PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Green Smoothie Recipe?

Pages : [1] 2

veganmary
Feb 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Mine is the Almond Fruit Smoothie. It’s amazing tasting…

Here’s the recipe:

3 leaves of kale
1 cup orange juice
1 cup frozen peaches
1 frozen banana, chunked
2 Tbs slivered toasted almonds

Add juice to electric blender, then add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.

To toast almonds, spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in 350F degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until almonds are light brown; stir once or twice to ensure even browning.

Note that almonds will continue to brown slightly after removing from oven.

What’s our favorite green smoothie recipe?

DreamIntoAction
Oct 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM
I make one using fresh Mint....

Juice of 1 whole Grapefruit (pulp included)
1 frozen Banana
Mint

I never measure the Mint.... usually just throw in a handful of the leaves.

I'll sometimes add a heaping tbsp. of Rice Protein Powder (NutriBiotic) to the mix as well -- either Vanilla or Mixed Berry flavor.

Kitteh
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
A big handful of baby spinach & 2 bananas. In summer I like to throw in a papaya or a mango.

Sarah_
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I cheat when I make these. I throw in Trader Joe's Green Juice and then add stuff from there. *shame*

Mr Flibble
Apr 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I recently had at a juice bar: apple juice, celery, spinach and cucumber. It was surprisingly nice.

I tried making it this morning with a handful spinach, 2 sticks celery and 1 inch of cucumber. It was drinkable but a bit too intense. Needs toning down a bit (less celery, slightly less spinach).

fiamma
Apr 12th, 2010, 10:58 AM
A big handful of baby spinach & 2 bananas. In summer I like to throw in a papaya or a mango.

A real classic!!! I'm not terribly adventurous, but this one always tastes good to me :) Sometimes I use chard instead of spinach, and normally put in tahini, flax oil or seeds, aloe vera juice... all manner of things. It's all good! :thumbsup:

cedarblue
Apr 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM

absolutely, fiamma, a classic.
i'm loving:
2 bananas
water
spinach
green grapes
either pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds - yummo! :bigsmile2:

Mr Flibble
Apr 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Less celery seemed to help.

How much spinach is 'standard' to use? I'm currently going with a handful. Does baby spinach make a big difference?

cedarblue
Apr 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
about a handful is right for me too - although i've seen some cram their blender with the stuff!!

twinkle toes
May 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
there's some nice sounding recipes here:
http://rawfamily.com/recipes.htm

still haven't tried any yet though as my blender still hasn't arrived from ebay yet grrrr

twinkle toes
May 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
it finally arrived! i did some experimenting yesterday, this was quite nice:

4 sticks of celery
2 bananas
1 avocado

i am going to copy your idea today cedarblue, pumpkin seeds sounds like a good addition to a smoothie yummm

rokchik
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
My ulitmate fave at the moment is Sergei Butenko's;

handful of kale
1 mango
1 celery stick
1 banana
handful ofstrawberries
splash of water to keep it moving

But I also add, spirulina/macca/Good Oil/coconut oil/hemp powder/ground flaxseed cos it's my breakfast as well :D

mmmorgans
Aug 24th, 2010, 02:55 AM
1 banana
1 peach or nectarine
5-6 strawberries
handful of spinach
large chunk of ginger
water

chestnut32
Aug 26th, 2010, 02:16 AM
This is not only a delicious smoothie, but a meal in itself.........1 ripe banana, 1 handful of sweet grapes, 1 handful of washed baby spinach (or other green leaf vegetable) and 1 glass of water.

Corum
Aug 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
A couple of handfuls of Sea Kale (picked locally) – or spinach,
half a dozen grapes
2 bananas
1 Avacado (I seem to be addicted to them at the moment!)
A bit of water

Lars
Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
I thought two bananas was over the top, but two nanas and an avo!? Are you a bodybuilder, that's one intense smoothie

khadagan
Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:24 AM
I tend to throw a banana in each smoothy I make for no reason apart from habit, like I start cooking with slchopping an onion! Im liking this thread though, I don't often go for the best flavour just try to ram in the most amount of fruit and veg that I can. Im now trying to make them a bit tastier since my 3-year old is getting pickier ;). I love the suggestions here!

khadagan
Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Slchopping=a special technique of a combination of slicing or chopping of an onion hehe just kidding just have difficulty typing sometimes :p

helgalush
Jan 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
A handful of spinach (or a smaller amount of kale or half and half)
1 avocado
1 pear
1 tablespoon of ground flaxeed
Half a 500ml tub of soya yoghurt
250mls water

Frozen Mixed Berries (optional)

Put it all in a blender and serve. It can be quite thick so sometimes its ok drank with a straw/out of a glass and sometimes you need a spoon!

Blueberries
Jan 7th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Wow, all of you are so creative! I would never have thought of putting any of the following into a smoothie: mint, toasted almonds, or avocado! I wonder would they all go well together :p

Fuhzy
Jan 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Ok I'm throwing mine in, cause we gotta keep this thread going! (maybe we could deal with some non-green smoothies too? :D)

Blueberry+ Morning Smoothie
1 banana
1 c blueberries (pref. frozen)
1 tb flaxseed
1/4 orange juice
1/4 apple juice
4 cups spinach (or more!)

You can also cut one of the juices and double the other, or leave the juices out entirely, but I find they add a nice flavor balance to the mix.

For those on the cheap, you can get back of frozen blueberries at the dollar store ($0.50/smoothie), flax seeds at a Vitamin Cottage ($0.05/smoothie), and everything else is pretty cheap at King Soopers or Wal-mart or wherever you go.

twinkle
Jan 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I tend to throw a banana in each smoothy I make for no reason apart from habit, like I start cooking with slchopping an onion! Im liking this thread though, I don't often go for the best flavour just try to ram in the most amount of fruit and veg that I can. Im now trying to make them a bit tastier since my 3-year old is getting pickier ;). I love the suggestions here!

I'm the same, with the banana and the onion! It feels wrong NOT to put them in! :D

CurrantCottage
Jan 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I've always fancied making smoothies - or juicing - and googled the subjects yesterday. So much info on both that I can't decide which is healthier - or if they're both the same. Any ideas? Smoothie makers/liquidisers seem to be cheaper than juicers so that may be the decision already made for me!

ElleV108
Jul 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I've just started playing around with green smoothies but I haven't found a favorite yet.. since this thread is kind of old I wanted to bump it to see if anyone has any new suggestions for what to try ? (I'm already going to try the banana, grape, spinach one for sure.. i'm intrigued by the idea of avocado so I think I'll pick one up after work today too!)

beachbum
Jul 21st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Here's what I make when I back home:
Cup of Water
4-5 ice cubes
Large handful of Spinach
Some Kale
A couple carrots
1 tomatoe
table spoon of maca
Large scoop of Sunwarrior protein powder
Scoop of ground flax seed
I wouldn't say it's as delicious as the ones above with fruit but it charges me up in the morning and starts the day off on the right foot...