PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus

Roxy
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I bought a bunch of asparagus and I've no idea what to do with it. I've never cooked it before.

I have tasted it before, and didn't particularly like it, so I thought I'd give it another go.

Does anyone have any simple, favourite recipes for asparagus? I know how to google "asparagus recipes", but I'm wondering what tried and tested recipes you guys like.

harpy
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I don't usually do anything to it except cook it lightly and serve with vinaigrette, or just freshly squeezed lemon juice.

To cook it
1) Wash gently
2) Cut or break off the woody ends - usually just an inch or two, but more if it's not very fresh

and then EITHER

3a) Prop it in a saucepan of water somehow so that the bottoms are in water but the tips aren't. Put the lid on and boil the water for a few minutes so that bottoms get boiled and the tops are just steamed , OR
3b) Wrap in foil and bake in a medium oven for 15 mins or so until just tender.

Yum! Pity Vancouver is a bit far for me to come and collect it if you still don't like it ;)

animaladvocate
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Coat them in oil and roast them for approx 10 minutes then turn them over and roast for another 10 minutes then sprinkle with lots and lots of nutirional yeast flakes and roast for another 5 minutes-delicious!

Roxy
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
LOL! Well, we have organic asparagus on sale in my department right now, so I grabbed a nice fresh bunch when it came in :)

I'm not too keen on the boiling idea, but the baking idea sounds nice, harpy. Thanks very much :) I don't have any lemons handy, but I have some limes. I wonder if that would work. What kind of vinaigrette do you use?

harpy
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I just make the vinaigrette with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. I imagine asparagus would be nice with lime juice although I haven't tried it.

Asparagus isn't in season here for another month or two, alas.

fondducoeur
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM
My boyfriend puts lime juice on his, but I have not tried it. It sounds good though:) Although the roasting with oil and eating with nutritional yeast sounds good too.

auntierozzi
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Steaming is a really good way to prepare them too. Vinaigrette and crusty bread are also my favourite additions.

Roxy
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I'm going to try baking some spears....Maybe a couple with lime juice, a couple with nutritional yeast and a couple with viniagrette lol.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

cedarblue
Mar 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
i griddle mine with oil then maybe salt & pepper it to eat.

emmapresley
Mar 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
i like the idea of roasting them with nutritional yeast :)

hope you enjoy them roxy!

i love asparagus..it makes your wee smell funny..odd that..yet strangely intriguing :o

piggy
Mar 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
i like them fried with lotsa salt

Korn
Mar 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
They're good with some garlic and tamari (soy sauce), stir-fried...

Roxy
Mar 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM
Lots of suggestions to try here! :D It's a good thing I've got lots left.

I used animaladvocate's idea for my first attempt. Thanks animaladvocate :)

So I roasted them in olive oil at 180 celcius. I turned them after 10 minutes, and gave them another 10 minutes and then tossed them in some Parma (vegan parmesan). The Parma is basically nutritional yeast, crushed walnuts and salt. After tossing them in the Parma, I gave them another 10 minutes in the oven.

The result.......

MAGNIFICENT!! :D

I'm so glad I gave asparagus another chance. Yummy!

Risker
Mar 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Glad you enjoyed them.

A good way to remove the woody part of asparagus is to hold each end of a stem in your hands and bend it, it should naturally break at the point where the woody bit ends. (save the woody bit for use in soup)

I griddled some the other day with some chilli flakes, that was nice, I generally cook it by steaming though and then drizzle with olive oil.

Roxy
Mar 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Ooo that's a good tip risker. Thanks for that :)

When you guys say griddle, do you mean that you cook them in a fry pan?

Risker
Mar 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
I mean a frying pan with ridges in it, like this

http://www.yeschef-cookware.co.uk/images/uploads/11831501.jpg

rantipole
Mar 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
I eat asparagus in many differnt ways. It's one of my favorite veggies.

Roasted is probably my favorite way to making it. I use olive oil with a Mediterranean salt and herb blend added. I roast for 15-20 minutes. When I take it out, I dribble some fresh lemon juice over it.

Sometimes I steam some asparagus and them pour some Annie's Goddess Dressing on it.

I really love to stir fry asparagus. I use garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, and tumeric in the stir fry and than use whatever other vegetables I have handy. Mushrooms and bell peppers work really well.

I'll have to try the nutritional yeast variation.

Cheers,
rant