PDA

View Full Version : Salad cream

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pansypuss
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Has anyone tried to make salad cream? I don't mean mayo but the much more vinegary salad cream?

bryzee86
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Well you can buy some vegan salad cream over here, so i've not felt the need to. You could try wizzing some silken tofu up with mustard, cider vinegar, oil, salt etc, to taste? Give it a go and see!

sugarmouse
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I tried yesterday!It went horribly wrong.lol

cobweb
Apr 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
bryzee where can you get vegan salad cream (as opposed to mayonnaise). I've hear people mention it before but never can remember where it's found?.

bryzee86
Apr 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I got tesco's healthy living one last time. Someone mentioned Asda doing one I think?

cobweb
Apr 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM
oh, i'm stuffed then! - was hoping it might be co-op or somerfield! :D

Risker
Apr 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Morrisons low fat one is vegan, as is one of the asda ones.

bryzee86
Apr 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Oh yeah...it was you who said about the asda one. Sorry!

cobweb
Apr 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM

well i'm still stuffed, then, we only have a co-op, a somerfield (that didn't get taken over by morrisons) and a lidl here :D.
never mind, i did find plamil mayo here recently so that'll do nicely.

jomo
Sep 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Creams are the tough part,the vegan "Nayonaise" s replace the emulsive capacity of eggs with something, probably lecithin, or some other oil-water mixer. I find that using this as a base, combined with some tahini makes a nice twist.

I would use as a base, 1-2 TB of very light tahini, mix it with 1-2 tsp of vegan mayonnaise, and mix that very well-- it can be thick like peanut butter at this point. Then add a TB of wine vinegar, or lemon juice. I would whip in a bit of water, up to 1/4 cup to get the proper consitency. season with dill, or a bit of grated lemon rind with some poppy seeds, finely chopped parsley and very finely chopped French shallots (that look like little purple onions with a brown skin). some Dijon mustard is very nice, the old style with the seeds is nice too. a good pinch of salt. Many commercial Vegan mayonaise is actually too sweet for my liking, but with enough acidity and salt, it is less overwhelming.

vava
Sep 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I looked for months and tried many recipes for mayo and salad cream without success until this....

Soyannaise - the recipe is from a book called VEGAN it is by tony weston and Yvonne Bishop and it is a really great book. Make this recipe and then buy the book and make the AMAZING recipes in it.

This is the easiest recipe to make ever and I will never buy mayo or salad cream again after making and tasting it.

125ml - 4fl oz Sweetened soya milk
pinch of salt
100ml - 3.5 fl oz of sunflower oil
1 dessertspoon of white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove (optional)
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
25ml - 1fl oz flax oil

Put the soya milk and salt into a saucepan and heat until hot, but not boiling.

While whisking the milk with an electric mixer or hand held blender (I use a stick type blender) add the oil and vinegar.

Still whisking add the crushed garlic if using and the mustard and flax oil. Refrigerate and use as required. It will keep for up to a week. I use more vinegar for the salad cream version.

And that is it - really really easy and the result is fantastico. I didnt use the garlic and i added more vinegar. I also used Frenchs American mustard - I prefer this mustard it tastes like the juice in piccallili.

I really can't recommend this book highly enough it introduced me to a product called Ackee as well which is a tropical fruit used in Jamaican cooking. It looks and has the same feel as egg yolk and there is a recipe for quiche using ackee in this book which tastes amazing (not like eggs).

Pansypuss
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I've got this book and agree, it's fantastic. I made the soyannaise and it is good. I hadn't thought to try making it more vinegary to make salad cream.
I found a recipe for a mayo which was easier though. It is from a little cook book from the Treehouse in Norwich (closed now sadly). 175ml sunflower oil, 25ml lemon juice, 100ml unsweetened soya milk, salt and pepper to taste. I add 1tsp dijon mustard and 1/2tsp sugar. Just put everything together and liquidise. I use one of those hand held plunger thingies. Very easy and much superior to anything you can buy in my opinion.
Back to the book though, the only thing I find a bit off putting is some of the rather obscure ingredients which are difficult to find and expensive as well. Having said that, I just adjust the recipes to what I have and they still taste good! It would be nice to know what they are meant to taste like though! Mild coconut curry and pecan pie are my favourites.
My daughter (20) and a friend made us a six course meal a few weeks ago and the main course was Inca parcels from 'Vegan'. The used cous cous instead of amaranth, arame instead of seaweed flakes, olive oil instead of the required pumpkin seed oil and avocado oil and ordinary paprika instead of smoked paprika (I had some of that once and didn't like it one bit so that was fine). The result was great, in fact the whole meal was wonderful. I would rate it higher than Millenium in SF:D Unfortunately she is off to uni on Sunday so I don't suppose this will happen again for quite a while if ever.:sad:

twinkle
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
well i'm still stuffed, then, we only have a co-op, a somerfield (that didn't get taken over by morrisons) and a lidl here :D.
never mind, i did find plamil mayo here recently so that'll do nicely.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a vegan salad cream in the co-op. Once again, it's one of the low fat ones. I have a feeling I bought it but was too scared to try it (especially as it has artificial sweeteners in which I usually avoid) and it went past the sell by date.

Gorilla
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
yes, i buy Co-op low fat salad cream, tastes just like i remember it from before i was vegan.

cobweb
Sep 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
i had a look but couldn't find any in co-op or tesco, the ones here only have limited ranges of everything, but i have gone back to good old Plamil mayo anyway!.

Est
Sep 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Sainsburys "Be Good To Yourself" salad cream (the low fat one) is vegan - the only cruelty-free one out of a whole 4-foot section :rolleyes:

Sarah_
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I wish I knew what salad cream was. :(
Is it salad dressing?

Pansypuss
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
It's like mayo but a bit thinner and more vinegary. Much stronger flavour than mayo. Really good in salad sandwiches!

Sarah_
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ohh, I thought-never mind. Is it a bit like Miracle Whip?

Gorilla
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
err, we don't have Miracle Whip in the UK. salad cream is yellowish, thicker than salad dressing but still runny, and like a very strong vinegary mayonnaise. very nice on chips/fries :)

Sarah_
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, I wanna try some of this veganized then. Miracle Whip is sort of like that, it's a bit sweeter than regular mayo though, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to put it on fries/chips.
I guess it's not the same, but people use it for tuna and turkey sandwiches and whatnot.

Orange-powered
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen a vegan salad cream in the co-op. Once again, it's one of the low fat ones. I have a feeling I bought it but was too scared to try it (especially as it has artificial sweeteners in which I usually avoid) and it went past the sell by date.

I bought this aswell, and only used a little bit. I didn't like it, it isn't the same as the stuff I had before being vegan. I was also put off by the artificial sweeteners but was just happy that I found a vegan one. I've got loads of it left though - maybe I'll try it again.

piggy
Sep 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
i like a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard. not sure if that's creamy enough though :D but it's good :p

Risker
Dec 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Good news everyone!

Waistline salad cream has a new "improved" recipe, it's been "improved" with... egg

Gorilla
Dec 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
:rolleyes: i hope Sainsburys and Co-op don't follow suit with their low-fat versions!