PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Trip

Pages : [1] 2

emzy1985
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Me and Emily are going on a week trip to Scotland in August. We are staying in a little eco cottage on Loch Ness.

Any tips of where to eat and what to do vegan wise in the area. I hear Inverness is quite near too but cannot find anything there.

Cheers,

Emzy:)

AnneCE
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Emzy, this thread might be of interest: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17556

Inverness isn't great for vegans but as a frequent visitor there, I can recommend the following shops:
the health food shop on Baron Taylor Street
the co-op on Church Street
and there is a Holland and Barrett's on Eastgate (near Poundland!)

I don't eat out there much but there is a Thai restaurant, Lanna Thai, which is good and understands what vegan is: http://www.thaifood-scotland.com/

Hope that helps!

Anne

emzy1985
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that AnneCE! I'll take alooK!

emzy1985
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ok just had a look at the menu there....alot of seafood. I am pretty fucking allergic to seafood. Are they pretty good there? Do they cook the veg stuff seperately? Quite a few good looking dishes though so seems a shame to waste it.....

Reidindeed
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I live not too far from Inverness and have been to the Luna Thai in my non-vegan past. The waitresses were really cool and the chef came out to our table and pretty much invented a dish on the spot for my friend who was just being fussy! I think if you explain that you're vegan and allergic to the swimmy stuff they will do their best to make you something good.

I hope you guys enjoy your trip up here. I have to say, eating out is a bit of a pain in the ass if you are looking for anything nutritious, but the scenery and chilled out atmosphere will make up for it, if thats what your looking for!

:)

Roxy
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I hope you have a great holiday Emzy! I'd love to visit Scotland some day :)

emzy1985
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
We are going up there to get away from the hustle so to speak. Emily will work on her dissertation (sp?) and so some paintings no doubt and no doubt we will both go on long walks/hikes.
The eco lodge where we are staying does Breakfast and Dinner but we have only booked breakfast at the moment because of the money situation. Although I would be looking at having dinner there too if we have money then. The only thing we will have to worry about is lunch and I am already dead set on taking a little cool box with some goodies in it and maybe some vegan pot noodle type things (obviously not pot noodle cuz unilever suck!!!)

I have never been to Scotland before and I think it will be a truely memorable trip!!

cobweb
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hope you have a lovely time there!.

There's a huge shortage of vegan friendly eating places in the North of Scotland - maybe you could ask ahead though in your nearest pub/restaurant and see what they can do.
As has been said, Inverness does have health food shops and a large Tesco so you might be better off making your own meals (will you have cooking facilities there?).
The battlefield at Culloden is well worth a trip, and Loch Ness itself is stunning.
If you have transport whilst away there's also the Black Isle, a peninsula near Inverness which is very pretty. Fairy Glen is a lovely place to walk there, and there are some nice beaches in the area. Elgin is a nice town, too, not too far away.
Mind you if you just want to chill out you are going to the right place and may not want to travel about.

cobweb
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM
p.s - you may want to get some Neem Oil to scare away the ubiquitous Highland Midges! :D

emzy1985
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
p.s - you may want to get some Neem Oil to scare away the ubiquitous Highland Midges! :D

Thanks for that! Local knowledge rocks!

I think we will just be sticking aorund Loch Ness to be honest with a day trip to Inverness at some point during the trip. If we like it, which I'm sure we will, we will be going up more often. The eco lodge is more like a B&B than a lodge so we don't have cooking facilities as such.

cobweb
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM
i see - well if you like it in Scotland you should come to Orkney someday - far less Midges, loads of historical sites and some great little shops! (also lots of wind and Sheep - oh, and my gigantic man eating Hare that lollops round the field next to my window! :D)

emzy1985
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
i see - well if you like it in Scotland you should come to Orkney someday - far less Midges, loads of historical sites and some great little shops! (also lots of wind and Sheep - oh, and my gigantic man eating Hare that lollops round the field next to my window! :D)

I've heard about that hare lol! Well if I ever get a new job I plan on travelling the UK as it is something I have wanted to do all my life. I've done most of Europe and north Africa. I won't venture any further because of the flying. Orkney is definately on my list of places to go!!

gogs67
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for that! Local knowledge rocks!

I think we will just be sticking aorund Loch Ness to be honest with a day trip to Inverness at some point during the trip. If we like it, which I'm sure we will, we will be going up more often. The eco lodge is more like a B&B than a lodge so we don't have cooking facilities as such.
Honestly,don't take the warnings about midges lightly.I have heard of studies showing concentrations of half a million per square meter!:eek:August time round water,lol,they could literally ruin your trip if you're not prepared.Get yourself a head net and some kind of repellent,Neem,as mentioned before or a Citronella or Eucalyptus based one!
I remember camping one time without the above precautions and gave up counting the bites on one arm alone when i got to 150!:D

cobweb
Mar 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
he-he, Gogs, they don't like me, i never get bitten but my husband who has pale skin and red hair gets eaten alive if he just steps outside!

cobweb
Mar 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've heard about that hare lol! Well if I ever get a new job I plan on travelling the UK as it is something I have wanted to do all my life. I've done most of Europe and north Africa. I won't venture any further because of the flying. Orkney is definately on my list of places to go!!

i always wanted to see the whole of the U.K - in the end i did it by moving around so much! :D
i started off in South Cornwall and ended up in Orkney :cool:
Orkney is great and i can get loads of vegan supplies here :)

emzy1985
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
So where can I find this midge repellent stuff?

bryzee86
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
ooh we were looking at going Scotland in August! But now we're getting married instead

emzy1985
Mar 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
ooh we were looking at going Scotland in August! But now we're getting married instead

All I can say is :p

emzy1985
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
My life changing trip to Scotland!

I started my drive on a lovely hot and sunny day. I already had plans to stop off at Liverpool where my "big sister" lives and go to Manchester Pride. Liverpool is about 250miles from me which is roughly 3hours at my pace.

Anyway pride was fantastic. I saw lotsa yummy girls, danced around to ABBA tribute bands and brought loads cool gay stuff...which unfortunately I lost somewhere before the day was out.

The next day I got up early and said goodbye to my friends. It was raining really heavy and was very windy on those 450miles of highland roads. You could barely see anything. I took regular breaks and was amazed at the small hills that had started to rise around me. Where I live it is totally flat!

When I finally pulled into the B&B almost 7 hours after I set off the owner, Fiona, was so welcomming. She showed me my room and round the house. She even told me the first place I should go. I charged my phone in my room and stuck my walking boots on. I trekked down the road abit and the first thing I noticed was that all I could hear were the birds cheeping. No cars, no people....NOTHING! It was beautiful....oh btw the B&B was on the side of Loch Ness. :smile: So I start walking down this track and find this little peir jutting out into the gloomy black waters. I went and sat on it for hours on end during my trip but the view was amazing and sent pulses of good energy through me.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P250808_1654.jpg

I have always been scared of being alone and since breaking up with Emily I have had to face the hard truth of this. I saw the track ahead of me and picked up a large walking stick. I kept looking all around me to make sure noone was in the trees or following me. Then all of a sudden two red squirrels run out in front of me, look at me as if to say, " what are you doing in my wood?" and then ran off. Calmed me down alot. Then out of nowhere a stagg and a couple of deer ran out right infront of me. I have never seen live wild deer before. I felt so safe and welcome in the forest I stayed there for a while. When I finally climbed the hill toget out the otherside I was in a self inspired state of euphoria. I had changed right there and then. I was no longer depression ridden Emz....I was someone new and the changes didn't stop there.

For the rest of the holiday I did everything alone and loved it. I climbed the Nevis Range and drank fresh spring water. I saw castles and took a cruise on the Loch. I even went to ancient burial grounds and loved every single second. All the while eating a great vegan breakfast everyday! I even got myself a new tattoo whilst I was there!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P260808_0803.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P260808_0816.jpg
On my last night another couple were staying at the B&B and turned out they were vegan too. Over a wonderful dinner we chatted constantly...which is why I have no pics of my food! http://veganrepresent.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif We even went down to my little pier and watched the sun set. So dark and with no light pollution.

Leaving was very emotional. I cried and hugged Fiona. She was wonderful and so was her husband!

I stopped off in Liverpool again on the way back and gor roped into going to Merseyside Animal Rights punk gig fundraiser. Can you believe the city council even gave them a grant??? What is that? Anyway had a wikked time there eating banana cake and jumping around.
The next day I called an old friend and we met up for a walk in the countryside around Liverpool where we saw:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P300808_154701.jpg
To cut a long story short I plucked up the courage in my new found self and kissed him, which ofcourse he was not expecting, me being the big lesbian and all. To cut a long story short....we ended up making love and it was the weirdest and most spontanious thing ever.

I get back and now I like guys too! Wow! I feel so free in myself...I can do what I want now and don't have to hide it!

So on a follow up to that I had a date with a guy yesterday! :D

(No omni trouble and no hassle my entire trip! Loved it!)

emzy1985
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:50 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P260808_1601.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P270808_1027.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P250808_1655.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P280808_1339.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/she_saw_me_naked_6969/P270808_1519.jpg

Gorilla
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
lovely photos Emzy - so glad you had a good time :)

fiamma
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Wow Emzy, you and your pictures are so beautiful! It's amazing what a holiday alone can do for the soul, and in a place as stunning as Scotland...

I'm really sorry about your breakup, but it sounds like things took a very pleasant turn in any case :)

Glad you had such a good time.

puffin
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
It looks lovely there. Great story and great pics :)

harpy
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Looks and sounds like quite a trip - well done emzy!

vava
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I think I see Kevin Costner at the bottom of that waterfall - nakey!:o