PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and veggies - too little, too much

Pages : [1] 2

Mystic
Nov 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM
Is there such thing? I think I may eat too much fruit

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
I suppose it depends whether or not it 'agrees' with you?
My dentist has told me to go easy on the citrus fruit which, apparently erode your teeth enamel. I only have 2 'fillings', but my front teeth are weak at the ends, little bits have chipped off, and this is his explanation.

casey_veggoddes
Nov 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM
I don't think it's possible to eat too much fruit, the more fruit the better is my motto. But, because fruit is digested differently than other foods it's best to eat it alone on an empty stomach or at least ten minutes before a meal.

John
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM
If you are worrying about eating too much fruit, then I think you are either worrying too much or worrying about the wrong things. :rolleyes:

eve
Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Anyone with type 2 diabetes needs to be very choosy about which fruits and how much of them to eat.

Gorilla
Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
yes Casey i have heard that fruit should always be eaten by itself, and preferably in the morning for optimum digestion.

perhaps you could try replacing some of the fruit you are eating with vegetables, if you feel you're eating too much fruit? was it you Banana who said you were having trouble with diarrhoea-like symptoms? this may be caused by too much fruit, and apparently can be helped with onions, leeks, carrots and other root veg, kale, ginger, cinnamon; rice, oats and spelt for breakfast (i know you love your oatmeal!)

Tigerlily
Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
In the morning? I always get nasty heartburn or upset stomach when eating fruits on an empty stomach...

Peas'nHominy
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
My understanding is it's best to have just a couple of fruit servings per day. But I've heard some doctors tell some people to have only one. Then I know some folks who just totally pig-out on fruit. :confused:

And I'm wondering, what about for those folks who are high risk for developing diabetes? (it's on both sides of my family)

I think of "everything in moderation," but what's that, really? seems too relative to me...

*sincererly and thanks*

adam antichrist
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:35 AM
I have never heard anyone recommend limiting fruit intake!
Presently there is a media campaign by federal health department in Australia recommending everybody eat (a total of) 5 serves of fruit and vegetables every day.

My mum did a diet a few years ago where she ate only fruit until lunchtime (and as much as she liked) and then whatever she wanted for the rest of the day. She lost weight, but she doesn't like fruit, so she couldn't stick to it.
To me, that sounds like heaven. Unfortunately my mother prefers diets that involve some form of animal product, she is one of those people that believes what she reads in the paper and thinks I have gone too far being vegan, and is very challenged by it.

Cryospark
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
Fruit contains complex carbohydrates the bodies preferred fuel, it reaks down slower then other forms of carbohydrate that are very soluable, the quicker something dissolves in water the more likely it will aid in promoting diabetes. Basically what I'm saying is what you eat now put you more at risk of diabetes then fruit. your recommended daily intake in percentage from foods is 10% protein 10% fat and whatevers left complex carbohydrate, the first two are limited having to much of them, which is what happens when u eat meat, will have a dire effect on your health.

Peas'nHominy
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
So it's the protein and fat that should be more closely monitored and not worry about how much fruit? I'm really surprised; I hadn't heard that before. I thought it was that fruit should be limited because of having sugar, and white/processed flour should be basically avoided.

*I've also read that there's a link between diabetes and dairy consumption, but that's obviously not an issue since I'm vegan! :p hee-hee

littleTigercub
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:40 PM
My understanding is that some people limit fruit because of the sugar content. In my opinion, a diet which limits fruit intake cannot be a good diet. Fruit is full of goodness and low in nasties, and the fruit sugar is not as bad as the normal refined stuff. Sweets for diabetics are sweetened with fruit sugar!

Some fruit are high GI, though, but Patrick Holford (ION) has said at a seminar I attended that you can never eat enough of these fruit for them to have an impact. I.e. water melon has a high GI but so little carbs that it is not significant - apologies for not looking up numbers.

littleTigercub

Tigerlily
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
If you're trying to lose weight (or maintain), too many fruits are going to hurt. I know at Weight Watchers, my meetings leader only suggests a few fruits a day (no more than 3) because it will make you gain.

I know for me, when I pig out on fruits, there's always a gain on the scale when I weigh myself.

adam antichrist
Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
I thought it was that fruit should be limited because of having sugar, and white/processed flour should be basically avoided.

Flour contians the simplest of all carbohydrates, starch. The sugar in fruit is called fructose and is made up of starch-like molecules. So while the fructose is breaking down during digestion, these starch chains are released one at a time so to speak... whereas when you eat white flour you get them all at once.

When carbs are digested, if they are not used they are converted to fat for storage until needed. So it stands to reason that something that releases the carb slowly is more likely to be used up through the energy requirements of daily activities.

Cryospark
Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:40 AM
You trust weight watchers Tiger lily? I wouldn't say you were fattened by fruit consumption, carbohydrates as the prefered fuel for cells is used up quickly, the complex ones release slower, if they get stored they are stored as glucogen which is our body starch, easily used up in one session of excercise. Protein however your body is very good at retaining from broken down cells it recycles what it can. Excess protein will be stored as fat also and be harder to use up for it gives 4 times the energy of carbohydrates, harder to use up something with much more energy. Other things halting your weightloss could be toxins in your body they mess with your process of converting glucose into different states, a detox would be a good idea if you find yourself somewhere where you face much pollution, this because you should not be getting polluted from a vegan diet. Weight watchers seem dodgy to me if they were really interested in the consumer and not the money they would possibly notify greenpeace on there position towards GMO but they don't so who knows whats in there food.

Simple carb will last like an hour or two complex 4 hours, apart from ebergy from activity, they are also used to heat you, when you start to feel colder you have runout of energy.
Yah i lost 10 or so kilos in less then a week, more then 10% of my total body weight. Does weight watchers have a success story such as that?
The low GI diet which should be your diet anyway being vegan is the only diet that works, the others cause other problems, the lower the GI the slower the carbs are released, a sweetener in the supermarket which is fruit derived fructose has a GI rating of 17, this is the lowest I've seen mentioned on a product. The best time to eat fruit is in the morning or at lunch after that it shouldn't be neccessary before you sleep.

Mystic
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:35 AM
I have hypoglycemia, so eating low GI is a way of life for me. And I eat a lot of fruit, particularly apples and bananas. I think any diet that limits fruit is rediculous - fruit (and veg) contain so many antioxidants and vitamins that prevent and fight cancer, that it makes no sense to restrict them!

eve
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
As a diabetic I had a very high glucose level, and after discussing my food regimen with my doc, he advised me to cut out watermelon which has very high GI. He recommended other fruits, and probably I have a serving of 5 different fruits each day. The doc also advised me to increase my exercise regime, and for the last several months my glucose reading is in the 'normal' range, and I take no medication, just controlling the level by food and exercise.

Everyone knows about GI, but I had been in ignorance of it at that time. Now I'm careful, and like Banana, eating low GI is a way of life for me too. I also eat from apples, banana, prunes, blueberries, cherries, pawpaw, in the main. Cryospark is also right that the low GI diet for a vegan is the only diet that works, and that the lower the GI the slower the carbs are released. I don't really watch carbs, but believe that by eating grainy bread or brown rice, that is low carb anyway.

Cryospark
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM
GI is easy to check, you could do the same thing with your food in water see how quick it breaks up the quicker the higher the GI, not a foolproof test but yah. It is self evident when you look at wholegrain or brown rice when you look at their less healthy counterparts, they simply take alot longer to absorb water.
You can see how watermelon is high GI because of its liquid content.
GI diet is the diet that works for everyone not just vegans though some health conditions prevent it, the majority of people don't have diseases that prevent the breaking down of certain chemicals.

Pilaf
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
You should avoid or limit processed sugars only. Fructose from natural fruits is digested and broken down very differently in the body. Of course diabetic people should consult their doctor.

cedarblue
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
...er...sorry everyone ..but what does GI stand for?? :confused:

foxytina_69
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
the glycemic index :) it means the level of glucose in each food. (i think, either that or just simply the impact each food has on your blood sugar level)

Mystic
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
You can see how watermelon is high GI because of its liquid content.

Apples and oranges have alow GI and they are watery too :confused:

Mystic
Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
So the government reckon that we should eat 2 fruit and 3 veg each day for health...but the Canadian recommendation is 5 - 10 serves! Can someone please verify why we don't need as much?

cedarblue
Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
the glycemic index :) it means the level of glucose in each food. (i think, either that or just simply the impact each food has on your blood sugar level)

so low gi content is good and high is bad, right?

anyone have a definitive of list of fruits and gi content then? :rolleyes:

Cryospark
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Apples and oranges have alow GI and they are watery too :confused:
citric acid isn't water
Some companies put the number on the box
a cereal is around 40 gi muesli and such you put milk in it the average gi raises as the cereal is broken down by the milk, I have dry cereal and why am i up at 4am....