PDA

View Full Version : Tescos

Pages : [1] 2 3

cornishdreadhead
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Are fucking rubbish. In fact all supermarkets are. How come they sell dairy free milk, dairy free spread, but NO DAIRY FREE CHEESE? :mad: Does anyone know why this is? In fact I might write to them. *Wields pen in aggressive fashion* :confused:

xwitchymagicx
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Probably because it isn't popular due to it being gross...well to me anyway. lol

Honest_Goodbye
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I went into my local tesco the other day, and the "Free from" section had gone. Not sure if it's just moved, but i couldn't find it, grr.

JC
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
dairy free cheese just isn't as popular as dairy free milks and spreads. once upon a time you could only get dairy free milk in health food stores, but as it became more popular, the supermarkets jumped on the band wagon. i think we all just need to make them aware that there is a demand for dairy free cheese, so writing to them is a really good idea, i'm definately going to! :D
p.s. tesco have started selling swedish glace now, but it's always out of stock in my local store - surely that tells them something about demand for it....!!!

aubergine
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I went into my local tesco the other day, and the "Free from" section had gone. Not sure if it's just moved, but i couldn't find it, grr.

My local (ish) Tescos both do this on a regular basis. It's always the free from section that gets forgotten or sidelined. How about cutting out the meat section for a change?

teaboy
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:19 AM
At the big Sainsbury's in Fulham last weekend all of their free-from cakes (Bakewells, jam tarts etc) were more than a month out of date. It shows how often anybody bothers to check the 'weirdos' section.

glitteryhelen
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
That's an interesting one. Here in London Cheezly was widely available in all 3 supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose a couple of years ago, but now they don't seem to stock it. I think there are several reasons for this. Firstly a lot of people may prefer to buy from their health food shop which means that demand is unpredictable. Supermarkets don't like this and with so many 'big brands' bringing out their so-called 'healthy eating' ranges they think this somehow fills the vegetarian/health food slot. Sainsburys are particularly bad. In fact even their staff are utterly frustrated by their stocking policy as it is not a local one. As far as I can understand from my conversations with customer services staff, product popularity is taken on sales nationally. My advice and plea (as in my thread about rice slice vegan) is to ask for products you want, politely, every time you go into a store that doesn't stock them. And also write to the head offices. The fact is that things are changing in our favour. 10 years ago most people wouldn't have even heard of the word 'vegan' and now it is relatively easy to find what we require. For instance, I used to carry soya milk with me everywhere so that I could have a cup of tea, but now thanks largely to Starbucks (and that may be a controversial view - but try to look at the bigger picture) soya milk is widely available in every coffee shop, hotel and even in motorway service stations. And it has shown retailers that there is a huge customer base for dairy free products. It's been a massive turnaround and one for which I am truly grateful.
So gentle persuasion of these big companies by continually asking for the products we want is what will ultimately make the difference.
Hope some 'cheese' reaches your area soon, and in the meantime please read my Rice Slice Vegan thread and ask for that as well. :)

aubergine
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Here in London Cheezly was widely available in all 3 supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose a couple of years ago, but now they don't seem to stock it.

My local Sainsbury's used to stock a good range of Vegan stuff in it's fresh chiller. Burgers and so on. About eighteen months ago this changed to a much larger chiller stocked only with Quorn and the non-Vegan Cauldron lines. They never appear to sell much of it and I guess to the managers they'll assume there's no demand for alternative food products. If you try and suggest what might be a good seller you are met with stunned silence.

Most disappointing.

At least there's mail order :rolleyes:

yum
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I prefer to go to sainsburys now rather than tesco because of their labelling and because sainsburys has more flavours of swedish glace :p
However, i'm confused by supermarkets labelling of vegan sicne sainsburys do not label things vegan which from the ingredients look to be vega. Also both tesco and sainsburys label soem of their washing powder, washing up liquid etc as not tested animals and some not, which i do not understand. Sainsburys say something along the lines of how they do not support animal testing- but this is only labelled on soem of their products. This inconsistancy bothers me! I must write to them i think!!

Paranoid Jandroid
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Our local Morrisons had cheezly the other day! it was very exciting.

I dig the labeling at sainsbury's but have also noticed the inconsistency on things that seem vegan but aren't labeled that way.

I found vegan parma in the 'free from' sections at Mrrisons as well - pretty exciting for me since back in NZ we used to order it from food fight in the states!

pixeequeen
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a tescos I was in the other day that had one measly freezer for veggie food, and TWO for purely YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS!!! Speaks volumes, though admittedly it did make me giggle, who'd have thought there was such a demand for frozen yorkshire puddings!

Paulski
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
There is somethign weirdly funny whilst excruciatingly annoying about that pixiequeen! Especially as Yorkshire puddings can be quite easily made at home, but then it's all about what sells innit - Tesco certainly ain't a charity.

But at the same time I have to agree with JC: even over the course of time I've been vegan (which reminds me - why do I keep seeing people writing v*gan on here?) the ease in getting hold of vegan products has improved dramatically. Own brand (and therefore cheap) soya milk would have been a thing of dreams in the late 90s and early 00s, yet there it is being lapped up (excuse the pun) by the Great British public in their droves today. However I put this mainly down to our health-conscious times than to ethical development.

absentmindedfan
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
which reminds me - why do I keep seeing people writing v*gan on here?

v*gan can be vegan or vegetarian. For instance I have been vegan for 3 years and was veggie for 10 before that, so I have been v*gan for 13 years.

cornishdreadhead
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Our local Morrisons had cheezly the other day! it was very exciting.

:D That's the sweetest thing I've read all day. I tend to get excited over things like that as well. :o

cornishdreadhead
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Firstly a lot of people may prefer to buy from their health food shop which means that demand is unpredictable.

You've got a point there actually, even if cheezley was stocked in tesco's, they probably wouldn't have the varieties of flavours they have in health food shops...also you still wouldn't be able to get all the lovely vegan "meats" that you find in health food shoops!
I don't know what my point is here, but, um... :rolleyes:

puffin
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
They have cheezly in the tesco near me but it is only the cheddar style, better then nothing though.

Paulski
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
v*gan can be vegan or vegetarian. For instance I have been vegan for 3 years and was veggie for 10 before that, so I have been v*gan for 13 years.

Cheers for that, been bugging me a while. And an example to illustrate your point too, how generous! :)

celtic rose
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
They have cheezly in the tesco near me but it is only the cheddar style, better then nothing though.
It's in my local Tescos too, as well as soy yogurt, soy milk, soy cream, soy icecream, even rice milk too.

absentmindedfan
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Cheers for that, been bugging me a while. And an example to illustrate your point too, how generous! :)

I'm a teacher, I can't help but give examples :(

Paulski
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Why the frown? Teaching is a most excellent profession.

absentmindedfan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
It creeps into my everyday life, I'm like a teacher 24 hrs a day

!!
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
My local Sainsbury's used to stock a good range of Vegan stuff in it's fresh chiller. Burgers and so on. About eighteen months ago this changed to a much larger chiller stocked only with Quorn and the non-Vegan Cauldron lines. They never appear to sell much of it and I guess to the managers they'll assume there's no demand for alternative food products. If you try and suggest what might be a good seller you are met with stunned silence.

Most disappointing.

At least there's mail order :rolleyes:

Exactly the same thing happened in the Sainsbury's near me. They replaced vegan falafel with falafel with honey in. eeeer? I used to buy mountains of the stuff, but no longer... I have to go accross town to Tesco instead!

And the explosion in Quorn products is astounding :confused:

Pob
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Surely it should be veg*n, as vegetarian doesn't end in "gan".

Paulski
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Okay

Mzee
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
How come they sell dairy free milk, but :confused:

I screamed inwardly today when I visited Tesco and saw they were selling 'lactose free milk'. That's really going to confuse people; they'll think they are buying dairy free 'milk', then they'll get home and read the small print and realise they've just bought cow's milk that's been treated with lactase enzyme to break down the lactose. The dairy industry will stop at nothing to keep people with lactose intolerance from switching to the healthy alternative plant 'milks'.:mad: