PDA

View Full Version : so i bought flax oil... don't tell me i take it like cough syrup

Pages : [1] 2

gotvegan?
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:39 AM
What do I do with this stuff? Just swallow a tablespoon full? I guess I imagined the bottle would have suggestions on it for how to ingest it. Also do I take it everyday? Right now I'm just on "vegan one multiple" vitamin but my hair seems to be losing luster so I thought I should add a little flax. help?

ellaminnowpea
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
You can use flax oil in cereals, oatmeals, and salads. It's recommended to use on cold foods only since the chemical structure of the unsaturated fats can change in higher temperatures. Also, since it's a great source of omegas, it should help with your hair condition. Flax is awesome, I'd have to recommend the seeds since they're more readily absorbed and provide additional fiber. The oil grosses me out, so I prefer the seeds for that reason as well. I would NOT swallow it like cough syrup though ick. Oh and remember to keep it in the refridgerator!

Aradia
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Right now I'm just on "vegan one multiple" vitamin but my hair seems to be losing luster so I thought I should add a little flax. help?

These vitamins can be very misleading. None of them, not even the really expensive ones, will be of much use if you don't have a healthy, balanced diet (boring, overused words I know!). If you're not getting plenty of fresh veg and fruit, and drinking plenty of water, then you're hair isn't going to shine.

Use vitamins as a supplement only, not instead of. When I first became vegan in the 1800's (:rolleyes:) I made the mistake of thining a pill could cure all and I was pretty lazy about my diet.

The best thing you can do for appearance of hair and nails is eat well and drink plenty.

(but of course, you might be eating a great diet anyway.:) )

eco
Mar 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
If you don't like the taste of the flax oil you can buy gelatin-free capsules, but they work out more expensive. http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/841068_Vertese_Flaxseed_Oil_500mg_30_capsules.html

insubordination
Mar 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I like the taste and put it on salads. I sometimes take it like cough syrup.

harpy
Mar 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I put it on my toast, instead of margarine, and then add something else such as yeast extract. The taste does take some getting used to though and you soon notice if it's rancid - so as ella says remember to keep it in the fridge.

Ginger
Mar 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
The only good thing I can say about the taste of flax oil is that it is a teeny-weeny bit nicer than pumpkin seed oil :eek::D

Marrers
Mar 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I've never had pure flax oil but I mix my combination 'omega oil' with balsamic vinegar and have it on salad, or add it to cereal.

rantipole
Mar 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I put it in smoothies so I don't taste it at all. I also add it to salad dressings sometimes.

Cheers,
rant

cobweb
Mar 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
i do slurp it by the spoonful, i also do it with hemp oil (my current favourite) and/or slosh it all over my food.

emmapresley
Mar 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM
i think it tastes a bit 'fishy' off the spoon..:confused:
s'nice over salad with black pepper/lemon juice etc.

the cold pressed seeds i use with raw sweetcorn to make into a raw (dehydrated) bread, and that's nice with squished avocado on top :)

clueless
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I bought flax seed oil but didn't put it in the fridge (oops). Today I bravely tried taking a spoonfull but ended up throwing up.... :o

Let's just say i dont like the taste :faint_smilie:

So I might take your advice rantipole and put it in a smoothie.

tipsy
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I bought flax seed oil but didn't put it in the fridge (oops). Today I bravely tried taking a spoonfull but ended up throwing up.... :o

it was probably very rancid. doesnt keep very long even in the fridge (three weeks maybe?).

mariana
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Let's just say i dont like the taste :faint_smilie:

So I might take your advice rantipole and put it in a smoothie.
Eww...you poor thing. Yeah, tipsy's right, it's probably rancid. The first time I tasted flaxseed oil I wasn't sure what to do with it so I took it by the spoonful...I was so grossed out. I HATE oily stuff, so I have no idea why I thought I would like it. The next day, I mixed it into pasta sauce and totally ruined the flavor of my pasta. After that, I started mixing it with water and lemon juice and drinking it like a shot, but lately I've been mixing it into smoothies. I'd definitely recommend following rantipole's advice on smoothies. :)

clueless
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
it was probably very rancid. doesnt keep very long even in the fridge (three weeks maybe?).

Thanks Tipsy. On the back it says consume within 3 months. But I've probably ruined it now lol. :faint_smilie:

Gorilla
Aug 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
flax oil is totally gross imo. it ruins the flavour of anything it touches. i use the powder, which tastes better, or take a capsule.

threeheadedpuppy
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I tried this stuff by the spoonful, and felt like gagging - i don't think it was gone off or anything - but having a spoonful of any oil would probably have the same effect!

Cherry
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'd rather have olive oil! I can just about swallow a spoonful of flax seed oil without gagging, but I think if I got any again I'd go down the salad dressing route.

Mr Flibble
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've had year old mixed omega oil by the spoonful before - tasted fine to me :)

threeheadedpuppy
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
the "good oil" (tescos sell it) - some hemp mixture is pretty tasty - much nicer than linseed in my opinion - kinda nutty

rianaelf
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah hempseed oil is nice, it does taste nutty and can easily be poured onto salads.
if your worried about your hair in particular you could try MSM which is a natural source of sulphur.
since I started taking MSM pills my hair has grown more in last few months than it has in last ten years!!
http://www.foryourhealth.co.uk/store.asp?pid=104&catID=2

exec
Aug 19th, 2008, 02:18 AM
For all these oils like olive oil and flax oil, is it better to take them raw like cough syrup, put in salads, or to use them in cooking?

rianaelf
Aug 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Definately raw and in salads preferably rather than just take them staright off the spoon!

clueless
Aug 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
For all these oils like olive oil and flax oil, is it better to take them raw like cough syrup, put in salads, or to use them in cooking?

Never use them in cooking, because it destroys the oil and makes them bad for you. Always eat em raw! :D

Tigerlily
Aug 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I always buy flax oil and flax seeds, but I never use them! I hate the taste and the texture of the ground seeds makes me want to gag. I have gotten samples of hemp seeds from the health food store and it's much nicer but pricier.