PDA

View Full Version : thyme & red onion tart

cedarblue
Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
this is a viva! recipe, which turned out exactly as it looked in the photo!

serves 4-6 (!?)

pastry;
150g/5oz wholewheat flour
65g/ 2 & 1/2oz marg
40-60ml cold water
pinch salt
25g/1oz walnuts finely chopped (optional)

filling;
olive oil
3 medium red onions, finely sliced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp unrefined sugar
130g/3 1/2oz silken tofu
150ml/1/4 pt soya creme
1 tbs dijon mustard
s & p

set oven to 200/400/gas 6.

for pastry;
sift flour and salt into a bowl, adding the sifted bran back in. rub in marg till it resembles fine breadcrumbs. mix in nuts if using then enough water to form a dough. turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic. wrap in plastic and chill for 30mins.
(i didn't use the nuts.)
when rested, roll out on a floured surface then lift into a greased and floured flan dish. (if the pastry breaks up it's easy to stick and patch it together in dish). prick base with fork and bake blind (with paper and beans) for 10-15mins till lightly golden.

filling;
heat a little oil in frying pan and sweat onions over a low heat for 20 mins till very soft and transluscent, stirring often.
stir in thyme, sugar and seasoning and cook for further 5 mins till caramelised.
allow to cool slightly.

in a blender, put tofu, creme mustard and seasoning till smooth and creamy.

add onions into pastry case then mix tofu mixture into onions a little and smooth.
bake for 30-45mins till golden and set.

my variations on the recipe;
i left out the nuts.
i only added 1/2 tbs mustard and found it was more then enough. you could add some melting cheeze perhaps to give it a cheezey taste?
i made the pastry in the morning (you could even do it the night before) then just prepped the filling, added to the cold case for final cooking.
i added some onion/nigella seeds to the pastry mix.

it filled that 'quiche/flan' hole i had!

p.s. i didn't tell my family it had tofu and vegan creme in it as i know that would have put them off! - but they ate it all up anyway!! :)

scarlett
Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
yum, yum ! sounds lovely, will definitely be giving it a go :D

harpy
Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, it does. Had just been fancying onion tart, too!

Was also thinking that pissaladiere, onion pizza from the S. of France, could be vegan if you left out the anchovies? Here's a version (with anchovies) from the blessed Delia, which sounds similar to what I remeber doing.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/pissaladiere,1416,RC.html

Kitteh
May 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM
This looks great! Will have to try this next time I feel like quiche

Roxy
May 7th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I want to see photos of this please :)

jomo
Sep 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
that just sounds totally delicious, I am a huge fan of onion pies, onion pizzas, Thanks!

:smoochie: