PDA

View Full Version : marvellous meatless moussaka

cedarblue
Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
here is the link to the vegweb recipe for this dish.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8765.0

i made some changes which improved the recipe for me.

main tip!!! - pre-boil or steam potatoes a little before to ensure they are fully cooked - i am fed up of using raw potatoes then finding they take much, much longer than the recipe states, to cook soft.

i griddled the aubergine and courgette on a ridged griddle pan instead of grilling/broiling.
i pre-steam the pots till just tender.
2 tomatoes isn't enough! - i used a can of chopped toms.
i left out the mushrooms & pepper.
i chopped the courgette into small peices when mixing up with mince.
i left out the cinnamon and used only a little sprinkle of nutmeg.
to the sauce i added a load of grated melting mozz cheezely and some nutritional yeast for good cheezey taste and i added a few sliced of mozz to the top when putting in the oven to brown up nice and crispy.
i doubled the amounts for the sauce to make sure it was saucy enough, i hate dry dishes.
i used frozen mince.

i prepped the veg earlier in the day then just made 'meaty' filling and sauce then assembled and cooked.

harpy
Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yes, you need plenty of topping for moussaka! I've made something similar to this using an aduki bean filling, as am not a big fan of the fake mince.

cedarblue
Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
yes, i think a 'small' sized bean would be good alternative and less processed too - in fact that's a brilliant idea!! well done the harp-sichord!! :D

harpy
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
I have had a lentil-based version too, but aduki beans are a pretty colour :o and seem to go well with aubergines.