PDA

View Full Version : Rice milk, orange juice, and pasteurization

casey_veggoddes
Nov 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM
Quick questions...

Is rice milk pastuerized?

Are there any brands of oj that are NOT pastuerized?

(hopefully I spelled it right)

snivelingchild
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure there aren't (unpasteurized OJ). I've got a citrus juicer to juice fresh tangerines (better than oranges) instead.
There might be unpasteurized nut/rice milks, but I've never seen one.
Why? Are you looking for unpasteurized?

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM
I buy an unpasteurized orange jucie from Trader Joe's when I can't find good oranges and I need juice. Unfortunately, it's not organic so I only use it when I must.

casey_veggoddes
Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
I'm pretty sure there aren't (unpasteurized OJ). I've got a citrus juicer to juice fresh tangerines (better than oranges) instead.
There might be unpasteurized nut/rice milks, but I've never seen one.
Why? Are you looking for unpasteurized?

Yep. I'm sure it would be impossible to find unpastuerized juice, so I think I'm gonna start making it myself.

I bought some rice milk today (Westsoy brand) and it doesn't say on the box that it was pastuerized, usually things that are have it printed on the packaging so maybe it actually isn't :confused: I think I'll call the company and ask.

Thanks for the replies SC and CC ;)

chakra
Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:42 PM
There was a line of unpasteurized juices that were widely available until an e-coli outbreak ended that practice. I've forgotten the name but I think they were out of New Zealand with worldwide distribution. I find the not from concentrate organic OJ, while pasteurized, still seems to have very wholesome flavor. I wouldn't know it was pasteurized in a blind test.

If you want unpasteurized juice you should make it yourself. Just to be safe.

btw...doesn't seem applicable to soy or rice milks since the process used to cook the stuff would involve lengthly boiling anyway.