PDA

View Full Version : Leamington

Mali
Mar 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hello everybody!

I am from Germany and I am going to visit Leamington from this Saturday 05 April until Saturday 03 May. :)

Is there anyone who would like to show me where I can buy vegan food or which restaurant vegan food sells?

I would be very thankful.

Regards
Mali

bryzee86
Mar 31st, 2008, 10:36 AM
hey mali. THis place looks good (and to be honest, the only place i've found):

http://www.gaia.coop/

There's also a chain health food store called "Holland and Barrett on Warwick Street in Leamington Spa as well, they do a fair few vegan things. Will you have access to a cooker whilst you're here?

Cherry
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
We live close to Leamington. Gaia's the shop where we get our veggie bag from :) It's a great shop, sells everything. And yes, as well as Gaia, there's H&B. I think you've pretty much got Leamington covered Bryzee, unfortunately! If you want to eat out your best bet is probably Pizza Express see here (http://www.pizzaexpress.com/find-a-restaurant/) as their pizza bases are vegan. Or our house :D

What are you going to be doing there?

Mali
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Bryzee

Thanks for your quick answer. I will take a look at the shop.

I will stay in a host familiy and in this case, yes, I think I will have access to a cooker.

edit:
Hello Cherry

May I ask what this veggie bag is?

I am a trainee for office communication administrator in cologne and got the opportunity to make an internship abroad. It will take place in Kenilworth.
I am still searching for a good transport connection between both towns.

bryzee86
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM
I think Cherry just means a mixed organic bag of vegetables. A lot of organic shops do this kind of scheme.

Well, if you have a cooker available, Holland & Barrett as well as some major supermarkets (such as Tesco, Sainsbury's) do some things you can cook for yourself.

Mr Flibble
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:46 AM
It's a mixed bag of fruit and veg which is supposidly locally sourced, however they bulk it up with things from abroad dependant on supply. They deliver for free in Leamington, by cycle. It varies in value tremendously, sometimes you get way more for your money than you'd get in a supermarket, othertimes not at all. You can choose a couple of things you dislike, then it's random when you get. At the moment it's rubbish value for me, as being winter it's mainly bags of green things which only Cherry likes, but hopefully in the next few months there'll be some more colour and fruit in general.

There's a small health food shop in Warwick and one in Kenilworth, but neither are as good as Gaia.

Mali
Mar 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks! This bag sounds good.

Do someone knows something about the public transport ability in Leamington and Kenilworth?

Cherry
Mar 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
It seems you can get between the two by rail or bus: travel to Kenilworth website (http://www.kenilworthweb.co.uk/by_bus.htm)

Of course, if you can get to the Gaia shop itself regularly it's probably better value just to choose your own selection of fruit and veg. And then you can buy organica chocolate :)

bryzee86
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:43 PM
it's always chocolate with you, isn't it Cherry? :p

Cherry
Mar 31st, 2008, 03:16 PM
That and lettuce/spinach/Kale/Broccoli. Or pie. Or aubergine. Or cake. Or raspberries,blueberries and strawberries. I just like eating, really :)

Mr Flibble
Sep 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
For any lurkers randomly reading this thread:

Gaia are trialling a scheme of openning thursday evenings till 7.30pm. This is massively good news for people like I who have 0% chance of getting there during their usual working hours mon-fri and aren't always around on saturdays.

Lisey_duck
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Leamington Veggies and Vegans (http://www.leamingtonveggies.makessense.co.uk/index.html)might be useful to someone - the site doesn't seem to have been updated for a bit, but there are a few places recommended. (The only one I can vouch for the brilliance of is Gaia, as I moved out of the area five years ago)

threeheadedpuppy
Sep 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
This idea rocks - i think all shops should open at 5:30 so that i can go look in them. lunch time just isn't long enough to eat and go buy groceries and toys. Thursday will be my new day to buy something new and different to eat from gaia.

Mr Flibble
Sep 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I think all shops should open when people who earn money can shop there. It seems obvious to me? ;)

Lisey_duck
Sep 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
True - the main reason I use Teh Evul Teh Sco so much is because there's eff-all else open when I finish work in the evenings. (Well, there's an asda closer to my house, but jeez that's worse!)