PDA

View Full Version : coconut cake or biscuits - recipe needed

Aradia
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hi all

I've got loads of coconut (desicated) to use up. Does anybody have a great cake or biscuit recipe to share please?

I've had this coconut in the press for a while, but woke up this morning and can't get it out of my head. Must eat, must eat!

eco
Mar 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
This is a cake I make regularly.

Lemony coconut cake

8oz self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 oz desiccated coconut (more if you want it really coconutty)
4 oz sugar
4 floz veg oil
8 floz soya milk (a little more if needed)
2 tsp lemon essence (leave out if you don't want lemon!)

Sift flour and mix all dry ingredients together. Add the oil and mix lightly, add the milk and mix thoroughly. Add lemon essence if you want a lemony coconutty cake. Pour into baking tin and cook at gas mark 4 for about 45 mins or until golden brown.

You can either make vegan butter cream or icing to put on the top of the cake or leave it plain. Sometimes I add chocolate chips to the recipe and use lime juice and zest instead of lemon.

Astrid
Mar 28th, 2008, 12:12 PM
This looks delish. I think I want to try this with lime. Yum! :)

eco
Mar 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
The lime version is my favourite but it's more time consuming because you have to use a zester to get the zest form the lime which is a bit fiddly. Glace cherries also go well with coconut.

Aradia
Mar 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Is that self raising flour Eco?

ta :)

eco
Mar 30th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yes it is Aradia - also forgot to mention you need 2 teaspoons of baking powder - have added it to the recipe :)

Cherry
Mar 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ooh that sounds nice :) I tried to make coconut cakes once for Vegan Biker Boy's birthday but went for carrot and coconut and I have to say, they weren't very nice!! Lime and coconut sounds lovely :)