PDA

View Full Version : asian groceries in Wellington

jessica*
Feb 15th, 2008, 04:38 AM
It's probably too late to ask this for tomorrow, but if so I can still use the info later... I'm going to be in Wellington tomorrow. I don't get there very often, and I'm on a tight schedule. I want to run by an asian grocery to look for some vegan goods. I see online that there's a Yan's Supermarket on Hopper and a Hunyung Asian grocery on Cambridge Terrace. Is one bigger/better than the other? Is there another one?

Thanks for any advice!
Jessica

Roxy
Feb 15th, 2008, 05:25 AM
They're not grocery stores, but listed here, there's a couple of Asian style vegan friendly restaurants that might appeal to you:

http://www.happycow.net/australia/new_zealand/wellington/index.html

jessica*
Feb 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the link - I hear that Nature in Hutt and Aunty Mena's in Welly are the best places to eat.

In case it helps anyone in Welly, I went to Yan's Supermarket on Hopper St. - open until 7:30pm daily, and the place is huge. Got seaweed, sauces, silken tofu... Although it's a Chinese market mostly, they have a Japanese section. Lots of dried mushrooms of every variety, beans, noodles, rice of every description... Well pretty much just your large asian grocery. Forgive the gushing; I live a ways away, so stopping by was a treat. :D