PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and veggies - too little, too much

Pages : 1 [2]

Seaside
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:09 AM
The Glycemic Index is a measure of how any given food causes a rise in blood glucose after it is eaten. Glucose is given a score of 100, and all other foods are given a score according to how they compare to glucose in causing a blood sugar spike. The problem with the system is that it considers carrots a high GI food, and therefore bad for you if you are worried about your blood sugar control, and that par-boiled white rice has the lowest GI of all rices, recommending it over brown rice, which is a poor nutritional choice when it comes to fiber and nutrients.

What is not taken into account is that foods that are naturally low calorie or low carbohydrate are not going to have the impact as the same volume of pure glucose. For example, eating a tablespoon of pure white sugar is going to send your blood glucose way higher than a tablespoon of carrot or potato (another high GI food). Also, fiber, protein, and fat content of mixed meals will lower the GI of any carbohydrate in ways that cannot be quantified easily.

The key is moderation in any food choice. No one is going to sit down and eat 2 lbs. of carrots, or a whole watermelon, to the exclusion of other nutritious foods at mealtime. For people who are diabetic or hypoglycemic, GIs are a helpful tool in managing blood sugar through diet. People without these health concerns do not have to worry about eating enough fruits to cause blood sugar problems.

If you are substituting sodas and candy for whole fruits, though, or even dried fruits as opposed to fresh ones, you may have a problem! ;)

eve
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:35 AM
cedarblue, here's a listing of foods showing their GI levels:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php

Zool
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM
The key is moderation in any food choice. No one is going to sit down and eat 2 lbs. of carrots, or a whole watermelon, to the exclusion of other nutritious foods at mealtime.

I hate to admit it but the other day I sat down and ate an entire watermelon in one sitting. :o

eve
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I've done that in the past :D

Cryospark
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:51 AM
The Glycemic Index is a measure of how any given food causes a rise in blood glucose after it is eaten. Glucose is given a score of 100, and all other foods are given a score according to how they compare to glucose in causing a blood sugar spike. The problem with the system is that it considers carrots a high GI food

This is not a problem with the system, there is no problem with the GI system it is simply what it is. The only problem is when people put it into use incorrectly.
These foods are high GI because they contain alot of starch, which is how carbohydrates are stored in plants for later use. Starch is more readily usable by the human body for it is not very complex.
It is very simple
low GI to moderate in the morning
High GI later in the day
So as you use up the carbohydrates before sleep. This is why you could possible eat any food you want on this diet, just at the correct time. Limiting fat intake and protein is just a better way of going about it.

kokopelli
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
My understanding is it's best to have just a couple of fruit servings per day. But I've heard some doctors tell some people to have only one. Then I know some folks who just totally pig-out on fruit. :confused:

And I'm wondering, what about for those folks who are high risk for developing diabetes? (it's on both sides of my family)

I have never heard anyone recommend limiting fruit intake!
Presently there is a media campaign by federal health department in Australia recommending everybody eat (a total of) 5 serves of fruit and vegetables every day.

In the UK we've also got a government campaign to get people to eat at least 5 portions of fruit & veg a day. I've never heard of limiting fruit intake either, but I suppose if you ate a lot of dried fruit or drank a lot of fruit juice it may be bad if you have diabetes. Personally I usually have at least 6 portions of fruit a day (including juice and dried fruit), and I'm OK so far!

From what I've heard, the current increase in adult-onset diabetes has been caused by kids eating way too much refined carbohydrates, ie white flour and sugar, rather than too much fruit!

Cryospark
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
They need more because they eat to much maple syrup otherwise ;p
We need just as much as them, our government is saying atleast that amount aren't they? better then nothing i guess.

kokopelli
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Peas'nHominy, do Texan doctors recommend how many potions of MEAT a person should eat every day ;)

I heard that it's against the law to disparage the meat industry in Texas :p

Thanks to everyone for the info about GI, I didn't know what it was either.

Seaside
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Posted by Zool:

I hate to admit it but the other day I sat down and ate an entire watermelon in one sitting. :o

Posted by eve:

I've done that in the past :D
:p
I didn't think it was possible, though I can imagine why you would want to. I can eat a whole one of those cute little yellow cantaloupe-sized watermelons in one go, but not a ten-pounder!

Seaside
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Posted by Cryospark:

This is not a problem with the system, there is no problem with the GI system it is simply what it is.
The authors of the book themselves admit that it is a problem that the classification of healthy foods like carrots and potatoes as foods to avoid because of their high glycemic index will cause people to choose less healthy foods with lower GIs. If a system that has components in it that are inherently easy to misunderstand it is a problem, which is why the emphasis is now on mixed meals, rather than single foods.

Cryospark
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Seems simple enough to me ;p that's the authors of a diet based on the Index I'd assume, not the index itself because it rates things indiscrimately. I removed the word system because it can be confused with diet, things are easily lost in translation ;p
Hmm I wanna houseboat too

Peas'nHominy
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Peas'nHominy, do Texan doctors recommend how many potions of MEAT a person should eat every day ;)

Yes! Great point! Thank you! *duh, what was I thinking* :D

Well, my kids will be VERY happy to get their fill of fruit now. Fortunately, my kids also love veggies.

The hard part for me right now, though, is my new foster daughter, who is sadly obese, will eat fruit all day but no veggies. I'm trying to get her up to 3 servings of veggies a day. She is really enjoying learning about these things and is trying, but it's hard for her. She is almost 7 and not use to eating vegetables! Her fingernails and toenails were even peeling from lack of proper nutrition. :(

She was also not use to drinking water, but she's conquered that now. She's been losing a couple of pounds a week since she's been with me, and basically all I've done so far is changed her drinking habits, sugar-eating habits, and take her to playgrounds a lot. I haven't even tried to put her on a "diet" - just trying to provide for her as I do my own kids. But I was worried about the fruit.

Kurmudgeon
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I recently heard/read we need 14 serves of veggies.

kokopelli
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:04 PM
It sounds like you're doing a great job. Peas'nHominy :)
I wouldn't worry about the fruit too much! She'll probably gradually get a taste for veggies the longer she stays with you. Maybe she'd like salads better than cooked veg, since she likes fruit so much. Maybe she'd eat grated carrot, celery, lettuce, parsley etc, if it was mixed with chopped fruit in a salad.

Anyway, as my son reminded me today, lots of stuff that's classified as vegetables is actually fruit, like tomatoes, cucumber, peppers etc.

Seaside
Jun 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Hmm I wanna houseboat too
;)

Peas'nHominy
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Maybe she'd eat grated carrot, celery, lettuce, parsley etc, if it was mixed with chopped fruit in a salad.

Very good idea!! :)

veggiegirl3
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Is it possible to eat TOO MANY fruits and Veggies as long as you're getting enough calories? I usually eat at least 5 servings of veggies a day and 7 servings of fruit, which is way more than the USDA recomends. How much is too much??

thecatspajamas1
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, I bet you're definitely getting a lot of vitamins! The only problem I could think of would too much fiber, and then having to go to the bathroom all the time. Is that happening?

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM
On a good day, I get around/up to 20 servings of vegetables and fruits (mostly vegetables and up to 3 servings of fruit). I never have a problem visiting the loo too often ;)

Some doctors (pro veg*n ones) say that eating no more than a few servings of fruit a day is best and that the focus should be on vegetables. I am sure you can see who I listen to, based on my preferences :)

veggiegirl3
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Nope, not really... I pee a lot though, because I drink a lot of water.

veggiegirl3
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Is there a problem getting enough protein with mostly vegetables ConsciousCuisine? I've only been Vegan for a few months, so I'm pretty new at this...

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM
veggiegirl3, it depends on what else you eat ;) Also, which veggies you choose to eat. Broccoli has a good amount of high-quality protein.

When I am "on plan" I eat fruits and vegetables and also make sure I get beans, lentils and a small amount of grains, nuts and seeds.