote growth of good bacteria in the body, which might make you heal more easily? Plus I think it just tastes nice as an cruelty-free alternative to chicken noodle.

MillieAnne
Feb 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
May just be me.....but I love mashed sweet potatoes when I am sick. That with a lot of tea.

Cup'O'Tea
Feb 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM
May just be me.....but I love mashed sweet potatoes when I am sick. That with a lot of tea.
Yummmm. I had mashed sweet potatoes a couple times when I got my wisdom teeth out - it was good and one of the few filling things I could eat!
Not so sure about when I'm sick though - I just got onto sweet potatoes recently. If I happen to get sick, I'll try it!

angelamc
Feb 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I get vegan 'chicken' soup at Henry's market place. I think it's an Amy's brand soup. It's really tasty. If you can't find that, then I would go with miso.

ellaminnowpea
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ah! I did this yesterday only after a friend's mom cooked up a huge-ass batch of chicken noodle soup and offered it to me (knowing I'm vegan) saying, "you can have some, it's good... i won't tell anyone... you can pick the chicken out... its good!"

Anyway, I made lentil stew that was super good:
- low salt veggie stock
- water
- can of lentils
- spinach
- tomato
- spiral ww flax noodles
- stalk of celery

It was good and just about all I could eat with this cold.

JC
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:58 PM
you can get instant 'chicken' noodles from supermarkets if you like. they're so cheap they don't usually put any chicken in them! i really like the curry flavour noodles you get from Aldi, they're in my animal free shopper guide, so it's all good :)

Risker
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I like a cup of boullion