PDA

View Full Version : Anyone exercise at home?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

DiaShel
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I rarely exercise at home. I go to gym. I'm no good at motivating myself. I need a class instructor to do it for me- I'm too lazy otherwise. It works. I go 6 times a week!!;)

I'm the same way, I love work out classes, I just finished a weight lifting class and I'm soo going to feel it tomorrow. If I can't get to a class I work out at home (if my roommate is gone) to Advanced Tae-bo video. It's the only workout DVD that's ever been challenging enough, though now it's gotten easy. I think machines are the most boring things in the world though and avoid them at all costs.

ellaminnowpea
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
The only exercise I can do consistently is at home. I do a lot of random stuff with back therapy, yoga, ballet, pilates, etc. Other than that, if I'm well, I'll head to the gym to use the elliptical machine. I would love to be able to run and not pay for gym memberships but my joints can't handle it. I often can't even do the cardio because I'm sick, so yoga is the main thing I do now to keep my flexibility and minimal muscle tone/ strength.

Marrers
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:36 AM
. . yoga or pilates at home . . . I would prefer a teacher to make sure I'm having good posture, etc.
Me too, because I have scoliosis but I'm also a perfectionist. :o

I reckon once I've mastered the postures I could do it at home but I've tried several yoga classes where the teachers weren't great at individual help and also did one to one pilates sessions for a while but the teacher was always really late and too interested in chatting so I stopped going.

Kitteh
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hmm, I like to do more of my stretching at home. I also do some yoga and some of the Tibetan Rites poses as well.

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week for atleast an hour. I walk on the treadmill, quite fast and on an incline and then I hop on the stationary bike. I'll do weights, mostly arms, using the machines and some for abs and I'll do squats w/ a fitness ball behind my back against a wall.

I also cycle twice a week, unless the weather is awful, then I'll gym instead or not do anything.

I've just ordred a skipping rope from ebay, hope it arrives soon, for arvos/evenings when I get home and can't drag myself to the gym.

Fuhzy
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Here is a link with about a million exercises you can do (mostly) without weights...

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15833023&an=0&page=0

gogs67
Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Here is a link with about a million exercises you can do (mostly) without weights...

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15833023&an=0&page=0

Excellent site!

august
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I use hand weights, do yoga and walk/slow jog for exercise. I'm considering getting another bike. The time spent going to and from the gym was always the main reason I never made it there regularly. I doubt I'll ever have another gym membership. I'm rather happy exercising at home and I love going for walks with my dog and getting fresh air. I do miss the tennis court at my old gym.
----
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthrea...23&an=0&page=0 (http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15833023&an=0&page=0)

great link- thanks!

Healthy
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
I've been doing yoga and light weights at home for over 20 years.

Over the years, occasionally I'd take a dance class, yoga classes, join a gym ... but none of that lasted as long becaue it's just not me.

Home is best because I can be consistent. It's part of my day. I get up, meditate and do my yoga/light weights. This routine is even for weekends and vacations ... I can't function unless my day starts like that :)

Of course I go swimming, go out dancing, go for walks, bike ride, hike, etc. also.

heat13
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Anymore,lol? Every thread i see about exercise and it's always 'Oh i must get to the gym tonight' and then there's the guilt if a gym day's missed out.It's easy enough to get a routine to do at home as well (and saves a fortune ;)) and you can fit it in whenever you want!
Pushups are obviously easy to do whenever/wherever with varying distance between your hands to work various upper body back/arms/chest muscles!
2 x 10kg weights that can be adjusted are great for biceps curls and working triceps,or take most of the weights off and just box with them, a very efficient exercise.Also hold them and step up and down onto a seat or do squats, great for quads,calfs,gluteus
Sit ups, again various types, can be done anywhere/anytime.
A chin up bar for £7 can be fitted in a door frame and 10 or 15 pull ups done every time you walk past. Great for the arms,back and stomach.
Dips can be done using a chair behind you or for full body weight, anywhere that your arms can reach either side of you like the corner of a kitchen worktop.
A skipping rope for cardio and a local park if you're into yer 5 mile runs and there you go!:D
Watch folks, gyms become highly addictive and i've seen people actually get depressed by missing a day so even if you can't stop going at least have a back up plan at home with some of these mentioned so you don't lose out on your endorphin rush!;)

I use to think I HAD to go to the gym to get a good workout. But my sister is now an in-home personal trainer and she had given me lots of wonderful workouts to do at home! Lots of push-ups and plank poses, lunges, dips, etc. You don't need much equiptment at all. I picked up a "step" at a yard sale as well as a stationary bike. And you do short bursts of cardio in between circuits to keep your heart rate up. I love it and I actually feel like I have more energy than before! Plus the workouts are funner and much more variety than lifting weights at the gym. If anyone is interested, I can give you some sample workouts that are so much fun!

heat13
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Great link- thanks for sharing

blue-y
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I do alot of walking usually- about 2.5 hours in the county up and down hills - also i own a Xtrainer and use that for high intensity.

i own some wieghts too - only 3kg and less tho. Yet i cant say ive been organised into using them just yet and i own a mat too lol.

Ive gained weight from depression and other things and trying to organise eating a healthier vegan way and exerciseing too.

good thread.

heat13
Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
I do alot of walking usually- about 2.5 hours in the county up and down hills - also i own a Xtrainer and use that for high intensity.

i own some wieghts too - only 3kg and less tho. Yet i cant say ive been organised into using them just yet and i own a mat too lol.

Ive gained weight from depression and other things and trying to organise eating a healthier vegan way and exerciseing too.

good thread.

Blue-y, your avatar is TOO CUTE:D

Hemlock
Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
No, I'm not disciplined enough. Corum and I are off to the beach later for a long bike ride. The good thing about exercising outside is that however tired you are you can't stop because you somehow have to get home again:)

blue-y
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Blue-y, your avatar is TOO CUTE:D
I cant take credit - funny what ya cna find in google ; )

The good thing about exercising outside is that however tired you are you can't stop because you somehow have to get home again:)

Thats my routine/motto too!

karenann33
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I have a gym membership mainly because it has a nursery (hard to work out with 3 kids) and a pool plus we get it as a perk from dh's work. But I do like to work out at home too. I have some dvd's and a ball. I also take taekwondo classes 2-4 days a week. THAT is like boot camp!

puffin
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Yes i do. I have a dance mat :o and i have weights.
I do exercise at the gym because i work in one but i do like the privacy of my own house.

powder
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I regularly use PowerBlocks (http://www.powerblock.com/blocks.html) at home, along with a balance ball (http://www.gaiam.com/product/fitness-center/exercise-balls/kits-equipment/total+body+balanceball+kit.do) for sit-ups and decline push-ups (and of course I look exactly like the person depicted in the photo at that second link.... okay, not).

BJJNick
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I rarely work out at home. When there's nothing good on TV. :o)

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
i do yoga at home if that counts :confused:

I do Yoga at home, Iyengar and Ying styles. Does dancing around to music when dusting count?:p

ellaminnowpea
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I do yoga at home, too. Dancing definitely counts. :)

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
I do yoga at home, too. Dancing definitely counts. :)

Yes! Yes! Yes!:thumbsup:

babystace
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
I do!! I do most of the things you mentioned like jumping rope or working with dumbbells and leg weights. But I still like the gym too because they have a treadmill and I don't, lol! I like to run but not outside. Treadmills save my knees!!!!!

squigaletta
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
I used to skip (jumprope) at home, but now I live on a top floor flat I don't think it would be very appreciated by the people living below :). I like the gym for classes, I always push myself harder than I do on my own, and they teach me some moves I can use on my own later. I also don't like running coz of my joints, so I like to use a cross trainer instead. So my home is pretty inactive at the moment, but that will hopefully change when I move out of this flat.

shiny2008
Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, on my treadmill, and also YOGA.

Penny
Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
If anyone is interested, I can give you some sample workouts that are so much fun!

Yes, please!

I walk the dogs, go up and down the stairs quite a bit and am going to get my daughter to lend me her Hairspray soundtrack CD so I can dance around to it. I reckon that should help me to lose some pounds. :satisfied: I'm slimmer than the wee girl in the film, so if she could do all that energetic dancing, surely I can? (But I'm nearly 50 years older....Hmmm.....)