PDA

View Full Version : Hand care

Aradia
Mar 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm getting hands like an old navvy!!

It's my own fault as I won't wear gloves for anything but the heaviest garden work. I love the feel of earth on my fingers, weather it's dry and loamy, or wet and heavy.

Do you have any hand care tips to share? I have some aqueous cream but I always forget to put it on before I get into the garden. I rub in hand cream whenever I remember - but not often enough. I need an intensive treatment or summat. Hayelp!

Marrers
Mar 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I have no advice, I never bother to do anything with my hands! I rarely wear gloves either and dislike handcream so mine are probably worse than yours!

To delay her hands ageing my friend always puts moisturiser with sun protection factor on her hands as well as her face and neck before leaving the house, even in winter.

RedWellies
Mar 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I use Jason chamomile hand and body therapy cream on my hands. If you apply hand cream before you go to sleep at night, it'll have all night to soak in. Be careful what you wash your hands with. Some soaps are very drying. I use a Jason one.

emmapresley
Mar 25th, 2008, 11:37 PM
yaoh moisturisers are great..papaya one is extra great aradia

http://www.gvtc.co.uk/yaoh/moisturiserpapaya.html

Mzee
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
My sympathies to all of you! We men of course have exactly the same problem, but some of the moisturisers / hand creams seem not to be formulated with us in mind. :(

Also, of course, most that are available contain animal products, especially lanolin.
I've been using Avalon Organics Hand & Body Lotion Lemon and Ord River Tea Tree hand & body lotion, but they're not very effective. Most of the time I use Emulsifying Ointment - 500g tub from Boots, applied at night, but my hands are still so cracked they're really painful this time of the year. I wear rubber gloves when washing up, work gloves at work or in the garden. I use Ecover hand soap (liquid) or Tesco Pure vegetarian soap.

Roll on Summer!

cobweb
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
mzee i get chapped hands, too - hurts, doesn't it?

i'm using 'faith in nature' restorative hand lotion at the moment, combined with using hemp oil once a day also and mine are relatively good.

maikeru
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I use Ecover hand soap (liquid)

The really lavendery one? I find that one to be too lavendery.

Whereas for moisturizing I have a JASON aloe vera one which seems fine and manly to me.

Michael.

Mzee
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks, cobweb!
I'll look for it. If it works in the Orkney winter, it should really work down here in 'mild' Somerset! :)

howdawg
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Washing daily with Howard's Vegan Soap is a big help :)

Mzee
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM
The really lavendery one? I find that one to be too lavendery.

Whereas for moisturizing I have a JASON aloe vera one which seems fine and manly to me.

Michael.

It says Lavender and Aloe vera, but I don't notice much smell. Maybe if I washed my face with it I'd notice it more! Where did you buy the Jason one?

howdawg, where did you buy Howard's vegan soap?

doh! It's on your profile of course! Not available in the UK, though? :mad:

howdawg
Mar 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Mzee.. I do ship to the UK.. just charge actual shipping.. :) I can't remember the cost, but I can get it for you if you'd like.. and the website is http://www.howardsvegansoap.com :)

maikeru
Mar 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM
It says Lavender and Aloe vera, but I don't notice much smell. Maybe if I washed my face with it I'd notice it more! Where did you buy the Jason one?

Maybe I just got a bottle where the lavender mixer-inerer went mad?

Not sure where I got the Jason one, somewhere around London though. I think it was possibly either Fresh & Wild in Soho or an independent store in Sutton. There is also the Thursday Plantation one you can get in H&B stores nationwide, which is also good for men and women alike.

Michael.