PDA

View Full Version : mac and cheese

sunrisesunset
Mar 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I bought Roads end organic mac and chreese alfredo style for the first time and tried it today. to my surprise it was absolutely terrible, even not edible. it had a very grainy texture like i was eating sand. it smelt delicious, but the taste was awful. has anyone else tried this? did i do something wrong? are the cheddar macs better? what other brands can i try? thanks.
http://www.chreese.com/images/mac&chreese_line.gif

harpy
Mar 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I have tried one of those and thought it was OK - not grainy but perhaps a bit slimy. I can't remember which variety it was but the red one looks familiar.

You can make a reasonable "cheese" type sauce yourself by making a white sauce with oil, flour and soy milk and then adding nutritional yeast and seasonings. There are people here who are are better at this sort of thing than I am so I'll leave it to them to explain the details :D

JC
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM
free and easy do a nice cheese flavour sauce mix. you just make it up with soya milk. you could try that and just add cooked pasta to it?

animaladvocate
Mar 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
one and a half cups of soya milk
a third of a cup of soya sauce
one and a half cups of nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 crushed garlic clove
half a block of firm tofu
half a cup of oil
2 teaspoons of vegan margarine
a small dollop of mustard

whizz up in an electric belender, pour over cooked pasta and bake uncovered in oven for approx 20 mins until golden brown

howdawg
Mar 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I've had the same problems with that stuff.. Eww..!!

Christoph83
Mar 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
BEST BAKED MAC & CHEESE RECIPE

8 oz. pasta (1/2 of a normal bag of pasta, which are usually 16 oz.)

2 tb. Vegan Margeraine

2 tb. A/P Flour (or oat flour)

1 cup Rice Milk (plain)

1 tb. Nutritional Yeast

1 tsp. Sea Salt

1/2 block Chedder style Vegan Gourmet cheese - shredded (can be purchased at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Kroger Signiture, H.E.B. Central Market, etc.)

Bread Crumbs or more nutritional yeast

Directions:

Place margeraine in pot and heat until metled. Stir in flour. When it turns a golden colour add Rice Milk slowly. Wisk until smooth. Next add nutritional yeast and sea salt. Wisk until smooth. Add the vegan cheese. Heat until melted and smooth. Stir often.

Place cooked noodles in a small lightly buttered (with vegan margeraine of course) casarole dish. Pour sauce over noodles. Top with bread crumbs, or nutrional yeast, or both. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Enjoy!

RubyDuby
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I bought Roads end organic mac and chreese alfredo style for the first time and tried it today. to my surprise it was absolutely terrible, even not edible. it had a very grainy texture like i was eating sand. it smelt delicious, but the taste was awful. has anyone else tried this? did i do something wrong? are the cheddar macs better? what other brands can i try? thanks.

u didnt do anything wrong. i dont like it either. tastes like garlicky grass. it bothers me cuz i know omnis will taste it and decide we're all nuts. :rolleyes:

missbettie
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I liked it....hmm maybe I got a different flavor? But its not really worth the price...hmmmm

RubyDuby
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
weirdo :p
(i've only tried the reg mac n chrees... not the alfredo)

missbettie
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
lol yes I am!! ya thats the one I had...course...I covered it in ketchup...hmm lol

Christoph83
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
lol yes I am!! ya thats the one I had...course...I covered it in ketchup...hmm lol

Ketchup on Mac & Cheese is yummy!... *drools*

howdawg
Mar 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Eww ketchup!! Maaaybee on fried potatoes..

gogs67
Mar 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Are they 'cheese' sauces or different flavours of sliced 'cheese?

harpy
Mar 26th, 2008, 10:56 PM
In the box you get a sort of kit, with dry pasta plus a bag of powder to make the sauce, IIRC.

Making your own sauce is definitely a better plan, but at the same time it's quite nice (in theory) that vegans can get convenience food too :o

Roxy
Mar 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM

I can't remember which one I tried....but like the others, I thought it was gross too!

gogs67
Mar 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
In the box you get a sort of kit, with dry pasta plus a bag of powder to make the sauce, IIRC.

Making your own sauce is definitely a better plan, but at the same time it's quite nice (in theory) that vegans can get convenience food too :o
Thanks!
Must admit, i've bought 'cheese' sauce powder before from the states and found it almost inedible! Wast of money sadly, far better to make your own!

samariah
Sep 18th, 2008, 12:21 AM
hah am i the only one that likes it? i had the cheddar style for dinner. i admit i did add extra tahini, mustard and garlic for more flavor though.

matt35mm
Sep 18th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I don't like it straight up, but a few days ago I tried mixing the alfredo sauce with a lot of veganaise and Earth Balance, and a bit of garlic. I shared it with some friends (one of whom didn't even know that it was vegan), and they all said they really liked it.

samariah
Sep 18th, 2008, 05:28 AM
yeah i think its good to mix with things. i have a hard time finding nutritional yeast around as well so if i get a random desire for mac and cheese i can get this as a base and then jazz it up.

Gorilla
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
the only one i've seen for sale in the UK is the Shells n' Chreese and i have to say i love the stuff :D i make it with rice milk, add a little vegan margarine and add a few mixed vegetables to the sauce while it's cooking. i think it makes a really nice quick meal.