PDA

View Full Version : Big brands that harm animals/gardening

MinkeyMonkey
Mar 26th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Well, not sure where to post this! I have my seeds of change catalogue all marked up and am just about ready to order my seeds for spring for veggies and flowers. No, I'm not late in the year, my spring won't start for another three months.

Today at work my boss told me that m&m mars bought seeds of change!!!! I had no idea. It reminded me of when estee lauder bought aveda and all my friends still bought aveda because they didn't know. How on earth do I keep up with all these buy-outs? Um, that isn't my question.

My question is, for all you gardeners out there, where do I buy my seeds from? I had been buying from SoC because they are organic, sell heirlooms and old/rare varieties and because of their large community donations/projects. Now not only have they been bought by a company I cannot and would not support, but they have switched to plastic pouches!

I give up. Not really, I just don't know who to buy from.

Any ideas on safe companies to buy seeds from??

Thank you in advance!

veganburgh
Jun 15th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I suppose this response is a few months late, but I only found this forum today. Your answer is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (http://www.southernexposure.com/index.html). SESE offers a huge variety of organic and heirloom seeds. The company is owned and operated by a small income-sharing egalitarian community in Virginia, and the majority of their members are vegan or near vegan. You can check them out at http://www.acorncommunity.org/. They do not grow all of the seeds on their farm, but contract with regional farmers and seed savers, but this is about as non-corporate and eco-friendly as you can get.

MinkeyMonkey
Jun 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Thank you!! I really hate doing all that searching and then not knowing if they are a good company or what they might be up to.

I'll check them out.

:) :)

veganburgh
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Thank you!! I really hate doing all that searching and then not knowing if they are a good company or what they might be up to.

I'll check them out.

:) :)

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any questions about Acorn Community, I have spent some time there.:)